• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

North Carolina for nearly free.

Somebody found your micro SD card in a parking lot, AND was able to identify and return it? That's not lucky - that's a freakin' miracle.
The Kawi 500 triple - isn't that the same as what was called the Mach III back in the day? In its time, it was supposedly the fastest 500cc bike on the planet.

tshelfer, here's how lucky I am: Anything I say below in item 1 does not include any falling while intentionally riding on ice covered roads and parking lots.

1 I've been street riding for 53 years and, other than first gear and stopped, fell down once (see above statement). 1970 at over 50 MPH and only sore muscles as injuries. I did tip over my street bike once doing a U turn on a freshly graded gravel road. Only my feet hit the ground and zero damage to the bike.

2 I've never made bike to car contact.

3 No street injuries and nobody riding on my bike has been injured. Well, my wife dropped her brush in 1980 in a 7-11 parking lot and slightly burned her arm when she reached under the bike to pick it up.

4 In 34 years of roadracing I broke a finger and got a little road rash. I've been class champion multiple times and came in second WERA lightweight endurance in 1985.

5 Right now I'm as sick as I have ever been. I have a cold.

6 I have 39 nieces and nephews and 37 of them like me. I've always had children in my life to keep me thinking young. Even my nieces and nephews are having babies now. I have quite a few grand, grand nieces and nephews.

7 I've owned more than 50 motorcycles and put more than 50,000 miles on several of them. Right now I have: Grom, XR100, Mille, FZ1, RZ350 not running, Superhawk, DRZ400

8 I've been going on wonderful dual sport rides for many years and neither me or anyone on the rides has ever gotten a flat.

9 I've owned at least 1 motorcycle since 1964 except for 2 short periods, 1968 joined the Marines, 1975 sold bike to pay tuition.

10 I've done close to 200 track days and only paid for Jason Pridgemore's and Keith Code's, one each.

11 On all my rides, some for more than a month, my bike has never quit except for running out of gas and two times in 53 years is not bad.

12 About five years ago, I fell at 110 MPH in an oil slick. No injuries, not even road rash. The same oil slick that Mark Andrews fell in and broke his femur. Straight after Big Bend at Cresson, CCW right after the dip.

14 Been married to the same woman for 42 years after dating her for 8 years.

15 My wife and I save nearly as much per year as the average family income in the US. We owe nothing.

16 I have a core group of 6 riding friends and I have NEVER asked them if they wanted to go on a motorcycle vacation and not gotten an affirmative answer from at least one of them. Last year I went on a week vacation to Colorado with two of them on a one day notice.

17 Have pictures of my trip to North Carolina because David Atkins found my SD card in a parking lot and for the first time I had taken the first picture with a phone number on it.

Not really a miracle...

The first pic on the card was the one of the van with the shop phone number on it. The person that found the card saw that number and called it. When he was telling me about this a few weeks ago, we decided that it might be a good idea for every trip. Just put out a piece of paper with your contact info on it, take a pic of it before taking any other pictures, and then put that pic on all your SD cards. No guarantee, but it can't hurt ;-)

From now on, I'm doing it on every card that goes in my camera.

That's a great idea for memory cards.

Really nice pics, and great report. That is some beautiful country! We vacationed in Virginia and West Virginia some time back (wow, must be at least 15 years ago!), and it was one of our favorite vacations.

You need to retire and give me your job... ;-)

Great luck on the SD card. My haunting memory of lost pics is a trip I took to Key West via Jacksonville and Canaveral. Took many pictures and the SD card would hold near 1000 pics before it got in a bind. Just for the heck of it, my last night in Florida, I downloaded all the pics out of my camera into my computer and erased the SD card. I proceeded West on I 10 in the morning , running about 75 to 85 mph on my Bandit with the computer packed high in the tail trunk. Seems I hadn't secured and locked the box and it sprung open on a bump at speed somewhere's in the last 180 miles and the computer was GONE.

Great luck on the SD card. My haunting memory of lost pics is a trip I took to Key West via Jacksonville and Canaveral. Took many pictures and the SD card would hold near 1000 pics before it got in a bind. Just for the heck of it, my last night in Florida, I downloaded all the pics out of my camera into my computer and erased the SD card. I proceeded West on I 10 in the morning , running about 75 to 85 mph on my Bandit with the computer packed high in the tail trunk. Seems I hadn't secured and locked the box and it sprung open on a bump at speed somewhere's in the last 180 miles and the computer was GONE.

OUCH

I'm not sure what "b" is, but I'm sure glad you posted and brought this back up to the top. I really enjoyed it.

TX T, I realized that after 4 pages of threads the last thread is lost when a new one is posted. At my age, I need to go back to my trip threads and refresh my memory. I brought all my favorites back to the top.

Blast of an area to ride. we rode in twice (from Houston) and once I did a fly and ride and stayed with friend and rode one of his bikes. The roads and scenery are primo. No chip seal there.

Back