• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

newbie Travis here

redtex

Reaction score
hi, everyone! I'm Travis. I'm a newbie, not just to the site, but to cycling as a whole. I am excited to be on the hunt for my first bike and for bike communities! This community comes recommended to me from a friend and mentor at work.

I hope to have things to post, in the future, but for now I think I'll be reading, asking questions, and learning!

Cheers and happy trails!
-trav

Welcome!

And if you're available on Thursday's from 11:00am to about 1:30pm, a big group of us first meet at Billys Burgers (corners of Burnet Rd/Hancock) at 11, eat and leave about 12:30. Then a smaller group heads up Burnet about 3 miles to the Hot Rod Coffee Trailer for beverage/conversation before we all scatter. Oh, no problem on not having a bike either. :trust:

What kind of riding are you interested in? Dualsport? Cruising? Touring? Long Distance travel? Commuting?

Have you got gear and your MSF yet? (check out the Pay It Forward section within For Sale on gear)

Welcome to TWT. As Scott suggests, show up at one of the Meet & Greets. When it comes to bikes, there'll be one of everything there, along with lots of friendly folks who will be happy to show their rides off to you, & maybe let you sit on them for sizing.

:welcome:

Couple of good new rider (err, or any rider) reads: Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough, and The MSF Guide to Motorcycling Excellence (2nd edition).

-M38A1 - thanks for the skinny on the ride on Thursdays and for the scoop on where to look for gear, etc! I've got my eye on a 1972 BSA A65 Lightning. It's in the pre-renewal stage, right now, so i'll have a more definite on it-and-my realtionship soon (I reeeeeally want it). I'll go check out gear soon.

-tshelfer - thanks! I do want to show up to one of the meet-n-greets, and soon. It'd be helpful for me to get a feel for what people ride, why, and their experiences with bikes so far. As mentioned above, I am aiming at a BSA lightning, but I want to remain open to many options. Hope to see y'all soon!

-texan & guru - thank y'all! It's nice to be here (seriously nice folks here)!

-sllr - thanks for the scoop on the ride reads. I've been wondering about what literature might be helpful. I look forward to looking these up poring over them. Thanks.

-gravel guy - thanks for the skinny on the pie run! I'm going to be out o' pocket this coming weekend, but I hope to make a ride soon. It sounds like y'all are a fairly active group, and clearly friendly, so I look forward to catching up with y'all soon!

Cheers, friends.
-trav

thanks for the welcome, Meister! It continues to be a nice environment and I'm continually grateful for the kindness being extended to me

Take care!
-travis

Back