• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Now we know how you carry, but can you shoot?

Jesse I can understand that. I am now finding myself able to get to the range weekly now at last. I’m no longer in LE so no swat games etc for me these days, but I still like to tear up some steel with rifle and pistol and see how tiny I can group haha. I just tossed a Larue mdt2s in my rifle...it’s making grouping much easier.
Dry fire practice is invaluable to accuracy and repeatability on the trigger. I cant count how many thousands of dry clicks I’ve done over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dry fire practice is invaluable to accuracy and repeatability on the trigger. I cant count how many thousands of dry clicks I’ve done over the years.

For pistols, do you dry fire an empty gun or use those dummy practice rounds? I've been told that for some guns, dry firing them empty isn't good for them. I can't recall why though.

For pistols, do you dry fire an empty gun or use those dummy practice rounds? I've been told that for some guns, dry firing them empty isn't good for them. I can't recall why though.

A well maintained modern centerfire does not need snap caps. Older centerfires and rimfires always should be used with snap caps. It’s due to potential degradation of the metal in older arms and in rimfires it’s due to the firing pin hitting the edge of the barrel (hard steel) instead of brass. However I have spent many many hours dry firing an anschutz 1813 without any problems, but they were made for that sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

really good shooting. but do you really need to let the FBI, ATF and all the other alphabet agencies know you even have a defensive implement? or know how to use it?
yeah,yeah here comes another "oil" discussion!

really good shooting. but do you really need to let the FBI, ATF and all the other alphabet agencies know you even have a defensive implement? or know how to use it?
That target photo was from a long time ago. Unfortunately, I lost that Savage and many others in a boating accident on Lake Powell.

If you signed a 4473 they already know you have it.
They could care less if you know how to use it.

The furthest I've shot is 225yds, with my pistol. During competitions we regularly see 100-115yds pistol targets, and rifle targets out to 600yds. The furthest I've taken my .223 3-gun rifle is out to 1000yds on a silhouette target. As long as there is little to no wind, that little .223 will still get out there and reach it.

Last edited:
Heading to range tomorrow. No .308 but just taking the 300BLK pistol and a G17. Need to site the RDS. The G17 is for some transition drills. I might miss but I will skeer them with shock and awe. I shot out to 300yrds with an AR carbine at a school and that was it. I was hitting a gong with a slug at 100 yards with an 1187 at another school and that was fun.

I used to run around with guns in IDPA and USPSA until Obama threatened to take our guns and we jacked up the price of ammo, and I had to taper off as it was getting expensive. I still practice dry fire, draw, etc and occasionally go to the range, but I do want to get back into competing soon.

Back