• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Oklahoma Adventure Trail

Reaction score
Hey All...

Hear me out here... i know i'm talking about Oklahoma on a Texas forum, but i promise it will come full circle.

Some folks on Adventure rider have put together a route that circles the state of Oklahoma using mostly dirt roads, trails and some pavement. The route is actually pretty darn cool and travels through some diverse and scenic areas. Also there are some challenging areas, especially in the eastern part of the route.

Here is a link to a website where you can view the route sections in Google Maps and down load the GPS tracks for free...

Oklahoma Adventure Trail Link

Here is the Official Adventure Rider home page... you can also down load the GPS tracks from here...

Adv-Making the Oklahoma Adventure Trail

OK... the Texas connection... Wouldn't it be cool, if some texans developed a route traveling down eastern Texas to the Gulf of Mexico, and connected it to the eastern section of the Oklahoma Adventure Trail, say somewhere around Hugo or Idabel Oklahoma? Then we could get some Kansas riders to develop a route in eastern Kansas... etc.. etc.. you get the idea... A route that travels from north to south in the middle of America!!! Not as glamorous as the Continental Divide Route but full of all the rugged character that makes people from our part the country so great.

What do you think?

Fantastic idea !!! .... and that's where all great results come from... A great idea!!

Let's find a way to make this happen and show off our wonderful part of the country.

Sounds fun - I've ridden some back roads around Elk City before.

Sounds like a brilliant and worth while endeavor. :sun: With trails becoming less instead of more common, it is in our own best interest to create new riding opportunities any time we can. A multi state North / South trail starting on the gulf coast would be a great addition. One could take that out of TX, and for instance hook up to the TAT in Northern OK, then navigate across the country East or West. Or keep on heading up into the midwest states. Wouldn't it be cool if most states had an ADV trail network that complimented those of their neighboring states. Something that you could actually take as a travel route for a real journey, instead of another frivolous route that either delivers you in a circle, or to nowhere in particular. OK, Lets get to riding! Start finding those routes and making connections to viable existing trail systems in your region.:rider:

Reactions: my6
I believe I can get something together for northeast Texas from the state line down to I-20 east of 259.

Can't see the route without a GPS. Wonder where it goes on a map (no details). Also wonder how much is washed out rocks and technically difficult as I have less enthusiasm for long hard days. But the shots of the dirt and gravel are outstanding. Also wonder how much busy highway at speed as I am grossly underpowered for such.

But it looks like a TERRIFFIC idea. Especially a North South TAT, you know it can be done.

Can't see the route without a GPS. wonder how much is washed out rocks and technically difficult as I have less enthusiasm for long hard days. Also wonder how much busy highway at speed as I am grossly underpowered for such.

But it looks like a TERRIFFIC idea. Especially a North South TAT, you know it can be done.

As a long time TW rider, I can sure sympathize about not being able to make true highway speeds. The longer my group would stay on pavement, the further back I was. But I must say this; we have plenty of road networks in each state, from tiny obscure county gravel, to secondary county tar roads, small state highways and right on up to Interstates.
Anyone wanting a virtually jostle free ride to almost anywhere can simply get well detailed maps, and string together a route. What we don't have is a network of mostly off road trails which might also be used to take you somewhere meaningful. Technical riding, in varying degrees is the main reason most dirt riders prefer this activity to simple street riding. While most of us aren't looking to ride ISDT type terrain on a long trek, we do look forward to some challenges along with the changes of terrain & pace.
I vote lets not over homogenize our trails to the point of being just another gravel thoroughfare, those already exist in abundance.

I bet that if you guys can map the route that includes the technical stuff that you desire, I just bet there are alternative routes to the most difficult. Let's map both.

The east Texas route will have to be dirt and oil top roads because there is no public land here.

Alas most areas will by necessity contain more real roads than trails. All the more reason to include any off road opportunities. As previously stated, those who don't desire to take the more technical sections can always engineer a work around on more suitable surfaces.

I'll go exploring with you - when are we leaving?

Just throwing this out there..

The TAT is all legal road... so is the Continental Divide.... etc...

I have a lot faith in you Texas folks... let's join the eastern part of the Oklahoma Adventure Trail with a Texas Trail... then we'll get Kansas to do the same //// etc... etc... supply the GPX files for free, and all of us have fun with it...

Oklahoma Adventure Trail

Think of a place and an areas you would want the rest of the world to see and visit... from a cool town, to a cool restaurant, to an awesome scenic place!

Connect the dots...

I use a mapping service called Ride for GPS... originally made for bicycle riders but more useful for motorcycles. You can map a ride using google maps, and get the gps files.

Ride With GPS

take care...

Hey Dadayama, are you planning to go on that ADV ride out of Clayton OK on OCT 3-6?
I think it runs mostly on the K-2 trail? Seems like a good opportunity for some of us dirt lovin' Texans to get acquainted with our neighbors and trails to the North. Interested to see if there might be some viability in including some of these trail sections to connect up with our proposed multi state network.

Looks like I'll be able to get out Sunday and start working on a route in northeast Texas. I'll be working up a route from 259 at the Red River down to I 20 in Harrison county. I'm going to include Jefferson and Stagecoach road (the most haunted road in Texas)

Good man! We will now have a route out of OK into TX. You are setting a fine example for us gulf coast guys to follow. Here's hoping you are able to also find those extremely obscure, tiny & weathered dirt roads and occasional trail sections that make it a real DS experience.

Thanks Wedge1 for your offer to join me. I would love to go explore some dirt options for our Gulf Coast & lower E TX sections. I just haven't made the time yet. Once this brutal heat breaks later this month, I bet I start feeling a lot more like exploring. It is my intent to try and thread together as much of the National Forest areas as possible coming south out of N E TX. If that makes for a rather indirect path South, that is OK as long as it is good DS type riding. There are already plenty of paved North to South options for those who don't have time to dawdle & enjoy. I will be sure to give you a holler and see if you might be game to join me. We might talk Woodsguy into riding with us as well. He has indicated a couple of times that he would like to get out and ride more often, but usually can't find anyone down here to join him.

I see on the OAT site that each leg has a link and a map. Is there a map of the whole state and its trails?

Not sure if there is still interest in this link, but I have pulled together a GDB file (attached) from Mapsource for the entire track and each individual track. I also have a GPX file but it is too large to load. I heard about efforts to develop a route from Dallas to Oklahoma to tie into this route and I am interested in a dirt route from Houston or north of Houston to connect as well.

Attachments

• Oklahoma Adventure Trail.gdb
    1.1 MB · Views: 384
Think I might try a section of the OAT next week with one night camping or hotel up there. Anyone ride the sections on the south side around Armore to Durant?

Planning on Monday and Tuesday next week, Oct 5-6. Two of us, anyone one else want to ride Ardmore to Marlow, Ardmore to Durant OAT?

I have a route crossing the panhandle (mostly) on dirt. I have the route planned from the NM border to just SE of Jayton. I'm going to try and turn north and hook up with that corner of the OAT

OK... the Texas connection... Wouldn't it be cool, if some texans developed a route traveling down eastern Texas to the Gulf of Mexico, and connected it to the eastern section of the Oklahoma Adventure Trail, say somewhere around Hugo or Idabel Oklahoma? Then we could get some Kansas riders to develop a route in eastern Kansas... etc.. etc.. you get the idea... A route that travels from north to south in the middle of America!!! Not as glamorous as the Continental Divide Route but full of all the rugged character that makes people from our part the country so great.

What do you think?

Attachments

• cross state route 5-7-.jpg
    cross state route 5-7-.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 627
Back