• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ninja 1000sx 2020 Lowing options.

Hi everyone. About to become a very happy guy due to take possession of a new 2020 ninja 1000sx. Had a great test ride and eagerly awaiting my delivery.

The only complaint I have is that I'm a short @rs£ and need to lower this bad boy.
I'm initially looking at carving the horrendously uncomfortable seat into something much lower and hopefully more suited to my backside (ok 2 complaints) i suspect that I will get around 1 to maybe close to 2" as the stock seat is very padded but honestly I would like to shave another inch off if or where I can. Perhaps even salvage some padding if I can lose an inch or so elsewhere.
"Lustracing" appear to dominate my Google searches but I quite like the T-Rex lowing linkages but in not sure if they are any good or if they have a 2020 version.
Anyway, anyone had experiences, good or bad, and how much did you manage to lower the ride height?

T-rex does make good products. I have had no problems with their stuff. I would start with with their linkage and drop the triple tree (raise the forks). The chassis from 2019 may be the same to 2020. I think the model year change was just to the electronics of the bike.

Since you are in the UK, I would call Hagon Shocks and see if they will either sell you a shock with a shorter spring, or cut down your existing spring. That may be another solution to use instead of or addition to, the linkage.

Edit: Shave the seat as a last resort. This is a bike to do miles on.

T-rex does make good products. I have had no problems with their stuff. I would start with with their linkage and drop the triple tree (raise the forks). The chassis from 2019 may be the same to 2020. I think the model year change was just to the electronics of the bike.

Since you are in the UK, I would call Hagon Shocks and see if they will either sell you a shock with a shorter spring, or cut down your existing spring. That may be another solution to use instead of or addition to, the linkage.

Edit: Shave the seat as a last resort. This is a bike to do miles on.
Thank you, good to hear that Trex are reputable. I am waiting on a reply from them over the 2020 model in case there is any difference but if not then I will be placing my order asap. I like the options they offer compared to the fixed 30mm ones I can easily order over here.
got to admit, I don't understand the terminology of the dropping the triple tree? Could you educate me?

The seat would normally be the last resort or under duress but wow is that an uncomfortable seat.... the ride of this bike is amazing but for a seat, they brag about, it is possibly the most uncomfortable one I've sat on in many a year. I will need to get it reshaped no matter what.

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-prepping/how-to-lower-a-motorcycle/

1. Raise Fork Tubes in the Triple Clamps

In the front of your bike, there are two metal pieces called triple clamps (upper and lower) that clamp the fork tubes in place. The triple clamps pivot on the steering stem, allowing the bars to turn.

Notice that on most bikes, as they come from the factory, the fork tubes stick out through the top slightly. Loosening the pinch bolts on both upper and lower triple clamps allows you to slide the fork tubes up (or the triple clamps down, it’s all relative), which effectively lowers the front-end of your motorcycle.

Lower-motorcycle-forks-561x371.jpg
On certain bikes, the handlebars may limit how much you can slide the fork tubes up through the triple clamps.
Make sure you move both fork tubes up by the exact same amount and use a ruler to be precise. There is no exact measurement you are shooting for, but it’s best to be conservative (one inch is a lot) to avoid a major change in handling. When you are done adjusting, re-tighten the pinch bolts using the factory torque specs for your specific bike.

Drawbacks: Lowering the front end in relation to the rear changes how the bike handles. Manufacturers set fork height for neutral handling. By lowering the front end, you are manipulating the bike’s rake and trail settings. Without getting too technical, this will make your bike quicker turning at the expense of reducing high-speed stability. If you stay conservative, you may not notice any handling differences. Go overboard and it can start to upset the balance of the bike, or worse, the front tire can hit the fender over big bumps (or with a low fender the fender hits the lower triple clamp), which can cause you to crash. To check your front wheel clearance, you can use tie-down straps to compress the front

Thank you very much... Sorry for the late reply but the input is really appreciated.