• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!
  • The Vendor forum is for users that wish to offer their services or products to the TWT Community. Creation of a new thread is limited to users that are members of the TWT Vendor usergroup. Contact Tourmeister to join this usergroup. Vendors may create ONE thread to promote their business. They will still be able to edit and reply to their thread, and reply to anyone else's, but they are limited to one thread. Regular users can reply to any existing thread. Vendors should strive to keep all of their business related posting in this thread.

OBR ADV Gear ADV and Dual Sport Luggage

Reaction score
Screenshot 2022-04-11 131305.jpg

Great products, high quality and good value. I've been using your 3/4 Enduro Mitts for many years now when the temps dip. Easy on, easy off and they have held up great. I bought a tool roll also a year or so back and happy with that also.

Attachments

• 20171208_070240.jpg
    20171208_070240.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 125
Hello ... the last post is what you would see while visiting our site. Here's my less formal hello and a who's behind OBR ....

My name is Mike and I've been operating OBR since 2014. I started riding back in the 90's with a mix of Desert, Moto, and Tree's ... somewhere through that progression I found a super clean Honda XR 400.... like mint! Located here in ID we are able to plate our off-road bikes as long as they meet basic DOT requirements, with with a now plated XR400 I discovered the awesomeness of being able to ride to and from the trail head ... cool!

While riding around enjoying this new found freedom, it finally hit me ... why not camp from the bike. While definitely not a new concept, but non the same very new to me. So my brother in law and myself packed up the bikes and hit the trail. Good times!

I've worked in the outdoor industry for approx 30 yrs and have a background in manufacturing and product development. Putting these skills to use I decided to go ahead and design myself a set of "Rackless" saddlebags that would fit my (now riding) DRZ 400. Saddlebags then evolved into Tank Bags, Tank Bags into Fender Bags, Fender Bags into Grip Mitts , etc, etc. Now I was clearly in the rabbit hole!

Being encouraged by family and friends I was convinced to commercialize the products I had designed thus far. Beginning with myself producing all products (and some I still do) sold, to working some batches with a local sewing contractor, to now having volume high enough we have a full time contractor in Colorado.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is that being on the bike is my primary passion. I've just designed some products that work well for me and my intended use. I've tried to find a balance between value and function knowing that every feature added to a product adds cost. I'd rather have less "flair" if I can work in a more durable material. With that we've been working hard over the last few years to find US based production help that is consistent with our values and level of quality.

So please check out our website... if there is something that you feel might have value to you or might add to your riding experience ... we'd love to help you out. I have since moved from my trusty DRZ (I had that bike for 13 yrs) to a KTM 1090, so we'll be adding some more ADV specific products to our line in the future.

Ride safe!

Thx
Mike
OBR ADV Gear

www.obradvgear.com

Great products, high quality and good value. I've been using your 3/4 Enduro Mitts for many years now when the temps dip. Easy on, easy off and they have held up great. I bought a tool roll also a year or so back and happy with that also.

Awesome ... Thx for the support! .... hearing back from customers is equally satisfying!

I remember your S10 ... I sold mine in 17' and have missed it ever since.

Last edited:
I'm using the Enduro Mitts as well. They are big enough to block the wind and rain, and small enough to not affect mobility sitting or standing.

They work great for me.

I'm using the Enduro Mitts as well. They are big enough to block the wind and rain, and small enough to not affect mobility sitting or standing.

They work great for me.

Awesome ... Thx for the feedback. My goal was to create a mitt that could cross over from ADV to Enduro ... that's a tall order and I hope that I found a happy medium between the two.

Crash Bar Bags are fully stocked ... I wanted a little extra storage on my 1090 and thought the lower crash bar was a good candidate. So our Crash Bar Bag emerged. It attaches to the bars via dual top and bottom one wrap loops with optional attachments on the ends. Each bag measures 6"x10"x3" and will span across a bar gap of 10".

5-16-4-jpg.jpg

Extend your storage options with OBR ADV Gear Crash Bar Storage Bags. The Crash Bar Storage Bag attaches to your motorcycles lower crash bars using a series of one wrap Velcro tabs. Each bag is constructed from extremely durable Ballistic Nylon material and heavy duty #10 zippers. Great for storing tire repair tools, chain lube and/or fuel stabilizer, spare tube, rain gear, etc. Helps to keep weight low and out of the way of the rider.

Features
  • High strength, abrasion and water resistant ballistic nylon construction
  • Heavy duty #10 coil zippers with storm flap
  • Secure attachment to your bikes crash bars using strong one wrap Velcro
  • Spacious 6x10x3 compartment
  • Outside reflective web for increased visibility
  • Fits bar spreads up to 10”
  • Sold as a pair

Say hello to the Big Sky! ... when I started OBR my primary ride was a DRZ 400, so our early product offerings were naturally centric around the light dual sport platforms. As time went on we realized that we needed to expand our reach also into the ADV markets. Some of our items already crossed over, but we were lacking in the big tank bag department. I bought a Yamaha Super Tenere, which gave me a good platform to start fiddling around.

