• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Year's DS Ride reports 1-1-2010

Re: New Year's DS Ride reports

flew into kyle with my broken wing...... now the girlfriend is trying to wring my neck...

Fun ride. Coopers was delicious. Thanks to Richard for putting this together.

The pre-lunch ride was a lot of fun. I had never ridden CR310 & CR315 before, there were a couple of pretty good water crossings out there.

After lunch I broke off in a smaller group lead by Richard (thanks again, Richard). We hit Keyserville Rd, then looped back heading east via CR110 (I think). After hitting a nice paved road with a good view of enchanted rock, we decided to slab it home on 290. I got home a little after dark.

Good times :thumb:

flew into kyle with my broken wing...... now the girlfriend is trying to wring my neck...

Hey,

I guess it was that low water crossing that did it for you. I aired down the tires of another BMG GS when we stopped at Round Mountain. I think it helped his heavy bike in getting across the rocky bottom portion of the river with better traction. I remember you mentioned that you had once broken your clavicle recently. I hope it is not too serious. I guess you can't splint that part of the body.

I plan to add more later to the trip report. I ended up with about 270 miles on the odometer on the WR250. It was around 45 degrees on the way back to Austin.

The test ride on Richard's Husky was awesome. It has some serious torque.

Later,

Red Brown

Had a blast as usual, was great to see everyone again!

I have a few video files showing several different folks crossing the rivers but don't really have a place to upload them to. If anyone knows of a free site let me know and I'll upload them.

Here's a few picts that I took:

DSCF0941.jpg

DSCF0949.jpg

DSCF0956.jpg

DSCF0944.jpg

Excellent ride today boys. I was really bummed that I forgot my camera.
I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of the water crossing!! :rider:

missed out :tears: slip and fall this morn :doh: learned something new... see y'all next time, looked awsome...

The first ride of 2010

Excellent ride today. Thanks to all who attended. Here's my ride report and pics.

It was a chilly 28 degrees at 7:30 this morning but the weatherman promised lots of sun and a high of nearly 60 degrees. It was as good of weather as we had any hope to expect for early January. An excellent winter's day ride.

About 27 riders met up in the old Albertson's parking lot in Oak Hill to kick off the first dual sport ride of 2010. Lots of familiar faces were in the crowd but quite a few new faces were in attendance too. Greetings and introductions were the first order of the day. I grabbed my camera and snapped a few photojournalism type shots of the meet and greet going on.

FJR Bandit (Dave) and I arrived early for a little breakfast at the Jim's Restaurant next door to our meeting location.
755771196_how6B-L.jpg

755772891_6C6Jm-L.jpg

755772609_6JmwH-L.jpg

755771720_fKqyD-L.jpg

755772171_VsSGW-L.jpg

755771428_rrniq-L.jpg

After a brief riders meeting we split into 3 groups in order to make it a little easier on everyone. Matt and Justin "volunteered" to each lead a group. Thank you to both you guys.

Another 5 riders or so joined us 45 minutes later at our first stop in Round Mountain, including a rider and passenger in a Ural Sidecar rig.
755773365_tqzSg-L.jpg

755774126_uvtmb-L.jpg

You've got to admit there is just something cool about a Ural sidecar. It just oozes a certain style.

Last edited:

wife asked 1) did you get hurt, and 2) did you bring BBQ home

luckily I answered no and yes in that order

I had plotted a route that would take us to the world famous Cooper's BBQ in Llano. I love that place and it helps that two of the best dual sport roads within 100 miles of Austin are right on the way.

CR 310 (Click Road) and CR 315 are as good as any dual sport roads in the hill country. Both roads are fun and scenic but not particularly difficult. They are both fairly maintained by the county and quite passable on any adventure bike. Aside from some sandy patches neither is particularly challenging (unless it's rained and then both get muddy and slick as all get out).

On the other hand, both have multiple low water crossings that can be a real handful. CR 310, in particular, has a low water concrete crossing that is capable of defeating the best of riders. For whatever reason Texas has a version of green algae that thrives on concrete low water crossings. This particular algae really is as slick as ice and can have a motorcycle on its side before the rider can even get his foot off the pegs.

Here's what the crossing looks like.
726204631_69QyQ-L.jpg

That shot was taken Thanksgiving weekend 2009 and not much had changed between then and today.

I crossed first, parked my bike, grabbed my camera and waited for events to unfold. I didn't have to wait long.

