• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Nueces Canyon Adventure ride 3, "New Bill BBR" January 29 & 30, 2011 ride report

Re: Nueces Canyon Adventure ride 3, "New Bill BBR" January 29 & 30, 2011 ride report

look's like you guy's had a blast.!:flip::pirate::flip: i'm JEALOUS great pic's:photo: and ride report's...:rider:... how many XR'S where there.???

Great mix of bikes on the ride.

There were at least one each of GSs 1150 & 1200, KTM 625 & 690, Husaburg, DRZ400, XR-L, KLR, BMW G650, WR450, CRF450X, DR650, V-Strom, KLX250, etc...

I really like this shot, the Big GS taking on Cedar Creek!

IMG_2487copy.jpg

Re: Nueces Canyon Adventure ride 3, "New Bill BBR" January 29 & 30, 2011 ride report

DAY TWO got off to an early start...

Sometime around 3am I woke to the sound of a raid in progress. Three masked bandits were hard at work prying open the pelican boxes. These guys obviously worked together as a team. Smooth coordinated moves...this was a crew of hardened pros for sure.

Fearful to leave the security of my warm sleeping bag, I hit em with the only weapon at hand...a high powered LED hoping to startle them away. They seemed to appreciate the help of some light, looked over my way, snorted and ignored me as they kept right on with their work. My wife has done this to me for years so I took it better than might be expected.

All that's left of last nights embers. Still nippy this morning and I'm out of wood. Have to get up and move.

ashes.jpg

Some early rays and mist in the valley.

sunrise.jpg

Get that coffee brewed and some breakfast on the way...such as it is.

pops.jpg

Not a bad view for sipping some hot coffee and watching how these hills shine.

sunrise2.jpg

algarita.jpg

Nuff nature watching. It's time to kick this pig, find the group and get on some dirt.

decamp.jpg

Backpacker's moto; Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but prints and make it just a little better than when you came.

Not far over to pickup the trail. Just getting interesting when things started shaking loose. Now, that's more like it! Lonely out here...hope a group comes by soon.

bagloose.jpg

road1.jpg

The Mist.

mist.jpg

Finally got in some time on the pegs.

rocks-1.jpg

Looks ominous...not so much, really.

gate1.jpg

gate2.jpg

These gates seem to happen just below the crest of each hill. The roads are way loose gravel and catching some air or a little slide on that hill can make for soiled undies when a gate suddenly waits just ahead. Some poor rascal found out the hard way.

Down hill with off camber and loose gravel. I couldn't have designed a better bike trap. Poor bugger never had a chance. That would be a desperate skid...right into those thorns.

thorns.jpg

This passes all qualifications of a first rate west Texas thorn bush. Hope that dude was wearing some good gear! Hurts to even imagine.

thorns2.jpg

Time to run for the hills.

rockroad.jpg

hill-1.jpg

canyon.jpg

house-1-1.jpg

stream2.jpg

Armondo just making it in from a hard night in the bars.

dillo.jpg

Rough morning for little Cerdito here. Terminal case of cerebral D606 disease. Any of our crew bag this one?

porky.jpg

Smell the cedar yet?

road3.jpg

stream3.jpg

shade.jpg

stream4.jpg

A mighty fine spot to be straddling a pair of knobbies. If you've seen it, you'll know right where we are.

kent1.jpg

stream6.jpg

kent2.jpg

kent3.jpg

It's been a long day and some awesome miles. Shadows are getting long and it's time to find the trails end.

shadow.jpg

Much thanks to brother Sander for putting this ride together and all the folks who made it work. Great ride! Great times! Life is good! :sun:

Next time...I'll catch up to that dang group... ;)

RG - That was sander & I that slid down to the BUMPGATE! :eek2: We were riding up tempo & it came out of nowhere, I mean it jumped out in front of us :shock: That would have hurt. :pound: That's funny you caught our skid mark's. (the one's on the ground)

DAY TWO got off to an early start...

Great ride! Great times! Life is good! :sun:

Next time...I'll catch up to that dang group... ;)

RG fantastic write up and photos!!!!!:clap:

Where did you camp?

Yes _RG_ , where did you camp?
Also, Great pics, thanks for taking the time to post them up.

Mossy...if I'd have backed up with the camera just a little, you'd see another set of skid marks...mine. That gate is just plain evil! Talk about coming out of no where...dang sure good for focusing one's attention and keeping you honest. :eek2:

Glad to know it turned out better than it looked.

