• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The search is on again - WTB good work truck

I will tell you this market is horrible for used trucks or I'm a cheapskate or both.

DFW is a hard market for sure.

The new truck market is insane. There is someone here selling a used 2wd F150 for $40k. New MSRP was$45k. Now it's a nice truck and all, but dang $40k for a 2wd 6 cylinder? Financing it would be close to $600 a month.

My point is, these ludicrous new prices are driving up the used market. Funny thing is, they won't give you crap at trade in. People financing vehicles for 7 years at the cost of a house payment.

Have you looked at auto auctions? Dallas have several of them. I used to buy motorcycles at the Corpus Christi impound auction.

Here's a F350 with a 6.7 (salvage title) auction Monday. May not be the truck for you, but there may be something at the auction if you have the cash.

Part of the problem is I am out of touch and a cheap skate. In 2010, we bought a 3 year old car and had hoped to spend $5k but ended up at $10k, in 2014 we went to buy a 3 year old SUV and had hoped to spend $10k and ended up spending $20k. For a nice care I just about refuse to spend more then that so we will keep the family car going.

I found a f150 at an estate sale that we are going to look at tomorrow morning. Unfortunately they could not get me any information so I'll go take a look.
I end up getting nervous on trucks I have limited time to look at so that's why I have stayed away from auctions but I may start looking at those.

Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
The new truck market is insane. There is someone here selling a used 2wd F150 for $40k. New MSRP was$45k. Now it's a nice truck and all, but dang $40k for a 2wd 6 cylinder? Financing it would be close to $600 a month.

My point is, these ludicrous new prices are driving up the used market. Funny thing is, they won't give you crap at trade in. People financing vehicles for 7 years at the cost of a house payment.

Have you looked at auto auctions? Dallas have several of them. I used to buy motorcycles at the Corpus Christi impound auction.

Here's a F350 with a 6.7 (salvage title) auction Monday. May not be the truck for you, but there may be something at the auction if you have the cash.

This is my problem also a few years ago. I wanted a truck but couldn’t justify the 30k plus for a 3/4 ton. I ended with a 2000 3/4 ton dodge diesel. Standard trans but loaded out. It had 165,000 miles but needed some work. I’ve probably put $3000 in it over three years but all of it was wear items. I’ve put thirty thousand miles on it so far. I have less than $6000 in it with all the repairs. Just keep looking and don’t get in a rush. This was the day I brought it home.

Attachments

• 5F3AF25F-730F-4C1E-928F-C5FF242922BC.jpeg
    5F3AF25F-730F-4C1E-928F-C5FF242922BC.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 195
Yep, I have the itch for a new Truck, but the current Dodge Ram has 380,000 miles and still drives great, my car has 280,000 miles on it been thinking of consolidating to one newer vehicle but sticker shock keeps me rolling in paid for vehicles

Yep, I have the itch for a new Truck, but the current Dodge Ram has 380,000 miles and still drives great, my car has 280,000 miles on it been thinking of consolidating to one newer vehicle but sticker shock keeps me rolling in paid for vehicles
Sticker shock keeps my riding my KLR'ER most of the time. Lol

The estate sale truck was a wash. Great condition interior and exterior but it was an 03 F150 with 170k and the 5.4L. wish they would have given me info ahead of time to avoid the 40 min drive. Definitely had to walk away on that.

I'm taking my time. I got cash and no need right now so it's a good place to be.

The estate sale truck was a wash. Great condition interior and exterior but it was an 03 F150 with 170k and the 5.4L. wish they would have given me info ahead of time to avoid the 40 min drive. Definitely had to walk away on that.

I'm taking my time. I got cash and no need right now so it's a good place to be.
How much were they wanting?

How much were they wanting?
$4500.
I could have maybe done $3000 but the guy set me off cause I was trying to tell me it was at 116k untill we started it and I check the odometer. Just did not want to mess with his attitude.

116,000 and 170,000 are 2 very different things.
That is the problem with estate sales sometimes, you seem to get some jerks running them.
Yep, we have been estate sale shopping for a lot of years now and have decided after today that I don't really care for this particular one. A lot of the prices are way high and they just have some bad attitudes.