755787730_tdUiE-L.jpg

755788230_sNnQk-L.jpg

After a few riders had crossed, it was DirtBomb (Chris) time. He started off with fine form...
755789656_DAQLp-L.jpg

things were completely under control...
755789949_YQY2Z-L.jpg

a quick wave to the camera right before making it safely across...
755790402_mXGiH-L.jpg

and disaster strikes. The algae would not be denied and Chris went down. A single moment of distraction lead to his downing.
755790844_cKDst-L.jpg

Last edited:
Dual Sport traffic jam

755897014_P8Fos-M.jpg

Great time today everyone! A solid time! Look forward to the next ride. And yes it was fun even on a GSA:trust:

Thanks again Richard for setting the ride up! Nice routing!

Well it wasn't Colon to Cordoba, but it was close. At least sometimes it felt close, trying to chase the mad-Strom rider at 70+ mph on dirt roads. You know who you are, Schorr (initially got my Davids mixed up) :).

I took very few pics today and the ones I did take mostly sucked. Washed out shots of tons of people all looking off in different directions. It's much easier to get good shots when I wear my backpack and am able to attach the camera to one of the straps for quick access, but not today.

I did get a quick few.... the day started with this while grabbing some fuel before meeting Tom and Randy at 2222 and Mopac.

755951182_qB59W-L.jpg

Only 8k and she just developed an oil leak at the base of the cylinder on the right side :doh:.

The obligatory shot of bikes stacking up at the 10:30 meet at Albertsons. We did get some weird looks from the two HD riders I saw meeting there as well. "All those bikes and NO CHROME??" is what they were thinking.

755951446_ySVui-L.jpg

It was nice to see the regular crew, some guys I hadn't seen since TAR, and meet a few new DS'ers. (Richard, you rock for putting these together. :clap: Nice catch on the CR310 crossing crash as well, getting the guy to wave and all :eek2: ).

Our motley crew all starting intently at everywhere but the camera. Maybe I need to say something next time... I believe Stormtrooper called a Nature break. You'd think he'd have a latrine on board that thing?? Sure made for a great sweep rider though... if I missed the size of the bike, or the twin headlights, he'd stand up and wave. 6'2" rider, plus 5' tall bike... hard to miss. :) (BTW, what I'm really doing in this picture is just drooling over the Orange bike... :drool: )

755945687_xRRwN-L.jpg

Obligatory shot of another logjam of DS riders at a water crossing on 315 maybe? This one had a pretty good hole on the right side that about ate a large BMW... but then the left side got clogged up by another large bike, so myself and a few smaller bikes braved the deep on the right and puttered through. I so appreciate smaller bikes for this kind of terrain.

755946866_L4Hdn-L.jpg

There was quite a bit of sand after it was well. See my previous remarks about smaller bikes :) I think this is where Ron and his F650GS bit the dirt pretty badly, I hope he made it home OK with his hurt elbow and leg :(

Dan (is that correct, Mr.GreenEggsandHam? I'm terrible with names) and I snuck off the front at the next crossing and managed to rally the troops for a quick trip to Coopers so we could get in front of the line :rider: Always looking out for my guys, that's me. :lol2:

755950360_igxNu-L.jpg

I have a few more shots but they're no good. After Coopers we beat feet along the rest of Richard's route in an attempt to make it back to civilization before dark, which we mostly accomplished. Those little roads to the west and south of Enchanted Rock are great fun. Once back on 1323, we cheated and jumped off onto Althaus-Davis - 3347 - 310A- 310 back to 71 for one more little mouthful of dirt. There were dogs, cows, and deer, so the speed dropped steadily from 70+ to something a little more sane. I say a "little" more sane, because I've never seen a Vstrom with street tires jumping cattleguards and flat-tracking gravel corners before. You know who you are, Schorr. :giveup:

About 265 miles for me today, and only chilled fingers to show for it, quickly warmed up on my screaming wife and toddler ;-).

Last edited:

Dude??? What happened??

And oh yeah, I have a bunch of video of the first big crossing on 310 where MedicJeff graciously laid it down right before the dry pavement, but I need a better way of processing and uploading it...

Dude??? What happened??

I guess it was that low water crossing that did it for you. I aired down the tires of another BMG GS when we stopped at Round Mountain. I think it helped his heavy bike in getting across the rocky bottom portion of the river with better traction. I remember you mentioned that you had once broken your clavicle recently. I hope it is not too serious. I guess you can't splint that part of the body.

