• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

No Country for Old Studebakers

Reaction score
First Name
David
Snow was predicted for Oklahoma again. Predictably, the timing is right for Okie’s, Roger, Bois and myself to head south again to ride Ojinaga, Mexico. On this trip our S. Texas friends Alejos, Ronnie, Matt, plus Colorado Bob and snowbird Oklahoman Rodzilla Rodden are meeting us there.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010066.jpg

We took Roger Padactor’s work truck on this trip. To make room for our bikes he hacked out several layers of mud, tools and miscellaneous weird stuff. Then we hastily added some sideboards to hold our gear on the flat bed. The Grapes of Wrath image fit our style and the obvious reduction in wind resistance was a fuel saving bonus.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010275.jpg

In the foreground is our base, Presidio’s Tre Palms Inn, to the right is US border patrol housing, in the background is Ojinaga, Mexico.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010276.jpg

Directly behind the motel are some hills and bowls that are good to play on while everyone is gearing up. Some of them are very challenging.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010329.jpg

Fun stuff.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010332.jpg

Looks like a beautiful Thursday shaping up as we head to the border crossing. No threat of snow in sight.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010158.jpg

A few miles out we take a break at this Metro coffee wagon.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010162.jpg

Padactor considering the moto hauler possibilities.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010163.jpg

5 Latte’s to go.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010387.jpg

Dry lakes like this give old guys like us the opportunity to stretch our throttle cables and our imaginations. Without a root, rock or bump in sight you can run through the gears WFO and be young again. Click sixth, arc left, feet on the pegs and you’re Kenny Roberts at the Springfield mile. Arc right and you’re passing Malcolm Smith at the Elsinore Grand Prix. Keep it pinned, head on the tank and you’re setting a new speed record at Bonneville.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010167.jpg

Padactor indulges in illusions of moto grandeur.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010166.jpg

Bois spins a wheel, on purpose. Crazy.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010170.jpg

Colorado Bob checks the flow on his rarely used main jet.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010173.jpg

Taking a playtime break we check out Bois’s new Motoz Tractionator Desert. So far, so good. www.Motoz.com.au

tn_OjinagaFeb2010178.jpg

We continue south to an area known as the Waterfall creek.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010193.jpg

Further South and East we find a small Oasis with a few buildings and a windmill.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010187.jpg

By an old schoolhouse we see where they played old school basketball.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010095.jpg

School days long gone for students that attended here.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010201.jpg

Rodzilla at a weird formation landmark that we haven’t named yet.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010199.jpg

Colorado Bob answers the, can it be climbed, question.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010206.jpg

In a remote area we check out the wagon that we found a few years ago. What took us a few enjoyable hours to get here probably took some grueling days in the old wagon.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010208.jpg

Padactor notices that Studebaker Corp. is cast into the wheel hubs. I have found that this company opened in 1852 in South Bend, Indiana and eventually would become the world’s largest wagon manufacturer. They also were the only manufacturer to successfully switch from horse drawn to gasoline powered vehicles.

tn_CopyofOjinagaFeb2010224.jpg

We continue down this creek that narrows to some rock slots.

tn_CopyofOjinagaFeb2010115.jpg

Everyone has there own method of getting through stuff like this. Bob demonstrates his trials style at the top and then stays on the brakes till the wheels begin to skid then releases them and lets it run out to the end. Sweet.

tn_CopyofOjinagaFeb2010230.jpg

Padactor demonstrates the tried and true bulldog method. This is much preferred over his, pitch the bike and pick it up at the bottom method.

tn_CopyofOjinagaFeb2010237.jpg

In an area with some neapolitan hills it’s a challenge to see who can be the first to the top. Bob makes an attempt but stalls out half way.

tn_CopyofOjinagaFeb2010238.jpg

The cunning Padactor slips up the backside to claim this one.

tn_CopyofOjinagaFeb2010244.jpg

After checking out the valley view we continue north.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010248.jpg

Rodzilla leads us through an old dozer cut. This was his third week of enjoying riding here with the different groups that have come and gone.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010250.jpg

At this point in the loop we know we are near some villages that have cold drinks.

tn_CopyofOjinagaFeb2010252.jpg

The closest one, known as the Pop Shop, has closed down so we continue on.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010264.jpg

This prosperous area has a new store since last year.

tn_CopyofOjinagaFeb2010261.jpg

Nice area to relax before turning toward Ojinaga/Presidio.

tn_CopyofOjinagaFeb2010262.jpg

Diligent guard dog keeps a watchful eye on your stuff. Beef jerky gratuity settles the deal.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010274.jpg

We get back to the motel and find the South Texans have arrived and as usual have the grill going.