The market already had a selection of good ADV tank bags, but hey ... we needed our own. I had a few criteria points that had to be met ... durability with good materials (I really like the ballistic nylons), universal fitment (we don't have the bandwidth to develop and maintain inventory of model specific designs), and minimal interference with the rider (at least the best you can do with a tank bag).

After pondering dimensions with a soft tape I modeled up a basic design and we were off to the races with a pattern. The Big Sky has a spacious main compartment with an adjustable or removable divider panel, a rear facing zippered mesh pocket, a top lid pocket along with another exterior top lid pocket with a clear top panel, elastic cordage for quick storage during ride breaks etc, side molle style loops, and an included rain cover for those unexpected rain showers. Now I do have to answer the question regarding "waterproofness" ... .the materials used are coated on the inside with a polyurethane kiss coat making the fabrics themselves waterproof, however the bags are sewn so I don't feel it right to claim they are actually waterproof, but water resistant ... with that I have found that any water ingest is going to be primarily through the zippers. All of our bags are made with a storm flap over the zipper, or in the case of the big sky the weather flap is along the inside. To provide additional protection we also include with the Big Sky a full rain cover that can be easily slipped over the bag. We feel if you need more protection than this ? ... well, your bike insn't a submarine!

The interface with the motorcycle as previously mentioned needed to be universal, so we opted for a base panel or mounting harness. This harness secures solidly to the bike via a forward strap that runs under the steer tube and two adjustable rear anchor straps. Once the base panel is secure the bag attaches to the panel via a strip of hook and loop and four side SRB buckles. This makes it easy to remove just the bag and take it with you when in camp, at a hotel, or running errands. For refueling I have found it very easy to release tension on the forward strap, unclip, and roll the bag backwards over the seat. Once refueling is complete roll the bag forward, reclip the buckles and retention the forward strap.... Bingo! ... ready to ride!

So yeah ... say hello to the Big Sky. Let us know if you have any questions. Were always checking our email .... store@obradvgear.com

... or click here to link to our store

big sky 4.jpg

big sky 2.jpg

Keep essential items easily accessible with the OBR ADV Gear Big Sky Tank Bag. The Big Sky Tank Bag utilizes a unique detachable base panel that securely attaches to any Adventure or Dual Sport motorcycle using two sub frame adjustable buckle straps at the rear of the bag and one adjustable steer neck buckle strap at the front of the bag. Our quick release base panel allows you to easily remove the tank bag during ride breaks or at the end of the day when moto-camping without losing your strap settings, plus the rear of the bag has a built in carry handle that makes it even easier to take with you!

A padded spacious main compartment is perfect for organizing items you wish to keep close at hand such as cameras, first aid, and rain gear. A full coverage rain cover is included with each soft bag to protect your contents when one of those mid ride rain storms sneaks up on you. There are two smaller lid pockets that sit above the main pocket for storage of smaller items. The upper pocket has a clear top that is perfect for cell phones, maps, or trip documentation.

Designed with larger ADV or Adventure touring bikes in mind, but will also fit Enduro and Mid-Size Dual Sport motorcycles.

Features​

• High strength, abrasion and water resistant Ballistic Nylon construction
  • Heavy duty #10 coil zippers won’t jam up in the dust
  • Secure attachment through bikes frame/sub frame utilizing supplied adjustable Side Release Buckle (SRB) straps
  • Spacious 7" x 12" x 6" main compartment with adjustable internal divider
  • Two pockets in the lid, one is clear for visibility of contents
  • Integrated carry handle at the rear of the tank bag
  • Reflective side webbing with Molle loops for accessory attachment and high visibility
  • Internal D-ring for clipping keys or other items you really don’t want to lose
  • 4 external D-rings on top lid with 3mm shock cord gives you a place to stash gloves or other small gear during a ride break
  • Slip on rain cover provides additional protection against that inevitable rain shower (included)

I do have to be honest in that I do not check the forums as frequently as I should ... if you have a question on any of our products please email using the contact link from our web site ... or you can email me direct at mike.mccrosky@obradvgear.com. We really do not any question to go unanswered ....

The Big Sky a bit more than what you're after ... we get it ... the Big Sky is more of an ADV application. We recommend checking out the High Basin which is a scale down from the Big Sky. What the High Basin lacks in capacity compared to the Big Sky it makes up for in agility. A great tank bag for Enduro, Light Dual Sport, and even ADV.

