• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Not having fun taking out secondaries

Reaction score
:giveup:

Got everything loose but there are a ton of hoses tangled up in there. I'd leave them on but the airbox is in the way, otherwise it would be easy. Can't I just open them myself and disconnect the wire that opens them?

You need to pull the airbox back and keep it back, I used a couple of bungee cords. Leave the accelerator cables alone, there is enough slack in their cables to pull the throttle bodies out without messing with those cables. I also used some large soft-jaw clamps to get the bodies to sit back in their boots fully when putting it back together.

img_1313.jpg

img_1312.jpg

img_1313.jpg

There's a couple of good threads around on how to do this, it's actually pretty simple once you get your head around it, good luck.

Last edited:
Ok I'll give it a try but that airbox seems lodged in there like crazy.

Funny thing when I see 1250's being worked on... these bike get the crap used out of them. Can't wait to get mine all sorted out.

Got 'em, thank you for the pics. Only had to drill one than flushed with contact cleaner.

Last edited:
Well done, it's really satisfying when you get it done and all put back together.

There was a thing about getting a proper JIS screwdriver to get those little buggers out, but I used a small $2 Phillips and a butane pencil torch. I think the trick is to "break" the locktite that hold the screws, the torch does this easily - got all 8 of mine out without any hassles at all.

One of our other forum members fooled around with the secondary actuator and sensor, took them off the bodies and joined them together so the correct feedback was setup for the ECU. He then took out the butterflies, followed by the shafts as well, then plugged up all the holes where the shafts used to. Not sure if he got any real benefit, but technically there was less impedance to cause air turbulence. BTW its this ECU feedback loop that stops you from just trying to wire shut the butterflies.

gus_se10.jpg

I still don't see how easily they come out though, I did 2,3, and 4 from the right but did't feel like tugging anymore so I did #1 by sliding them out just enough on the left side.

Might also be a good idea to blip your throttle while you're doing it to make sure you aren't binding the cables.

You can also just drill holes in the secondaries, they don't need to be big and that acomplishes the same thing, far less hassle.

Since you're already into the hardway, maybe help for others.

I had already removed the PAIRS and didn't have the other enviro junk on the top of my motor, that could be why your throttle bodies seem to be snagging and not giving you as much slack as I got.

Speaking of the pair system, I pulled the stuff on top of the valve cover and hose to the airbox. My removal kit is on the way but is there more to take off? I guess the canister is for CA models?

That's pretty much it if you don't have the CA model. If you are getting the MM kit there is a load resistor that takes place of the PAIR solenoid so the ECU doesn't have a hissy fit. The resistor is screwed to an aluminium plate (to help cool it), and has leads that go off and plugs into the bike loom. I found that if you cut of the lower right corner of the plate you can get it to sit snugly on the radiator cap mounting bolt. There are probably other spot to mount it without having to do this slight mod but it looks good here, is in a bit of free space and its out of the way.

img_1314.jpg

BTW you can see the left hand PAIR block off plate, pardon the overzealous use of gasket goo.

Last edited:
Removing the EFI was a piece of Cake compared to removing and replacing the Carbs on my 2003 FZ1. I drilled most of my screws. I'm never putting it back to stock.

I can't seem to get my Supertune pro's 1st and 8th green lights to stop. They flash for a few second when I turn the key on and then stop. No lights so I'm afraid to start the engine.

The instructions say this means something's not hooked up right, then at the bottom it says they do this on install during deceleration?

Dale said it's fine. Runs like a 1250 now!!!

Aside from the cost and work involved (not cheap and quite a few hours in the garage) I don't understand why anyone wouldn't do the stage 2 mods. You just aren't doing the machine justice in stock trim.

Thanks everyone!

Dale said it's fine. Runs like a 1250 now!!!

Aside from the cost and work involved (not cheap and quite a few hours in the garage) I don't understand why anyone wouldn't do the stage 2 mods. You just aren't doing the machine justice in stock trim.

Thanks everyone!
Totally agree, but to each their own I guess.

Ok so, PAIR removal. Got the instructions but I'm not too good without illustrations. Mounted the resistor as I've seen in picture but all I have now are two wires and a bunch a parts from the kit without any idea what to do next.

There's a bunch of photo's on MM's page the last shot is essentially what you remove. It's a lot easier if your's doesn't have all the extra CA emission stuff. Make sure you mount the 2 plates with the indentations facing down. The wires splice into the connector lead that you took off the air solenoid, doesn't mater which way round.

http://shop.metrickmetal.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=60

I've got everything off and the plates installed, it's the wiring I'm having trouble with. Mine wasn't a CA model so no canister I believe

Last edited:
There should have been a connector that you unplugged from a black cylinder looking thing that had some air pipes going to it that was part of the plumbing you removed.

It's this lead you need to splice the two black wires into, I've cable tied the connector out of the way just above #1 injector:

img_1315.jpg

1250 Bandits are CA emissions legal which means they have the gear installed. If yours doesn't then someone removed it.

Suzuki only imported a single type into the USA, look at the stickers, they state it meets CA emissions standards as well as the Fed regs.

1250 Bandits are CA emissions legal which means they have the gear installed. If yours doesn't then someone removed it.

Suzuki only imported a single type into the USA, look at the stickers, they state it meets CA emissions standards as well as the Fed regs.
That is interesting. I've owned 2 07' 1250s and havn't been able to locate the charcoal canister on either. Both were bone stock engine wise when I bought them.

Back