• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

NW New Mexico-Late August

Auto

Reaction score
Any preferred areas/rides? Must see do? I will be in Clayton/Tucumari for a speed goat hunt and am towing the bike up and will have about 2-3 days of time, familiar with Taos/SF area. Any recommendations are much appreciated.

64 S out of Taos to the Vietnam Veteran Memorial just past Angel Fire. Continue on to Eagle Nest if you want some really nice scenery. Then 38 N from Eagle Nest up and over to the west to Questa, then 522 down south back to Taos.

434 from Angel Fire to Mora is supposed to be a nice ride but it was under construction the last two years that I went through that area. 518 from Mora up to Taos is a good ride up into the mountains - good roads, good scenery.

64 from Eagle Nest to Cimarron is a nice ride with the more curvy part being between Eagle Nest and Ute Park.

I'm not aware of anything special in and around Santa Fe.

Thanks guys... looking for North and West of Taos towards Chama area. Just looking for things I have not seen before.

I agree with Texas T on 434,518 and NM38 the later being the enchanted circle. There are some beautiful scenic pull overs on 38 for pictures and a river that is along side of you also. Also if you have some spare time and about a hundred bucks do the train ride out of Chama,NM. Take the bus to Antonito,Colorado and ride the train back to Chama. Link below. KP

Last edited:
Isn't August the rainy season up there?

The entire Sante Fe de Cristo momountains are amazing, Mora, Toas/AF, Red river. Jump one valley west to Ojo Caliente, soak in the springs, then ride the last section of the NMBDR through the Tusas.

The suggestions above are all good. US 64 west of Taos from Tres Piedros to Chama is scenic.

I second this. 64 is really nice. Do the north loop of NM38 then 64 afterwards. If you have a extra half day ride the train out of Chama is well worth it. KP

Any preferred areas/rides? Must see do? I will be in Clayton/Tucumari for a speed goat hunt and am towing the bike up and will have about 2-3 days of time, familiar with Taos/SF area. Any recommendations are much appreciated.
Are you wanting to ride dual sport stuff or highway? I can put you on some great unpaved roads in the Enchanted Circle area.

~Tony

Here are three routes... Just delete the sections past where you want to go..... Cerrososo road to Amalia, NM is an epic road! Amalia is where they found the Muslim training camp last year! That road is on the Raton to SouthFork file. I have a bunch more that I have ridden through this area and Southern Colorado. Hit me up if you want them as well. The Taos to Raton route goes through the Philmont Boy Scout camp at Cimarron. It was a touch sketchy in spots and some of the guys with me thought we were following a game trail!

~Tony

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Chama to Taos Version 3.gpx
    183.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Raton to SouthFork Final Vesion .gpx
    376.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Taos to Raton.gpx
    344.9 KB · Views: 175
Back