• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

October 2008: East Texas Dual Sport Ride

One last stop before heading back to Moscow. Lunch in some little town. At some little cafe.
Food was good, but the highlight was the waitress. She was fun. Even when she thought one of our party was calling her
Monkey Butt. No, I didn't take her picture. I should have.

I was getting the biggest kick out of the people behind you guys.

The man was hiding his face trying not to laugh and the woman had the look of :eek2: when Rebecca was talking about sitting on top of the gas cap. (priceless)

And then discussion of making all the dirt or pavment comments was (I can't believe they said that to the man in front of here)

oh good, my end of the day sand photo by Richard makes me look composed

pretty sure I was chasing imaginary squirrels through the sand

Here are a couple of pics I took during the ride.
100_2851.jpg

100_2853.jpg

100_2855.jpg

Dang man... so close to my home and I get rip roaring sick and have to miss it :doh: I think this needs to be a biannual event, a fall and spring ride ;-)

The sand looks like it was nicely packed this time.

Good to see everyone made it home in one piece :thumb:

I sure wanted to go and was in the area but I still had about 15 trees down from Ike to deal with. Maybe next time. Looks like it was a lot of fun.

Saturdays ride was ok , I took a slight detour to look at some pretty rocks in the ditch , 500 lb bikes are a lot harder to pick up than 250 lb bikes . Sunday I didn't feel like riding fast so Wayne and I waited till after 9:00 to leave , had a nice enjoyable ride , much better roads than Saturdays , some of them almost as good as Arkansas roads . We caught up to a group of riders at Neuville . When we got to FM 711 we decided to alter our route a little and headed a little more west and found some of the best roads of the weekend . We ended up riding around in the area bordered by San Augustine , Center and Nacadoches for a couple hours and found some of the best riding I have found in the east side of this state , I could ride around in that area for a few days without getting bored with it . One thing that sticks in my mind were the number of small churches we found hidden thruout the woods . I think there were more churches than houses . In the western part we rode thru a huge gas production area , I lost count of how many drilling pads we passed , all of them very nicly built also lots of new roads that weren't on the maps . I see a weekend trip there again . 560 miles for the weekend when Wayne picked up a nail in his rear tire 15 miles from home . All fixed now and ready for some more fun . SEYA next time .

I didn't take the helmet camera, and the point-n-shoot was stowed most of the weekend so it wouldn't get inundated with dust - so I only have a few pics to share. :doh:

(maybe I should look into one of those waterproof/dustproof cameras :ponder:

TW200's just LOVE the mud! :lol2:
I guess this is a tradition now - make sure there's a T-dub in attendance and no matter how dry the terrain, make it find the mud. :-P
394056484_k286a-M.jpg

Willie was a good sport, despite not winning the bet.
394056624_29gAG-M.jpg

Morning at the Harborlight
394056361_DLnKr-M.jpg

394056730_7ivKe-M.jpg

394056806_HbQ2v-M.jpg

Thumper - thanks for putting this ride on...had a great time running thru the sand! And I have to say kudos to Harborlight again...they did an outstanding job, even though my futon was a bit wobbly!!

Can't wait till the next one...hope its a mud ride next!!!

Man I'm so glad I went on this trip because I met some really cool people and had a great time. The Harborlite rocked! I unknowingly booked the honeymoon suite and it was decked out, hot tube and all.

I need to manage my gas a little better (the bikes that is...) as I ran out a few times. Luckily one of the other Scott's taught me about the "extra extra reserve" that I never even knew my bike had.......... It kept me from pushing my bike that last half mile back to Moscow! :mrgreen:

I will be there next time for sure. Thanks to all involved!

Man I'm so glad I went on this trip because I met some really cool people and had a great time. The Harborlite rocked! I unknowingly booked the honeymoon suite and it was decked out, hot tube and all.

I need to manage my gas a little better (the bikes that is...) as I ran out a few times. Luckily one of the other Scott's taught me about the "extra extra reserve" that I never even knew my bike had.......... It kept me from pushing my bike that last half mile back to Moscow! :mrgreen:

I will be there next time for sure. Thanks to all involved!

Ok, I figured out you are not the man with Monkey Experience! But, now I need to know who he is.

The question though is are you the Scott of Austin Zoo fame or the other Scott?

Last edited:
Had a great ride and met great people, a big thanks to everyone........ The 08 Green KLR... I'll probably have to ride the route again and find my missing bolt from the luggage rack..

Great report and pics y'all!:clap: I had a blast, saw some old friends, and made some new ones.:rider: There's a couple of things I'd like to add. One, Cater's [the store] really saved the start of this ride by letting us park there.:clap: They also said we are welcome anytime in the future. Next, I think everyone would agree that we gotta figure out a way to get rid of some more pavement. There's a need for some Recon here.:trust: Also, did any other group run the 96 Bypass? I was in a group of 6 on Sunday. We all agreed that 96 Bypass was the best road of the day.:flip:

Maybe Stingray or Deerslayer saved the tracks? How 'bout posting them if ya did?:thumb:

Last edited:
Next, I think everyone would agree that we gotta figure out a way to get rid of some more pavement. There's a need for some Recon here.

Pavement is fine if it's not hwy.
I'm tellin yah... I've got 200 miles on the Saturday ride over here that has no unnecessary pavement.

Not complaining, only suggesting! Our ride Saturday was great!

Maybe Stingray or Deerslayer saved the tracks? How 'bout posting them if ya did?:thumb:

Here are the tracks that I have. I'm using Mapsource version 6.13.7

Attachments

• Day 2 Track.gpx
    457.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Day 1 Track.gpx
    487.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the tracks that I have. I'm using Mapsource version 6.13.7

Scott, if you save them as .gpx files then those that don't have Mapsource can open them in Google Earth. And the Mapsource users can still use them. Just do a File, Save As, then in the pull down under the file name, select GPX.

I'll add them back now, but for future reference, gpx is an exchange format that many programs can read and right.

Back