• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Norton-thoughts on this photo composition

grsa

Reaction score
DSCN8923.JPG

I would agree with aspr on that. A shallower depth of field focused on the logo might have made it pop a little more. It would have also started to blur the fork leg and brake caliper making them of a distraction but still very much adding to the context of the story of this image.

I do really like the framing and perspective of the shot though. It is very well composed.

agree^^.
I think I would maybe change the angle just slightly more direct, which would move the foot controls away from the Norton logo some, and move the Norton logo to a thirds focal point, then shallow depth of field the rest. I'd also think it'd make a killer B&W with maybe just a slight bump up on the contrast.

I'll go a different route...

Yes - I think the footpegs are the first thing one sees but that gets the eyes moving towards the NORTON side cover at the widest point and makes you slow down to look at the logo as it narrows. ie: you spend more time on NORTON. From there, my eye wanders with much more context about the image.

But that's just me.

I got sidetracked looking at the bike - a Norton with inverted forks and hydraulic clutch? Went searching and discovered you can purchase a brand new Norton Commando in the UK and have it delivered to your front door here in the USA. The associated costs make it way too expensive except for the folks that want to say, "look what I got!"

Great picture. I think the angles, depth of field, etc are all just right. Thanks for posting.

Later, Bud...

My eyes used the foot controls as leading lines to the NORTON engravement. I don't know, maybe rotate to the right a bit to get more NORTON as the main subject matter. Only several different shots from different angles will tell.
Oh yes, I did ride a '69 Norton Commando 750 Fastback for about 3 yrs before breaking the main frame and going to a '72 Honda 750 K2.

Agreed. The subject of the photo isn't the Norton logo, but rather the foot peg which –– being out of focus –– causes dissonance. Also, the perspective by which we are viewing the Norton logo is such that it is de-emphasized in importance as a matter of composition.

Looks really nice. When I focus my eye on the reflection in the back of the front fender, I almost get a 3-D ish affect. Thanks for sharing!

Back