• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Off road boot selection (tech 7?)

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some boots to wear when riding by DR650 off road. I recently was looking at some AlpineStar Tech7's. They seemed like a reasonable price vs. protection compromise for me. But when I tried them on (size 13), the arch support was too pronounced for me and not very comfortable. So I have two questions;

#1 if you have had Tech 7's for a while, did you notice any difference in the arch support after they were broken in?

#2 Can anyone recommend a boot with similar or better protection that has less of an arch support?

Edit:
Spoiler: I eventually settled on Gaerne Fastback Enduro's. Just got them, but they seem to fit well.

Last edited:
Boots seem to be very personal. I have an AlpineStar foot and have been wearing Tech 7's as long as i can remember. I have tried 3 pairs of SIDI and they just don't fit my foot, my son however loves his Crossfires.

Lots of fans for the Forma boot. Lot of value, seem comfortable and protect well.

I have 2 friends with them and my son has them.

I have the Sidi Crossfires IIRC. Good boot, but pricey.

Love my Tech 7s. Super comfortable, protect well, don't have an arch issue, but, they are about as waterproof as a tube sock.

Also: had a friend who punched a hole in the top of his foot riding in a pair of these.
They are not really 'adventure boots'. They are Motocross boots.

They are not really 'adventure boots'. They are Motocross boots.
and there is a BIG difference here. Unless you are into really nasty stuff on the DR, I think motocross boots are overkill. Well, I'll say that for ME they were overkill. To heavy and stiff so I never really wore 'em...

I have both Alphine Tech 7's and Tucan boots. The Tucan's are more comfortable and are waterproof but offer less protection. The Tech 7's are new and are comfortable to me and my very wide foot. I have high arches but the boot hasn't irritated them.

and there is a BIG difference here. Unless you are into really nasty stuff on the DR, I think motocross boots are overkill. Well, I'll say that for ME they were overkill. To heavy and stiff so I never really wore 'em...
I'm not sure how nasty of stuff I'm going to get into, but I hope to get back into some pretty rough country. They may end up being overkill, but a motocross boot IS what I am after. I'd rather take a chance on wasting some money, than take a chance on getting hurt.

... They may end up being overkill, but a motocross boot IS what I am after...
At this point, I will not wear anything less protective than a Motocross boot. I've had several friends/acquaintances sustain severe ankle injuries with less protection. If I think there is more than a 5% chance of me going down, on go the Motocross boots. Little bike and big bike.

Gaerne sg12. There are folks out there who have worn the same pair every weekend for 15 years. Resoleable too.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I have Tech 5's and they fit better than other motocross boots I've owned. Like any boot they break in a bit but not much changed on the bottom as far as I can tell. They do feel pretty fat when I shift and that's just how it is. Perhaps adjust your shifter height if that's of concern?

I like them but wouldn't use them on my dual sport. I have Forma ADV low boots that are far better suited to dual sport riding. They're comfortable, waterproof, lightweight, but obviously not as protective. Unless I'm riding mx, I go with the formas.

This may be tmi but these days I also look at replacement parts cost and availability. SIDI boots fit me like tennis shoes...light and nimble. Loved them right up until I lost a strap and ratchet thingy at Barnwell. Finding/paying for replacements was ridiculous. Until SIDI has a better support network I'm wearing others. Currently using SG12's. Built like a tank and almost as heavy but if you're looking for protection they get it done. I also still use an old pair of o'Neill boots that were inexpensive 10 years ago but have held up remarkably well. They make me walk like Frankenstein but on the bike they feel just fine. Just fyi...

For Sidi Replacemet Parts you may want to try Motonation ( The main Sidi distributor for the USA) (619) 401-4100

I went to the local bike shop and tried on a half dozen pair today. Everything they had in my size. Here are the results

Tech 7/tech 5 Insole has too pronounced an arch support for my flat feet. Very uncomfortable.
Fox Instinct, I liked them but they were smaller and the shop did not have the next size up
Fox Comp ?? (+1 size) I like the Fox buckles, but the sole felt really hard under my toes, like I was standing on a steel plate.
Fox Maverick, to small in my size, next size up not available.