@Sluggo I keep hearing that the 5.4L 2v is a better engine and did not have those issues. I believe it was used in the f250 and the van bodies. Have you heard anything about that?

This is tempting

@Sluggo I keep hearing that the 5.4L 2v is a better engine and did not have those issues. I believe it was used in the f250 and the van bodies. Have you heard anything about that?

This is tempting

There’s a 99 E-250 5.4 sitting in our shop that finally started making a clatter at 530,000 miles. It’s never been into and I think the timing chain is the problem. Only used a quart every three thousand miles. Just normal maintenance is all he’s done to it.

The 5.4 2v was used in e-series till about 2016-17.
Up till about 2003 they had some issues with the spark plugs shooting out if not torqued correctly due to low thread count on the head. (original had 4 threads ad was like 13-15 Ft lbs, revised is 24 ft lbs dry pretty much fixed the issue). In about mid '03 they changed the heads a little and then had more like 8 threads in the head.
Otherwise it is a pretty solid engine, decent low torque, OK HP, but is a very thirsty motor. In my '02 Supercrew F150 2wd with the 5.4 I am lucky to get 13 mpg in regular around town driving, maybe 15 on the highway. Towing drops in a good 30% pretty easily.

5.4 2v was the motor that plugs removed themselves from (with some awesome . 5.4 3v was the motor that spark plugs would snap in the head. Ford "fixed" the problem and caused another. I can speak to the longevity of the 5.4 beyond hearsay. I do know someone with the V10 and 250k+ miles on it without issue. I know a lot of 7.3's with high mileage. I think it's a guess when you buy a used truck with 170k miles on it. I'd feel more comfortable with a either the v10 or diesel at those miles.

I follow this guy a good bit and here's a video on the 5.4 Triton. He's a little goofy, but seems pretty straight up.

Here's one on his opinions of 1/2 ton truck to buy or not buy. I keep waiting for him to come out with one for HD models.

Still on the hunt. Found this and tempted to take a look. It's the 5.4L 3v and runs rough but it's been sitting on a ranch so I'm thinking it may just be a fuel issue. At 106k, it seems like it could be fine.
May have to do a ride and drive tomorrow to the Cleburne area.

I know the timing phasers can cause a rough idle which is what I'm scared of but the guy says it's intermittent so not sure if that would be the case. I tend to agree that bad/old gas sounds most likely.
At 106k I doubt the timing chain system would be an issue.

Last edited:
I know the timing phasers can cause a rough idle which is what I'm scared of but the guy says it's intermittent so not sure if that would be the case. I tend to agree that bad/old gas sounds most likely.
On the 3v 5.4, it could very well be.

Cranky ape this week has a 2011 Silverado V6 and a 2011 F150 4wd so far bid is at about 3500 on each. The bidding ends Wednesday at about noon. Videos show engine running and description describes pretty good. Best thing is to drive to Georgetown and check what you want go bid on. Most are repos.
I wouldn't shy from chevy v6 trucks. I had a 2002 and it was great and pulled boats well. It probably didn't get as goog fuel milage as a 5.3 v8 though. Think about 18mpg.

I am leery of shined up and armoraled cabs and engine compartments on old trucks.

Cranky ape this week has a 2011 Silverado V6 and a 2011 F150 4wd so far bid is at about 3500 on each. The bidding ends Wednesday at about noon. Videos show engine running and description describes pretty good. Best thing is to drive to Georgetown and check what you want go bid on. Most are repos.
I wouldn't shy from chevy v6 trucks. I had a 2002 and it was great and pulled boats well. It probably didn't get as goog fuel milage as a 5.3 v8 though. Think about 18mpg.
The Chevy went for like 5500.

Starting NOW, ask everyone you know, work with, relatives, neighbors, etc if they know someone wanting to sell a truck. Try to get something from someone you have contact with. Many folks get tired of an old vehicle that still has a lot of life in it. Lots of 10-15 yr old trucks out there with less than 100K.

Back