• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

NMBDR Late May/Early June

Reaction score
Looking to do NMBDR from South to North in the time frame listed. Plan on camping, hotel only if needed due to weather. Easy pace, not in a rush. I’m 53, nothing is in a hurry. I’ll be riding a KTM 1090 for this ride. Small bike is too uncomfortable for the whole duration. Anyone planning a trip I can tag along or if others are interested in putting a group together. Naturally this is all pending NM Covid 19 restrictions.

Hey Hou2bos, I'm interested in the New Mexico ride. My brother is in Cortez, Colorado and I've been thinking about riding up to see him. I can't commit 100% yet, but I'm recently retired and have been wanting to do something like this. Keep me in mind and if the Covid thing allows, we can do some more serious ride planning.

Have you checked this out?

Hey I might be interested. I'm planning on riding the CDT and was planning on leaving toward mid Aug. but could do this ride and then just keep going north. Are you going to ride from Houston or trailer your bike?

I see that you ride an Africa Twin and Hou2Bos is riding a KTM 1090. I may be out of my league. I viewed the videos of the NMBDR ride. It looks great, but I've got a choice between riding my NC700X or the CRF250L and I'm not sure either is appropriate. If I do this, I think I would definitely trailer the CRF250L, because the NC700X is more of a 10% dirt bike. In any case, I've got a Kendon 3 bike trailer.

I may ride out there depending on the weather. I live in Port Aransas, it will be a bit of a haul. I figure 1 hard day there and 2 days back home. If your trailering to Dell City and you have room I could meet you in San Antonio.

Hey I could add a 3rd bike on your trailer to there and could drive to Richmond or meet you some place in Houston or Sugarland. I would continual on the CDT from there and ride back.

I've been doing the research, watching the videos and considering. The CRF250L doesn't have luggage, and still the has the stock tank, less than 2 gallons, so I'd have to modify it pretty heavily to do the NMBDR in six days. I'm not sure I'm physically up to it either. I rode motocross in my youth, and had the Honda offroad in Big Bend and other Texas locales, but I don't think that's prepared me for what I see in the vids. I'd only slow you down so unfortunately I'm out. I do wish you the best and can't wait to hear how it goes.

Hey I wouldn't be in a hurry for this ride. I want to take my time and enjoy ever mile of it. I figure that this would be a once in a life time trip for me to do the CDT so I want to take ever mile in and enjoy. If you change your mind let me know. Thanks

I think that loop from Ruidoso would be a good option. When we did it the day 1 wasn’t very enjoyable. A lot of baby powder dust bowls and washboard roads and rocks. The rest of the trip was good.

I dont think I would attempt it on the NC700 I’d take the CRF250L over it. There are some fairly rocky section just north of Ruidoso and Chloride canyon with some decent ledges. Your going to average 35-40 most of the trip but the stock tank on the 250L would have to be replaced for and IMS tank. It maybe hard to pack for camping on the 250l depends on how slim you pack. My son did it with a Giant Loop bag on his 500x. I used that same bag on my 250L I did some of his gear on my bike. It could be done we packed cots and canopies and sleeping bags plus food and water. We stayed in hotels every few days mostly to meet up with wives who were driving the truck to Colorado to pick us up.

I am going to the NM BDR with the group mentioned above with Richard Gibbens for 6 days. I will be trailering my bike there. I ride a Super Tenere and will be leaving from Houston.

Back