Well, 17 inch street tires are just not made to push deep sand. I was sitting there watching it all unfold before I even took off.
This is not the first time I have broken that collar bone. Not recently, but about 20 years ago in deep sand off of a roping horse. This time it was get back on and ride home.
Arm is secured and nice hard butt chair with a narrow back for awhile.

Gotta look at it with a possitive side ..... it just re-enforced to the 8 year old with his first bike "ALWAYS WEAR A HELMENT''.
Richard, I appreciate the pic of the water crossing showing that.

Keep the reports and video coming. I'm gonna be home for a couple of days!!!

BK

Last edited by a moderator:

Great to meet you guys today, excellent job putting this together Richard. This was my first water crossing on a bike, so needless to say I was a little apprehensive. After the first big one the rest were no sweat..I am glad I did not see anyone go down before I had to cross, that was very thoughtful of you guys to wait.

PICT0001-1.jpg

Didn't get to take many pics, but here are a few random shots to check out.

PICT0002-1.jpg

PICT0003-1.jpg

PICT0008-1.jpg

PICT0012-1.jpg

PICT0013-1.jpg

Ouch, hope he is OK...

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

PICT0009-1.jpg

Clocked 217 miles, Had to split off after Cooper's:eat:, had to get back by 5:00..
Look forward to doing it again, perhaps when it's a little warmer out:sun:

500 miles DS ride, what a start to the new year. Richard, that was a fun ride and great food. Thanks! :clap::clap: The Coopers in Llano is a lot better then the one in Junction. I have some pics but I'll post them later. I made it home around 7:30PM a little cold and a little sore.

So what was the final count? How many riders? How many down? How many break downs? I know of 4 riders down, 1 stalled, 1 stuck and as far as I know only 1 injury. Did I miss something?

Hope to see all at KKKK in Feb.

If you call yourself a motorcycle rider, you gotta ride. This is the thought that got me out of the house in temps a little cooler than I normally put up with. I put a quick charge on the DRZ and it fired right up. It was a beautiful day.

Running a little late, but I knew Rich would wait for me. .....NOT.

Nahhh. I figured I was too late so with the Albertson's parking lot looking empty, I hooked it straight out 71 for Round Mountain, arriving just in the nick of time. Rich and a resonable body of 10-12 riders were just heading out. "Who are all those other guys back at the station," I wondered?

Great ride. Back home it only took a couple of hours to bring the core temperature back up to normal. Some guys rode a lot further than me. Great meeting up with new and old faces.
OK, to the pics!

Sandy Creek low water crossing. The riders seemed to multiply.
756067281_eeEwG-L.jpg

You must be Milton Otto. I recognized your helmet.
(My helmet??? Now what could be distinctive about my helmet? Its plain vanilla white. ... Oh yeah, my helmet!)
WiseAker:rider::rider: :giveup:

756067461_rBGsv-L.jpg

I hate it when this happens.
One thing about Two-Wheeled Texan riders. When a rider goes down, everyone rushes to help.
Hummmmmmm.

756067404_3miYz-L.jpg

Stingray Scott makes it look easy.
756067222_HN8rp-L.jpg

Classic rodeo style
756067339_Q6PyB-L.jpg

Great pictures and what an adventure especially with all those pesky water crossings. Looking forward to more!!

Sorry I missed this one, I spent the day enclosing the top of the chicken corral after watching a Chicken hawk dive in a kill one of our chickens, They dont call em chicken hawk's for nothing, Awesome ride reports and photo's, Sorry to see a couple of spill's, Great to see a big turn out, Happy new year all. SZ.

Made it home OK. 275 on the clock.
Nursed a swollen elbow and baseball sized knot on the leg after my get off.
The MX boots would have protected the leg but could not get them under the shifter on the Beemer. Guess the jacket armor moved around a little to much to protect the elbow. Neither injury is serious. Only the pride is injured.
After 40 years of street riding this was my first actual DS ride. It was great!
The BMW will be retired from this kind of stuff. Only damage was a broken turn signal . The new WR is still on the lift awaiting the rest of the farkles to be installed.
Many thanks to Richard for putting this act together and many thanks for the guys who help with repairing the top box.

I really appreciate the fact that everyone waits at the water crossings to ensure everyone makes it across OK. This kind of brotherhood makes this group special to me.

Can't wait for the next one.

