• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Now Drew's Funky Hippie Wagon Project 87 CAMRY

This 87 wagon was #3 of 4 Camry wagons Ive owned of this body style. Also had a sedan too. I dont have any pics of the 1st wagon...a 91 LE V6 which was exactly like the 91 blue LE V6 sedan that I bought from a guy in DFW area
Wagon #2 was a 90 4cyl base model I think. Bought off of ebay. I rode the 04 Strom 650 up to St Louis to pick it up. Took hitch & light kit from #1 wagon & a few tools with me.
Went to the car lot first...to finalise deal...installed hitch/light kit...drove the wagon 50 miles other side of St Louis to pick up a trailer I had previously bought to haul bike back home. Drove back to car lot ...loaded bike & drove home.
I sold the trailer...got my $ out of it no prob. I also sold that dk blue wagon due to water leaks to interior (windshield channel rust). It ended up abandoned in the Denver impound by the lady I sold it to. Title never transferred!
The 4th copper 4cyl LE wagon I got from a guy in Belton. He had gotten it from his parents & used to commute to TSTC.
Definately the highest mileage of the 5 Camrys at 235K+ ..but still goin fine when I sold it.

All of these Camrys were as dependable as a 24 hr day. Never left me stranded ... Not once.
Only reason this 87 still has problems...is due to the long time sitting while I was tryin to find a good mechanic to work on it.....& my lack of expendable funds.
Oh my that copper one looked amazing.

Go get it Drew!

I can say with some authority that you will appreciate things more driving an old car like this! I bought an 88 Volvo 240 and I'm kinda getting that old feeling back of when I was a teenager. It's very mechanical. Very deliberate. So different from the disconnected software appliances everybody drives today.
I like cars with points even better with no extras roll up windows, etc. 60s models are my favorite. My best car was a 1996 Avalon my son totaled. I am a big Toyota fan and hope to be able to get it up and running again.

Boy i love that brown 89 wagon. not sure why i like wagons so much. My brother had a 77 corona wagon that was a blast to drive.

In 91...the Corolla increased in size. So much so...that it became almost the same size as these style Camrys which were orig designed in the early 80s. 97"wb compared to the Camrys 102"wb. Only a Camry sedan & hatchback was offered until the 87 redesign when Toyota switched to a sedan & wagon offering instead. Some Parts are shared with the Celica. (Engine for sure) solid as a rock.

In the 80's I once traversed from Parker, Tx to up-state New Jersey in a similar wagon but it was an older Volvo. These kids nowadays dont know what they're missin! That Yota is worth its weight in copper with the current state of microchip shortages!

Sorta-but-not-really related story.

I was in Kroger getting my lunch today and something told me to cruise through the Hot Wheels section. They had 2 different versions of the Volvo T5R wagon, and the Volvo Amazon Wagon.

I bought them all, and an extra T5R for my daughter who drives an 03 V70 which she adores.

Volvo started using Fuel Injection in 1972 on the higher trim models (Bosch D-Jetronic). By the late 70's they were all Fuel Injected.

By the time the 240 came around all the US cars were injected. There were other markets that had an option of Carbs or FI. The FI was worth almost 30 horsepower over the carbs on the same engine.

Next chapter.....

Attachments

• 20210808_133136.jpg
    20210808_133136.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210808_133035_HDR.jpg
    20210808_133035_HDR.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 154
Who do you think could solve the scene of the soil discrepancy and why? Colombo or Poirot ? Drew, enjoy the classic ✌️

Back