• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Not One to Leave Well Enough Alone...

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I started finishing up the DR-Z400S. I am currently putting the Trail Tech Vapor on the bike. So far so good. I also put a coil in cap off of an old Gixxer. So here are a couple of pictures. I am getting pretty good at this.

Out with the old

IMG_08981.jpg

IMG_09101.jpg

IMG_09091.jpg

In with the new

IMG_09021.jpg

IMG_09041.jpg

Today I need to wire up the light panel and button her up. I changed rear brake pads because the other day, in the dirt, I discovered we had no rear brake. So there is that. Anyway, she is coming along. Still thinking of putting a stock E tank back on her. The bike is tall and top heavy, which when combined with a short, fat Monkey such as myself, is not necessarily a good combination.

Just don't fill the tank all the way up. Likely you can carry more gas down low with the bigger tank than the stock tank up higher. One day you might do something with the bike that requires you going long distances without gas and it'll come in handy.

Just don't fill the tank all the way up. Likely you can carry more gas down low with the bigger tank than the stock tank up higher. One day you might do something with the bike that requires you going long distances without gas and it'll come in handy.

+1
additionally if the tank design creates gas sloshing when not filled up you can insert special foam to eliminate that.

Get to some remote places and I bet you can go through a stock tank of gas pretty quickly and not have a place to fill up. Especially if you hit the pavement and the speed goes up, it goes away pretty quickly. I darn near ran my SM out of gas in Arkansas.

Nice! :thumb:

I swapped the stock forks on my DR650 to a set from a DRZ400. Only way to go was the trail tech. Had to wire a new switch and to keep the N, TS and HB indicators, I attached them to the headlight shroud. Kinda sucked that I had to go back to the stock tank due to the fork uppers hit the IMS long before hitting the stops. I Cary a spare 2L of gas though.

Rider view.

94099A2D-2F48-4F03-92DD-092B9EEBC179_zpsnz1zsmbd.jpg

I am about to add the vapor dashboard which will solve the light problem. Should be good when I get back to it. Sort of lazy in the cold today.

Nice! :thumb:

I swapped the stock forks on my DR650 to a set from a DRZ400. Only way to go was the trail tech. Had to wire a new switch and to keep the N, TS and HB indicators, I attached them to the headlight shroud. Kinda sucked that I had to go back to the stock tank due to the fork uppers hit the IMS long before hitting the stops. I Cary a spare 2L of gas though.

Rider view.

94099A2D-2F48-4F03-92DD-092B9EEBC179_zpsnz1zsmbd.jpg

Every aftermarket tank I've ever owned had to go under the heat gun for some adjustment. You might give it a try.

You are right, SB.

Thanks for calling me out.

HAHAHA

I started finishing up the DR-Z400S.

I saw this thread title and thought it was going to be about the Jeep, which, I might point out, was running fine when I left.

:rofl:
:duck:

Well played, good form, sir. I finished the install on the DR-Z400S and will button it up and test her shortly. I need to torque the front wheel yet again as I had to pull it off to remove the speedo gear/cable and install the new spacer/cover. Very slick all went well. Again, I have eliminated the relay connections with the exception of the flasher, I kept it for that since it mounts up so nicely. Did no harm to the harness on the bike, so there is that.

You are right, SB.

Thanks for calling me out.

HAHAHA

LOL
no, not calling out was just curious as my experience is Safari tanks are much higher quality than Acerbis, IMS, Clarke, etc. Much higher price tag also.

When are you going to post pics of the finished install? I need to see this done....I can't sleep thinking about your poor bike dismantled in the shop... :)

Here we go. I installed everything, works well sorry I was slow to follow up.

This is the power lead. The ground is visible and if you look carefully on the left you can see where I ran it to the batter side of the start relay.

IMG_09251.jpg

Temperature sensor replaced the vent bolt on the left radiator.

IMG_09211.jpg

Replaced the stock coil with a Gixxer coil in cap. Required a couple of new ground lugs and I had to make up a connector plug. Works great

IMG_09201.jpg

Made a bracket for the speedo sensor, I tried to grind down the front of the sensor to allow me to install it on the caliper mount. I was worried about damaging the sensor so I built a new bracket and located her in a new spot. All good.

IMG_09221.jpg

End result, when you look at it the display is cleaner than in the picture.

IMG_09261.jpg

Here is one with the left signal, the high beam and neutral lights lit.

IMG_0929.jpg

Nice. My sensor is wonky and I've been fiddling with the mounting of it. I have a fancy bending brake now so have been thinking about making something like what you did there. Thanks for confirming it works well. My only concern would be it getting hit with something and ripped off.

Believe it or not, it is tucked in nicely and that mount is pretty solid. I could measure it for you if you like? But it might be expensive. LOL. I got about 15 min in it and a 5 in piece of aluminum.

How big of a bending break? I need to get me some. Just saying. I did mine with a vise and my little fat hands, then I chopped the excess and Bob's your uncle.

Last edited:
Looks really good Doug. Nice and tidy and a lot more information.

Good stuff.

Back