Rick M and his KLR eat it in the soft sand. Look carefully, you can see a picnic basket sized rock wedged in front of the rear wheel.
756191698_gCzqk-L.jpg

Hahaha Tom, I'm sure they're glad you've immortalized the crossing with their get-offs :lol2:

Very sorry to hear about the broken collar bone and glad to hear that you will mend Ron. That ride would be a completely different experience on the WR... I'll bet you'd be pullin wheelies through the crossings :rider:

Nice helmet Milton.

...continuing...

Chris was down but uninjured and the bike wasn't really any worse for the wear. Chris uprighted the bike and pushed it off the bridge to recheck himself and the bike. A few minutes later he had his camera out and was photographing others attempting the water crossings. Chris rode with us the rest of the day. All's well that ends well.
756234845_bmAFo-L.jpg

As you may have guessed, I got a lot of photos at this particular water crossing. In fact, after we all finally made it across this crossing I took only one other photograph the entire day. I apologize for slacking off.

I did get some pretty good photos of many of the riders at this crossing. I didn't get everyone, but I did get most. I'll just post a few of them here but all the pics are posted in my smugmug album. If you rode with the group today and want to see if I got a picture of you, here's the link to all the pics. Feel free to download any or all the pictures.

The next generation. Centex Tom brought his son today. It was young Ryan's first dual sport ride. Welcome, Ryan! I'm glad you rode with us and I hope you had an adventure. You did great today so tell your dad you need to go ride Big Bend next. :-P
755789367_gVHsi-L.jpg

Rick M rode the world's best looking KLR today. He washed it just yesterday but that didn't stop him from crossing with gusto and getting the bike dirty today. Here he is making the KLR earn its pay.
755813749_gfvos-L.jpg

The V-Strom (650 or 1000) really is an adventure bike and is quite capable of handling any dual sport road in the hill country. Several riders proved this fact again today.
755814567_bJ9n5-L.jpg

755828776_7YYMg-L.jpg

Strom Power. Throwing the fist of defiance for the camera...
755829176_ULtxA-L.jpg

...nearly proved fatal. In the exact same place that Chris went down earlier, the "wave to the camera" coincided with "a loss of traction". Luckily the rider saved it and kept the bike upright. It was a little ugly, but that's still much better than going down.
755829532_RA3uQ-L.jpg

The Ural w/sidecar handled this crossing with ease. The two sandy crossings further up the road proved to a bit more challenging, but they did make it through.
755811878_fvZeP-L.jpg

Some riders crossed with a lot of enthusiasm, as demonstrated here. I'm a chicken so I creep slowly across these things. Those braver than me cross faster, which sprays water everywhere and makes for a much more dramatic photo.
755829895_bKrt4-L.jpg

After this crossing, there are a few more little ones on CR 310 but nothing of real interest. CR 315, however, crosses Sandy Creek twice. The reason it's called Sandy Creek is because, well, it's really sandy. Which makes the crossings a bit challenging because the sand is loose and you can lose a front end in it in a heartbeat. Or sink both tires in the sand, sticking the bike. Or hit a really big rock and cause your bike to do unexpected things. In short, it's harder than it looks. My apologies for not getting more shots.
726206688_yWKdG-L.jpg

After a few hours of getting everyone across all the water, we made a bee-line for Llano and Coopers BBQ. I had originally expected that we would arrive around 12:30 p.m. or so. But, it takes a lot longer to get 30 riders across all those water crossings than it does to get 4-5 across, so we were running 2 hours later than I had planned.

Which meant a decision had to be made after lunch - keep going or head for home. If we stuck to the original route I knew we would not get back to Austin before dark. I told the group that those who definitely wanted to get home before dark should skip the rest of the planned route and head back.

My group of 7 decided to keep going, so after lunch we rode further west for more dirt. A circuitous route looped us down several fun dirt roads and around the back side of Enchanted Rock.
755830988_bfRwr-L.jpg

At this point we were losing daylight fast so I made a command decision to abandon the rest of the route and head straight for Austin at warp speed. As it turns out, warp speed for a dual sport bike is somewhat short of actual warp speed, so we were racing the sun and it was winning. As we rode east on Hwy 290, riders slowly exited the group, headed for home on whatever route best suited them. Milton and I ended up riding together in the dark. I made it home just a few minutes after the last rays of daylight were gone.

I really had a good tome today. Thanks again to all who came out for the ride.

Last edited:
Back