• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Off topic, sort of, about towing dual-sport

Reaction score
So I'm...uh...working on a crime novel, YEAH That's it!....And the protagonist is planning on roundtrip towing his....I don't know, let's say a CRF 250L Rally for now...maybe somewhere far, maybe southwest Texas or something.
He wants to rent an SUV from one of the big rental companies. So what are the odds that the rental company would find out if he'd used the SUV for towing a small U-haul trailer? Not whether it's a good idea or not, because he's just not that smart. Rather, what are his chances of getting caught? What factors should he consider? That's the way he thinks. He's a ramblin gamblin man.

Any (purely hypothetical, entertainment purposes only ) thoughts?

For my former work requirements I rented many vehicles, and I would specifically check to make sure they had a receiver hitch on them. Towed all the time, no issues. The only issue I ever had was having a ball mount in my luggage on the plane. Sometimes it was cheaper to buy a new ne when I got to where I was going.

Why do you need an SUV to tow a dual sport?

20160625_180647_HDR_zps7scdzvhy-L.jpg

There's a pretty good thread around here somewhere about tow vehicles folks have that aren't trucks/SUV's.

For the price of the rental period and the excess fuel you could buy an inexpensive trailer and have a hitch installed.

I guess the question isn’t about SUV’s per se, more about the risk of using a temporary hitch on a rental. This is clearly against the iTunes Store Terms & Conditions, but who reads those.

*I got my bike a month or so ago.
*Three weeks ago, I had Curt 113773 hitch installed on my Mazda 3.
*Last week my Mazda got stolen before I could even test the hitch.

I probably won’t have replaced the car my next trip to Marathon in two weeks. Hence the rental question.

Don’t suppose anyone wants to haul my bike down to the Gage Hotel before the 16th? :)

Just rent a pickup instead of a car or SUV. CFR will load in the back easy enough...
I can't image a rental car or SUV even having a receiver for a hitch.

Yep. Trade your rental in for ine with a receiver hitch. Insurance may even cover it since your previous car had towing capacity.

If it has a receiver hitch, rental company doesn't care if you tow with it.

I personally wouldn't add a temporary hitch to a rental car but if u-haul did it, they are pretty good at doing it without damage. I doubt the rental car company would know or care as long as the car didn't get damaged.

Back