• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Offroad charging stations??

My thoughts are that manufactures are going to have to standardize on battery’s so there can be exchange locations. You can pull in and exchange your battery for a charged on and move on. The problem will be that as batteries get some age and number of cycles they will not retain their charge like they once did and this could leave you short on mileage from your “normal” range.

Electric snowmobiles??
I had some fun on those back in the day, then I rode one souped up for racing on ice. Scared the dogdoo out of me.
I can sortof imagine that kind of electric torque on a modern machine which would emanate more dogdoo..

My thoughts are that manufactures are going to have to standardize on battery’s so there can be exchange locations. You can pull in and exchange your battery for a charged on and move on. The problem will be that as batteries get some age and number of cycles they will not retain their charge like they once did and this could leave you short on mileage from your “normal” range.
At least 4 motorcycle manufacturers have done just that.

Electric snowmobiles??
I'd think that, given the total number of snowmobile miles ridden every year as compared to other internal combustion engines, the effect on air pollution would be little more than a rounding error.

HOWEVER - Their contribution to noise pollution could be quite dramatic. I do like the idea of removing as much noise as possible from back country areas. The same would go for electric off-road bikes. While I'm not a rabid EV advocate (heck, I own 3 ICE vehicles), I could definitely dig a world with significantly less engine noise, both on and off pavement.

Electric snowmobiles??
I had some fun on those back in the day, then I rode one souped up for racing on ice. Scared the dogdoo out of me.
I can sortof imagine that kind of electric torque on a modern machine which would emanate more dogdoo..
One day in May around 2002, I watched some snowmobile hill climbs in Jackson Hole on Snow King's slopes. Lots of carnage and a blast to watch others waste their money on broken vehicles from tubling down the hill. Last snowmobile I rod was as a kid in the 70s, a HD/AMF machine. The modern day ones are definitely incredible feats of engineering and insanely powerful. I can see electric dominating hill climbs since they won't bog and die (just burn up). Cross country nowmobiling, we'd never see all day fun. Riding in snow is like riding in the dunes. Requires a ton more power and sucks down fuel (gas or electric)

I'd think that, given the total number of snowmobile miles ridden every year as compared to other internal combustion engines, the effect on air pollution would be little more than a rounding error.

HOWEVER - Their contribution to noise pollution could be quite dramatic. I do like the idea of removing as much noise as possible from back country areas. The same would go for electric off-road bikes. While I'm not a rabid EV advocate (heck, I own 3 ICE vehicles), I could definitely dig a world with significantly less engine noise, both on and off pavement.
One thing about snow is that it is a great sound dampener. Back country skiing is amazingly quiet as is 4 wheeling in snow. At least on asphalt, you can hear the noise from tires. In the snow, the quietness can be hazardous because you can't hear other vehicles around you and know they are there. Even engine noise gets dampened. Same with sneaking up on wild animals. Startling them could be interpreted as stalking them like prey. They could run or they could attack.

Having ridden places like the Hatfield-McCoy in WVa, you notice critters running from near the trail when they hear you coming because they were given fair warning. Lots of open area dedicated to snowmobiling and quad/SXS riding will need to consider wildlife welfare.

I read up on standardized batteries and the big 4 in Japan have agreed to a standard interchangeable battery for Japanese sales. Honda, Yamaha, KTM and another small European manufacturer have also agreed to develop a standard. I can't imagine it being different than the Japanese standard.

That would be ok for people that ride around in circles all day , I don’t , if I see the same corner twice im bored . One of the things about my Beta that puts it in a class by itself is the gas tank reserve valve . I switch to reserve at half a tank , out and back rides in the wide open are the normal . My extra gas bags are for when I get distracted on my way back .

I'm for less noise too. That's why all my vehicles still have their stock exhaust systems intact.
+1

Internal combustion engines can be almost as quiet as electric. Most cars these days have stock exhaust systems that make very little noise. At hwy speeds, most of the raucousness are actually road (from tires) and wind noise. EV aren't inherently better in that regard.

Motorcycles can have quiet exhaust too. They don't mostly because buyers want noise.

I have a lot to learn. I NEED an electric motorcycle to export to the islands. Anyone here riding a Zero or other brand of ev motorcycle. ( I’ll also be buying an electric bicycle for my new “second” home in Florida.)

Back