• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Oil build up and gas smell coming from CRF 230L

Reaction score
Hey guys,

In need of some assistance and advice. I have moderate mechanical knowledge working on cars all my life, but little experience with this motorcycle. I've had this bike for a little over a year now, it's an 08 CRF 230L and has been great, no issues. Done regular maintenance including changing air filter, setting up trickle charger pig tails, replaced battery, changed oil, etc. but do not know where to start with this issue. Got the oil changed in August. This bike has no damage and has never been laid down before. The last month or so I've noticed a build up of oil residue on my bike engine and a noticeable smell of gasoline. Attached are pictures of oil build up in strange locations.

Would love advice on how or where I should start with addressing these issues.
Any advice is much appreciate.

Thank y'all in advance!

Attachments

• two wheel.jpeg
    two wheel.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 191
  • two wheeled 1.jpeg
    two wheeled 1.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 203
  • two wheeled 2.jpeg
    two wheeled 2.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 187
  • two wheeled 3.jpeg
    two wheeled 3.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 193
Well, I'd start with cleaning off what is there since it is spread around. Then you can try an identify where it is coming from. Probably some oil getting around a gasket on the top of the engine. I'm not familiar with the engine and the pictures don't show the top, but typically there is a cover on the top. What part of Austin are you in? I should have some time either Saturday or Sunday if you can make it north to Round Rock.

Delete the smog canister.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vec
Well, I'd start with cleaning off what is there since it is spread around. Then you can try an identify where it is coming from. Probably some oil getting around a gasket on the top of the engine. I'm not familiar with the engine and the pictures don't show the top, but typically there is a cover on the top. What part of Austin are you in? I should have some time either Saturday or Sunday if you can make it north to Round Rock.

Live just north of campus near Hyde Park, although I'm currently in San Antonio for the holidays. I will clean it off and follow up when I get back to the bike!

Sounds good. I'll be on the road for a few days after Christmas, but will be home by New Years day.

My money is on the smog system.

If you had it with you in San Antonio I'd come take a look

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

head gasket leak where the top end oil passage is. could just be loose head nuts. I would check the torque of the head nuts first.

I ended up finding the leak. A little portion of the fuel line was corroded and leaking gas from there. Additionally, it was leaking out of the fuel filter. A quick afternoon replacing both and the bike is perfect! Thanks all for the help!

Back