Sander, Yak, that is Kickapoo. Just about five miles north of the Cedar Ck. entrance. Very small.

I had so much fun on Nueces 2 how could I miss Nueces Canyon Adventure ride 3.

1173505519_3K2Ko-M.jpg

A few of my DS riding partners were going to trailer over Friday night or early Saturday morning from Houston. I decided to take off Friday and ride over its only 200 miles and the GX was in need of a nice long ride.
I camped Friday night at the Castroville Regional Park it's more like a city park than a campground but I had to stay somewhere and this beats a hotel.
1173308037_xQxqE-M.jpg

1173308290_TryeJ-M.jpg

Dinner at the DQ
1173309136_StBts-M.jpg

Day 2

I was up early since I went to bed at around eight o'clock the night before. I should have gone to town and picked up a book or something to do but hindsight is 2020. Although I spent a lot of time in the tent it was hard to sleep because of all the streetlights. The other riders would be meetings at Taqueria San Juan for breakfast in Castroville at 9 AM so I did a little scouting before I headed over.

Found this up a dirt road south of town.
Castroville's cross
1173311293_rGiEv-M.jpg

Nice view of Castroville.
1173310999_VUSow-M.jpg

There were 23 bikes parked at the restaurant that,s to many for one group. The five of us eating together decided to ride together.

David volunteered to lead the group and he did a great job.
1173313123_HNwQo-M.jpg

Joe
1173313921_wZ66Q-M.jpg

Larry
1173313515_GZBaU-M.jpg

Bob
1173973775_Zhk9X-M.jpg

and me.

We filled half the restaurant and parking lot.
1173315054_sc23N-M.jpg

1173315444_N3nyL-M.jpg

The route took us to the cross here is the group at the top.
1173316841_qbQG5-M.jpg

On the road.
1173317493_bjab4-M.jpg

A few other riders joined our group.

Calvin, unknown (Sorry) and Mike
1173317798_7ZvVQ-M.jpg

Mike after few miles
1173989685_44wNb-M.jpg

Unknown park his KLR into a tree, he was OK but will have a sore foot for a while last we heard.
1173318123_6Gbaz-M.jpg

There is a little dust in the back of the group.
1173320534_6D4ki-M.jpg

Lot of this but if it's a County road you're allowed to use it.
1173321401_XCwY2-M.jpg

Lunchtime
1173322806_hCcNF-M.jpg

Cool place to stop.
1173323831_fDbJ9-M.jpg

Old willys truck
1173325269_EQCfP-M.jpg

Everyone would be staying at the Fort Clark hotel but I would be at the Fort Clark RV and campground. There's only about 10 sites and is about 1/4 mile from the RV section.

1173325880_Hg9fq-M.jpg

Ready for a fire later.
1173326207_dchzr-M.jpg

We met for dinner at Daddy's Grill across from the hotel and park in Brackettville(Sorry bad photo) Great food!
1173326873_rDGY7-M.jpg

After dinner the group came by to watch caveman TV.
1173327240_s7qm5-M.jpg

1173327735_MHapE-M.jpg

They all left so I hit the tent
1173339374_FZ37U-M.jpg

Day 3

I woke to a crisp cool morning after a wonderful night of sleeping. Packed and loaded up the GX for one more day of riding. I don't know about you guys but every time I get ready to ride I'm excited as a kid at Christmas. Hope I never lose that feeling but after 30 years it's still there.

Packed and ready to go.
1173340331_dgG8R-M.jpg

Our group was going to eat breakfast at Daddy's Grill so on the way I stopped to say hello to some of the other riders eating in town. The name escapes me but here are a few photos on the inside.
1173341348_brYDT-M.jpg

1173341838_Q97f3-M.jpg

We had to wait for Daddy's to open but it was worth the wait. (Again great food)
1173342224_GLHEQ-M.jpg

Leaving town
1173343022_tk9Hk-M.jpg

Off to my right I saw this cloud being blown over the mountain/Hill. I did not know it at the time but we would be riding through that cloud.
1173343794_yFkbt-M.jpg

Doesn't look so bad in the photo but we had to slow down because of the fog.
1173344879_sfVdy-M.jpg