Still looking...

Unfortunately the place i visited today did not have any Gaerne boots in my size.

I appreciate everyone's opinions, but without information about your feet it is hard to say how your recommendations will fit me.

How about this:

Is there anyone out there who has found the arch supports on alpinestar boots to be too big? If so, what boots fit you.

Thanks,

Go to the link above, find the phone number and call Brian. He is a dealer, but his shop specializes in boots, he will give you the best advice. And if they dont fit, he'll take them back.

I took you advice and gave him a call. Brian was happy to talk. He was knowledgeable and helpful. From what he said, and what I found out looking around, the fastback enduro looks like a pretty good choice. Unfortunately, it seems that it is out of stock everywhere.

Reactions: JT
I also need a pretty flat arch. I just ordered a pair of these, Forma Terra Evo not as protective as Fastbacks, but I needed boots that will be a little easier to walk in. I'll still wear my SG10s when riding more challenging stuff. I have never tried Alpinestars, but the Gaerne and Formas both have a fairly flat arch.

I took you advice and gave him a call. Brian was happy to talk. He was knowledgeable and helpful. From what he said, and what I found out looking around, the fastback enduro looks like a pretty good choice. Unfortunately, it seems that it is out of stock everywhere.
I just ordered a set last night from Bobs Cycle supply....might check it out to see if they have your size.

Nothing in my size at Bob's.
I did find one last pair the Gaerne Fastback Enduro's at Slaven's. They were pretty proud of them$$$, but I ordered them anyway since they were the only pair I could find in my size and by all accounts everyone is going to be out of stock for several months, due to plague related supply chain issues.

From Flipit
"At this point, I will not wear anything less protective than a Motocross boot. I've had several friends/acquaintances sustain severe ankle injuries with less protection. If I think there is more than a 5% chance of me going down, on go the Motocross boots. Little bike and big bike."

Just a thought about what Flipit said here, get the best fitting boots you can. There are all kinds of boot manufacturers out there, someone makes a boot that will fit you, Wear It! Just like a helmet a boot should have enough protection to protect you in what could become your worse riding moment. I broke my ankle when I was 13 riding a Honda 70. (I was wearing hiking boots) That ankle has never been right. Foot pain is something no one can get around. Most of us use our feet at least a couple times a day. Spend sometime on crutches and then a year or two of nagging foot pain and you will be a believer. In the 49 years since that little fall on the 70 I have broken an arm, leg, and clavicle. But all those little bones in my feet are happy. Don't worry about the money spent now, feel good that you won't be limping around in the future.

Just my $.02. I've quit riding dirt due to being old and lazy. But I have a large library of great memories. Many with those on this forum.
Be safe, have fun .

Sam

Well said Sam. I feel the same way after a broken ankle. The daily pain in that foot 29 years later is a reminder of that day and thinking those boots were too expensive. Since that experience and the bills that went with it I have never seen an expensive pair of boots.

I have a number of different brand boots but came to prefer Sidi because of the shallow height of the toe box, which makes shifting easier and the general fit(for me). Sidi also offers some half sizes. However, during the Around the Bend ride the other week at BB, I had to JB Weld the sole of one of my Sidi Adventure boots back on. It literally was three quarters off in the parking lot of Rio Grand Village. I was disappointed when I saw the poor construction of the bottom of the Sidi Adventures. Did some research and soles falling off of Sidi boots is becoming an issue. My Garne Midland adventure boots appear to have a sewn on sole and I'm returning to those. Interestingly, the owners that had soles come off complained to Sidi and the company would do nothing after the one-year warranty expired. Understanding that riding boots can receive hard use, having soles just fall completely off is disappointing. I apologized to a friend for recommending the brand and model and hopefully his soles won't fall off and turn his boots into an expensive pair of flip-flops.

Back