tn_Ojinaga100225.jpg

Thursday’s track from Bob’s Delorme GPS. 89 miles

tn_OjinagaFeb2010287.jpg

Friday morning we take in some more dry lake fun with the S. Texans before turning south to intersect the Ridge ride.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010443.jpg

Young Matt having a great time on his first day.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010039.jpg

We take a break half way up the ridge to check out the petrified log.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010300.jpg

After getting up on top of the ridge, we ride it as far as possible then drop back into the next valley.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010301.jpg

Desert mirage or emergency shipment to replace recent depletions by thirsty dirt riders.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010132.jpg

We decide to explore a new route to a landmark known as the quarry. Good choice because we found some fun, craggy hills and more ruins by a dry river.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010316.jpg

Finally made it to the quarry but it was getting late so we decided to head to town. A good rain up river has gotten the water level up but this crossing is still passable.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010323.jpg

Back in town we stop for a meal before calling it a day.

tn_Ojinaga100226.jpg

Friday’s track. 67 miles

tn_OjinagaFeb2010337.jpg

Saturday morning we lose Rodzilla as he heads back to Beggs, OK. The rest of our group leave Ojinaga on the west side and ride what we have been calling the Little Ridge. Some sections are like riding a gravely dragon back and it’s easy to slide off if you don’t stay close to the middle.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010336.jpg

If you do slide off just point it down and try not to fall on a cactus like Krash Kramer did last year.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010349.jpg

tn_OjinagaFeb2010350.jpg

Ronnie dispensing some obviously intriguing bs. I think they are buying it.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010356.jpg

We took some blacktop up to the Canon Peguis overlook.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010351.jpg

You meet all kinds of people in Mexico. These puppeteers from Chihuahua were very interested in our moto adventures.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010354.jpg

Canon Peguis view to the NE.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010358.jpg

Canon Peguis view to the S.

tn_Ojinaga100227.jpg

Saturday’s track. 103 miles

tn_OjinagaFeb2010371.jpg

Sunday. The S. Texans pack up and head home on a beautiful morning. We cross the border and make it around the backside of El Diablo mountain at a relaxed pace and came across this desert well.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010372.jpg

Handle length determines well diameter states an undisclosed expert.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010383.jpg

Up and down these gravely outcroppings are a fun way to cross this valley.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010392.jpg

There could be a sad or funny story behind every pair of brown spotted shorts that have been cut off and hung on a bush in the desert, but there can be none more humorous than the one behind these. Till the day I die I will laugh through teary eyes every time I think of it. Thank you, Roger Padactor.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010148.jpg

Southern part of the Ridge ride. From here we look around for places we need to check out and find several off in the distance.

tn_OjinagaFeb2010402.jpg

We knew brand loyalty meant something to people in this area when we found this Studebaker while poking around this unexplored valley.
Shortly after this a wind storm came through and forced us to end our last ride of this trip. Back in Ojinaga we dodged trash cans instead of tumbleweeds as we made our way through town for dinner.
This was one of our best trips to Ojinaga so far. No one got hurt. Only 2 flats that slime didn’t fix. It’s an area that has a wide variety of fun riding opportunities and after 10 trips there is still more to see and explore.

tn_Ojinaga100228.jpg

Sunday’s track. 76 miles

So, if I were to try to tag along on one of these trips, would I have to buy a KTM? :-P

I noticed that all those KTM's parked together made the ceiling of that porch glow orange :lol2:

Those pics sure make me want to get down there to do some riding!!

So, if I were to try to tag along on one of these trips, would I have to buy a KTM? :-P

I noticed that all those KTM's parked together made the ceiling of that porch glow orange :lol2:

Those pics sure make me want to get down there to do some riding!!

KTM's definitely not required. Highly recommended but not required. Big tank, 6 gears and button start are really nice.
A lot of bikes available now have similar capabilities so any would be fine.

When I was in the area back in December, I had my passport with me and had planned on crossing over there at Presidio and do a quick run down to that canyon but we ran out of time. Maybe next time, and maybe soon....

Don

We stayed the the three palms motel before a mexico trip and it almost had to be cut short when I wiped out in those dirt hills next to it!

Wow what fun that would be, Looks like some of those KTMs were running stock tanks, I would assume gas was not an issue in the land that time forgot,,,

Wow what fun that would be, Looks like some of those KTMs were running stock tanks, I would assume gas was not an issue in the land that time forgot,,,

Usually fuel is not a big concern because you can almost always find drum gas in the villages. The small tank guys will carry a container of fuel in their packs and dump it in as soon as it will fit. No one likes to tanker fuel for someone that doesn't carry a container so when it comes time for a big tank guy to share it can result in very entertaining and expensive negotiation. Sometimes little tank guys are abandoned high and dry for a period of time to consider their circumstances before a deal is sealed. Cruel but effective.

Back