High Basin 1.jpg

-uOKDIps6frgzJyueTTOY9QBl6=w640-h480-no?authuser=1.jpg

Hw0rXm-M1o2wr1ekoSAgyxxw_3=w640-h480-no?authuser=1.jpg

5g-H8slGxXlvKOO9DOKAOtzh9=w1018-h929-no?authuser=1.jpg

tju-7QPCCK5Gu2m7TAMbJKJSR=w1239-h929-no?authuser=1.jpg

Here are some features of the High Basin ...

Features​

• High strength and water resistant 1680d ballistic nylon construction
  • Bottom of bag utilizes a vinyl coated non slip panel that helps keep it in place
  • Heavy duty dust resistant #10 coil zipper with storm flap
  • Trapezoid front profile that improves the bag interface with riders legs
  • Secure attachment through bikes frame/sub frame utilizing supplied adjustable ladderlock straps
  • Spacious 7x8x5 main compartment with front mesh slip pocket
  • Includes interchangeable 6x7 zippered stow pocket and 6x10 map pocket that securely snaps onto top panel of lid for easy access or constant view of routes
  • Internal D-ring for clipping keys or other important items to keep secure
  • 4 external D-rings on top lid with 3mm shock cord for misc. storage
  • 1” web grab tabs that can be used to run a cordage handle through
If you have any questions ... please email us at store@obradvgear.com

Thx

Couple more High Basins pics ... why not!

Another on my previous DRZ ...

10604023_284085241797448_5611901076331870357_o.jpg

I do miss that bike ... it was a great platform to get to some places "off the beaten path"

14575278800_996df2a0da_b.jpg

... and to detail the versatility of the High Basin I had it also mounted up on my Super Ten

10604636_298362073703098_9016067434779379280_o.jpg

... and of course we need to also show it mounted on a nice 690

Ethans690.jpg

Tank Bag Rear Anchor Straps .... why are we using the buckles that we do? ... and how do I attach to my bike?

tankbagstrap1.jpg

Well ... first lets talk about the buckles. We use a 3/4" SRB separating buckle. This buckle has proven to have more than enough strength in this application with a breaking point between 75-85 lbs. It easily separates if you choose to remove the tank bag from the bike. If you ever do break the male portion of the buckle we are a quick email away to get you a free replacement. No BS ... we stand behind all of our products!

tankbagstrap3.jpg

The square loop located at the end of the strap is there to allow the strap to make a flat and smooth loop around which ever portion of frame of sub-frame you are lacing the strap through. You will need to unthread the webbing from the Triglide and the male portion of the SRB. Once unthreaded you can loop the strap around the frame and then back through the Triglide and SRB. The Triglide acts as a locking mechanism so that once you have set your tension on the rear straps ... (remember not too tight, just tight enough 😁) By lacing the strap back through the Triglide will ensure that you will retain your strap adjustment when removing the bag from your bike.

tankbagstrap4.jpg
tankbagstrap6.jpg

We know ... this is a bit boring. But we do feel it important to give praise to the rear anchor straps and the fine work that they do. They have to stand up to hours of exposure to engine heat, dust, moisture, UV, and abrasion while keeping your tank bag securely attached to your ride so you can focus on the adventure in front of you.

Ride safe everyone!

OBR ADV Gear

It's again that time of year ... Fall. Cool mornings and warm days. Our OBR ADV Gear Grip Mitt will help you get those early morning starts keeping your hands warm and your digits protected from the wind!

Get a Grip Add.JPG

Coming soon… OBR’s Explorer Saddle Bag System. This is a long awaited option for the ADV segment, or even light Dual Sport running a side framed luggage rack. We have kept with our theme of being “universal” with this system as it is intended to provide a blank rear panel that can be mounted using the mounting hardware available from which ever brand of frame rack you are choosing to use. The Explorer system is comprised of two main parts… one being the Holster, which is the component that mounts to your bike, and second, a Roll Top Dry Bag keeping your gear dry and can be easily removed and placed someplace more convenient around camp. Keep your eyes peeled! Explorer systems will be available Spring 2023!

.... and "Made in the USA"

explorer1-jpg.jpg
explorer2-jpg.jpg
explorer3-jpg.jpg

Whether you're after some additional storage for commuting, riding a BDR, or simply want to maintain the versatility of a trail bike one weekend and a Dual Sport the next .... we have some "Rackless" options for you to consider!

?temp_hash=4916dd95cbf3de91a99f7b334077caed.png

View video here ....

It's again that time of year ... Fall. Cool mornings and warm days. Our OBR ADV Gear Grip Mitt will help you get those early morning starts keeping your hands warm and your digits protected from the wind!

View attachment 330441
I cannot get to your site, I get a server error, are so many going to look that we crashed the site?

I cannot get to your site, I get a server error, are so many going to look that we crashed the site?

Sorry about that ... I'm unsure what the glitch might be. We are able to access the site without issue?

It is a Big Commerce platform ... most likely an issue on their end.

Back