30 minutes later the sun burned through and it was a beautiful day.
1173346786_ivcdH-M.jpg

What do you think a few nails and a coat of paint to make her new again?
1173347831_V3wWa-M.jpg

Here is one of the many water crossings.
1173348977_4dGUe-M.jpg

David lost his balance and dropped his bike of course I had to get a picture. LOL
1173351043_5VQdp-M.jpg

What a group effort
1173351893_msksk-M.jpg

This is a bump gate their not really designed for motorcycles. I think we had to go through about 15 of them. But our fearless leader David held most of them open for us.
1173354101_YuGC7-M.jpg

Nice road
1173329288_vqrU3-M.jpg

Stopped here for an afternoon break.
1173331206_APSvN-M.jpg

1173331697_RQ5Nt-M.jpg

Tried an underwater shot.
1173333123_AcdLF-M.jpg

One more water crossing.
1173336001_kHsUs-M.jpg

Even the last road was dusty
1173336870_qXBxN-M.jpg

When we finished our last section of dirt we stopped and said our goodbyes. David would be heading towards Austin from here. Joe, Larry and Bob would take pavement back to Castroville where their trucks were waiting. Mike and I rode the bikes home.

Somewhere headed east on I 10 as the sun set behind me.
1173338022_GzjAB-M.jpg

Thanks so much to Sander for putting together a great event I had a great time. Also big thanks to David who led us around for the whole weekend. Sorry I could not meet and talk to everyone but there's always next time.

All Pics

Trailace, Those are some great pictures! Thanks for posting.

Trailace - Nice picture's :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Multisurfacerider - Glad to hear joe s. is doing better with his ankle. :rider:

Good report Rick. :clap:

Rick was kind enough to invite us to his camp. Perfect night for a fire, story telling and a few beers.
1176000801_AHJdY-L.jpg

Road side.
1172783806_PTXD5-L.jpg

David and I (me photo'd) spent some time in the Fort Clark museum as a englishman gave us the low-down. Really cool history there!
1172782936_gnwEH-L.jpg

Passing through another oak grove.
1172745523_ND8Qs-L.jpg

Weestrom rejects rider.
1172737666_rPtrA-L.jpg

David does a great roll and on feet in no time. Weestrom must deal with fast pace again.....
1172738649_dc5xg-L.jpg

Looking forward to riding with y'all again. Man, it was fun!

Mike

Trailace, Those are some great pictures! Thanks for posting.

RG sorry we could not camp together maybe next time.

webnel - Your photo weestrom reject's rider.....I remember that turn, almost had sikk fiddy el reject's rider! :flip:

Nueces Canyon Gang - Look's like Punksa..........Puxa..........Puna.....That hairy little vermin creature was right, more bad weather. Now they say it's going to snow..... 3-inche's..........Don't forget your bootie's boy's & girl's cause it's COLD out there! :giveup:

webnel - Your photo weestrom reject's rider.....I remember that turn, almost had sikk fiddy el reject's rider! :flip:

I recall that corner as well. Many of us got the chance to practice our :eek2: stop.

Weestrom rejects rider.
1172737666_rPtrA-L.jpg

....Mike

I had skidded to a stop and was standing there for about 5 to 10 seconds as Bob raced up to try and help me save it from a ~40 degree tilt. Where I came to a stop at the edge of the road, the ground was about 6" lower than the length of my right leg. Bob had actully pulled up next to me and held out his hand to help me but I could not let go of the bars. Bob then decided to get off his bike to help me bring it from a ~40 degree tilt back to vertical (in the picture), but I just ran out of strength to hold the tilt with all that weight high in the back. I just gave up and let it drop and took a dive off to the right.
Good times.

Nuece's Canyon Gang - Here's some picture's :photo: I took on the ride...Enjoy! :popcorn:
Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 001.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 002.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 003.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 004.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 005.jpg

More pic's
Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 006.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 007.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 008.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 009.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 010.jpg

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!.....AS SEEN ON T.V.Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 011.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 012.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 013.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 014.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 015.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Gang - :popcorn:

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 016.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 017.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 018.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 019.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 023.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Gang - Sorry I did'nt get these picture's to come out IMAX size with DOLBY surround sound but it's my first time trying to post-up pic's :photo:Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 024.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 025.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 026.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 027.jpg

Nuece's Canyon Adventure Ride III New Bill Back on a Bike 028.jpg

Back