• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Obvious??

I have two wheel sets for my Versys, with two different tooth-count rear sprockets, difference of 3 teeth I think. One chain is just fine for both, given how much wheel adjustment it's got.

Just adding 2 half circumferences and 2 lengths from center plus a link. Ain't no thing right?

Got everything in, went with 52 and 116. Just need time and energy, lol.

Check my math. I think it is 1 extra link for two teeth.

Assuming that the chain leaves the gear at the halfway point, which is close but not exact, you get:

Chain length old = 2*L + (2*pi*r1)/2 + (2*pi*r2)/2

Where L is the distance between sprockets r1 is the radius of the front sprocket and r2 is the radius of the second sprocket. (2*pi*r) is the circumference of the sprocket, but the chain only travels half of the sprocket so (2*pi*r).

So if you add two teeth, to the sprocket the circumference is 2*pi*r+2x. where x is a link length.

My new equation with the new rear sprocket, keeping the sprocket adjuster in place (the length between the sprockets is constant) is then

Chain Length new = 2*L + (2*pi*r1)/2 + (2*pi*r2 + 2x)/2
Which is
Chain Length New = 2*L + (2*pi*r1)/2 + (2*pi*r2) + 2x/2

So Chain length New minus chain length old is 2x/2 = x = the length of 1 link. ??

Or intuitively, you can think of one tooth being added to the right of the sprocket, where the chain is, and one tooth being added to the left of the sprocked where the chain ain't...so the chain only has to get one tooth longer...

???View attachment 244415
Did you get that South Tx, :lol2:

Diderich is right. If you disregard the slight change of angle due to an increase or decrease in sprocket change, a two tooth change in sprocket size would require an increase of 1 link of chain. A two tooth change of sprocket size will increase wheel base by 5/16" for a 520 or 530 chain, 1/4" for a 420 chain and 3/8 for a 630 chain.

Switched out today, 116 worked but did have to pull wheel back. The 114 I had might work but wheel would be pretty far forward. Headed to SHNF and see if I like the 52!

Switched out today, 116 worked but did have to pull wheel back. The 114 I had might work but wheel would be pretty far forward. Headed to SHNF and see if I like the 52!

details and review please. I went to a 13/50 on my fx350 and it’s ok, but could be better

Stock on the 450 was 13/50, last time I went 13/51, tried the 13/52 this time. Jury still out after only 1 ride but might like the 51 better. I was able to run 2nd and 3rd gear in SHNF, worked well actually, only 1 flameout and it was on me. Maybe in my head but seemed like engine braking was magnified, had to be careful on all those whoops to keep throttle on or front seemed to drop in whoops, not good. Bike seemed lighter, maybe because it was a little more lively revving? I mean don't start I know it's not lighter, lol. SHNF isn't tight anywhere or technical, at Cycleland or Brunes I'll find out if I can stay out of 1st which is one of the goals.

Back