• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Now we know how you carry, but can you shoot?

Hmm

Reaction score
Let's see some of that trigger work from everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a graduate of SWAT Sniper School and have several event wins in various three gun, carbine and pistol matches. I have shot Distinguished Expert in 3 position smallbore. I have no idea how I would do in a benchrest style match but I am pretty handy with various firearms in real world and competition shooting.

Duty weapons usually must use factory ammo (so a policy can exist) my duty sniper rifle was made by one of the top precision rifle makers in the country. All top shelf stuff. However, it was cut for 168 BTHP FGMM. A very accurate factory load, but handloads will outperform it.

Sorry to slather this post with a bunch of pics of the same thing. I'm still learning how to use the forum and need to be careful clicking on stuff just to see what happens.

My group was shot with a stock rifle and off the shelf ammo. Funny thing was that I used the BDC on a Buckmaster 3-9 scope and just framed the target with the little circle. Looking through the spotting scope, I thought that I had missed the whole target with the 3rd shot. Then I pulled my target and found the 3 volcanoes on the back. I'm just a country boy that likes to shoot with no real training but man I was on that day.

You have, sir, what they call grit ... true grit.

Reactions: Hmm
But can you draw. handle, and shoot your pistol/revolver accurately when under the intense stress that comes during a life ending encounter? I understand that's the reason for certain types of gun matches. But the best reality checks (events) would be carrying concealed and have a surprise attack. What's the best way to train for that situation? What matches would you recommend?

Last Spring I was carrying a pistol with snake shot. Surprised by a rattlesnake a few feet from my feet next to the house. I ran, got a brick and killed it. Didn't realize I had a pistol with snake shot on my hip till later. I'm guessing everyday draw and dry fire practice would be best for me so I wouldn't shoot myself in the leg or foot. But, an official match would heighten the stress.

Sorry to slather this post with a bunch of pics of the same thing. I'm still learning how to use the forum and need to be careful clicking on stuff just to see what happens.

Fixed.

I have to admit, it has never really occurred to me to take pictures of targets when I have gone to the range. I just shoot, see where I am hitting, try to do better if needed, and leave, usually tossing the targets in the trash on the way out. I've not done any real long distance rifle shooting, just 100-200 yds with an AR15. Those shots were usually all within a 2" dia circle once the rifle is sighted. The overall circle might change position a bit from one time to another, but once I start, they usually all go in the same spot.

With pistols, it really makes a difference for me which gun I am shooting. I do best with my PX4 Storm full size 9mm. With my sig .380, I always pull slightly high and right, so I aim slightly low and left. But I am usually pretty consistent with both.

My problem is I don't really have a good place to shoot. Our local range is okay, but it is VERY restricted in how you can shoot and at what distances. For rifles, it is pretty much bench shooting at 100 yds only. For pistols, it is 10-20 ft only. So I tend not to go as often as I probably should.

I've never done any kind of competition shooting.

My problem is I don't really have a good place to shoot. Our local range is okay, but it is VERY restricted in how you can shoot and at what distances. For rifles, it is pretty much bench shooting at 100 yds only. For pistols, it is 10-20 ft only. So I tend not to go as often as I probably should.

Every public range I’ve ever been to is that way. No rapid fire, no drawing from a holster, no double taps...no fun of any kind. They put so many restrictions on what you can do that it removes all appeal and usefulness for me, so I don’t go to them. Of course, I also don’t have access to any land where I can shoot so my shooting is pretty infrequent.

This was my recent low light 50 round qualification. Each drill has time restrictions, ranging from 25 to 5 yards. From holster, strong hand only, support hand only, reloads, etc.

I always find myself shooting better on a timer or on the move. My pistol groups tend to be tight up until 25 yards, then I struggle to keep 10 rounds in 10 seconds in a B8.

Attachments

• 20190111_194554.jpg
    20190111_194554.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 139
I have found most outdoor ranges are more restrictive on how fast you are allowed to shoot whereas indoor ranges are less so. I figure it is because projectiles are entrapped in the building no matter how errant they may get due to rapid fire. Seems counterintuitive, but from an external liability perspective, it makes sense. a few of the indoor ranges here even allow full auto compared to some outdoor ranges that restrict shooters to one round per second maximum. I have even seen some range rules that only allow one round in the magazine. How crazy is that.

Fixed.

I have to admit, it has never really occurred to me to take pictures of targets when I have gone to the range. I just shoot, see where I am hitting, try to do better if needed, and leave, usually tossing the targets in the trash on the way out. I've not done any real long distance rifle shooting, just 100-200 yds with an AR15. Those shots were usually all within a 2" dia circle once the rifle is sighted. The overall circle might change position a bit from one time to another, but once I start, they usually all go in the same spot.

With pistols, it really makes a difference for me which gun I am shooting. I do best with my PX4 Storm full size 9mm. With my sig .380, I always pull slightly high and right, so I aim slightly low and left. But I am usually pretty consistent with both.

I've never done any kind of competition shooting.

Give Blackwood Gun Club a try. You can shoot up to 200 yds and you don't feel like a german in the Nazis with Hitler screaming at you. This is on 2854 west of Pie in the Sky. My home range.

Also, please tell me how I can quote only part of another post rather than re-posting with "quote button" and setting the part in bold.

Last edited:
Also, please tell me how I can quote only part of another post rather than re-posting with "quote button" and setting the part in bold.

The easy way is to highlight the text you want to reply to. When you do that, a "Quote/Reply" button pops up on the end of the text you highlighted. Hit "reply" and it will copy that text down to the editing box at the end of the thread.

For more info:

Reactions: Hmm
Very nice.

I had a bone stock(except optics) Savage 10 FP that could do that. I sometimes failed to do my part, but she was ready when I was.

I am a fan.
Thank you. That was 10+ years ago when I was still living in Texas. It was very much all gun, and then luck on my part. I sincerely doubt that I could replicate it today without a LOT of practice. I love Savages for their out of the box accuracy.

This was my recent low light 50 round qualification. Each drill has time restrictions, ranging from 25 to 5 yards. From holster, strong hand only, support hand only, reloads, etc.

I always find myself shooting better on a timer or on the move. My pistol groups tend to be tight up until 25 yards, then I struggle to keep 10 rounds in 10 seconds in a B8.
That's some nice shooting there Jesse, well done.
I used to be pretty consistent when I spent several hours per month on practice but I don't think I could come close to that these days.
What sort of time/rounds do you spend on practice to maintain that accuracy?

That's some nice shooting there Jesse, well done.
I used to be pretty consistent when I spent several hours per month on practice but I don't think I could come close to that these days.
What sort of time/rounds do you spend on practice to maintain that accuracy?

Thank you.

I used to shoot weekly, but then getting married and having kids has put a huge dent in that.

I probably go on my own quarterly. Fortunately being on SWAT we get much more trigger time than patrol, so I'll do real range time nearly monthly. Then force-on-force simunitions on top of that. Also do some dry fire when I can. Kids are getting older so now I'm finding myself at the range and on the bike more often nowadays.

Back