• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Oklahoma Adventure Trail

Reaction score
Riding some theOAT. Excellent going up the eastern side of the state. Will share more later.

image-2189533281.jpg

The OAT must be 70 or 80 percent dirt. We had more due to rain had to by pass some muddy roads

I'm looking into that around spring break time.. As somebody who has (is) riding it, what kind of miles are you guys putting down every day? I'm assuming that 250 to 300 miles is the norm, which puts the whole loop at a 6 day trip. Is that a reasonable # for the most part, or is a 250 mile day going to have us pushing hard just to get to the stopping point for the night, with no time to take pictures, etc?

I know everybody is different - some of us go 80mph on every straightaway we see, even in the dirt, and some of us don't realize that you can use the top two gears when off pavement.. So for reference, everybody in my group would be capable of doing the East TX 450/500 in one day, but I'm the only one that would WANT to. We could do it in 2 days, and keep that pace up pretty indefinitely. And I don't foresee any of us having any problems with difficulty level - we're all dirt bikers who play on the street, and we'd likely be on dirt bikes (plated). We might be going slower on the pavement parts than most of the guys here would, though, as we tend to limit ourselves to around 60mph pavement, and around 50mph dirt.

If you stop and take pictures and have meals in a restaurant you should be able to average 200 to 250 a day easily. The eastern part is pretty twisty and not good visibly down the road. So that will be slower paced. But the norther and western sections will be very fast for you if not wet.

I think it really comes down to how much you want to stop and smell the roses vs just ride.

We got rained on big time. Plus we tried some new routes in eastern Okla and got some closed roads. We are not fast riders either. I stay between about 30 to 45. So I am not the best to give you guidance on this.

Well I guess I should start this tale. It is one of rain, mud and perseverance. We went for an adventure ride. And we got one. Of the 1300 miles we planned to do , we only got in about 850 or 900. But ..... It was still a sweet ride!! We had some good times.

This ride started at a place where I and my brother (Roamineye) started some 50 years ago at Wynnewood Okla. We moved there at the age of 9 & 10 years young, respectively.

IMG_2120.JPG

We began this trek at this corner:

photo%20%282%29.JPG

photo.JPG

Fighten Holler road. From as far back as I can remember the locals had called this Fighten Holler Road. About a mile down the road is an intersection of couty roads that was referred to Fighten Holler corner. There used to be a small hollow of trees off to the left and rumor has it that that is where folks would gather for Cock fights and what not in the early days of settlement in this area.

We changed this section of the OAT route to start here. The published section of the OAT goes down past Davis and is mostly pavement. So we wanted to try some back county roads and swing east of Sulpher to stay on gravel. Here is our route through this section.

Day%201%20route.JPG

Typical gravel road through this area.

IMG_2122.JPG

Saw what we thought were turkey. Turned out to be guinees.

IMG_2123.JPG

This was excellent gravel right up to where we hit a locked gate. Then had to just hit the highway south to link up with the published OAT route/
South of Mill Creek it turned into two track down a ranch road till we hit the locked gate. Really nice riding till that point.

Entrance to the ranch road that turned into 2 track.

photo%20%283%29.JPG

OAT Day 1 continued

We cruised on down the road. But rain was moving in. We were trying to get ahead of a cloud. But little did we know it was raining up ahead of us.

Saw a cool old bridge

IMG_2124.JPG

Stopped in to have a look at the old cavalry fort Ft. Washita.

photo%20%284%29.JPG

There is this very cool old one lane bridge across the Red River. A lot of traffic over this bridge. We had to wait a while to get a decent picture.

IMG_2127.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

It had really been raining up ahead of us and on us as well by this time. The roads were getting sloppy. But it was still decent riding for a good ways.

IMG_2129.JPG

About 30 or 40 miles west of Hugo there was not much gravel on the roads and we were slipping along in about 2 or 3 inches of mud (that did not stick to the tires thank goodness). Very slow going and it was getting on in the afternoon. We took a look at the weather radar on a cell phone and there was a very nasty storm just a few miles behind us moving our way. At this point we hit the pavement to Hugo and found a hotel. No camping on this night. It was a good decision. It pretty much rained all night.

IMG_2131.JPG

We sat out on our porch and watched the rain and sipping some Jack Daniels for a good while. We were really concerned about the next day. How would our roads be........

I have to say, the money spent on my Klim jacket and pants was worth every penny on this ride. We rode in a lot of rain and I stayed dry.

OAT - Day 2 Hugo into the Kiamichi Mountains

Given the rain the during the night we were in no hurry to get started on day 2. We got a good sleep and went and found breakfast. Trying to give things a bit of time to dry out a bit.

We only will make 136 miles on Day 2.

Somewhere around 9 Am we saddled up and headed out. But first we made a stop to see the Circus Cemetery. Back in the day it seems Hugo, Okla. was an off season spot for the traveling circuses to winter. And so a good number of circus people ended up here. Interesting.

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

Well we headed out of town and checked the dirt roads that make the OAT route. Sure enough they were muddy and slick. Too bad for us to try and slug it through. So we hopped on highway and figured we would try to pick up the route as it heads north from Broken Bow.

This turned out to be a good decision. The roads were better. Still wet and slick in some spots. So had to ride slow. The road surface would change in an instant and we were being pretty cautious. But as we worked our way up into the Kiamichi mountains, the scenery was very nice.

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2146.JPG

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

We also altered our route from the published OAT route. I tried to take us through some back forest roads and get over to ride the kTrail from Indian Highway then east on the kTrail. These back forest roads turn out to be 2 track and some sweet riding. Slow but very nice right up the ridge on top of a mountain.

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

The problem is we got back in there about 15 or 20 miles and it started getting dark on us. There was supposed to be a road that turned off down the mountain. But there was just no road to be found. So we camped right there on top the mountain. Took 30 minutes to get a fire going everything was so wet. And it was too much work to keep it going. So we sipped Jack Daniels and watched the fire die out.

IMG_2162.JPG

Here is how we tried to cut across to kTrail. This is not the way the published OAT route goes.

kTrail%20reroute.JPG

Here is where we were stopped by a locked gate.

Closed%20Road%20to%20kTrail.JPG

The next morning we headed on down the trail.

IMG_2163.JPG

But we had to back track due to the locked gate. We lost a good bit of time due to the mud and this closed road. But this was really very good riding and we just did not care. If we do not do the whole route, we get to come back and try again!

Making our way out to the highway.

IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

It was slow going. The roads were still muddy and slick. We finally made the pavement and headed north to pick up the OAT route. This made us give up trying to ride kTrail. But we know there are some very big mud holes on kTrail. And with all this rain .....

We passed by the entrance to the Talamina Drive. A sweet bit of 2 lane highway over the Winding Stair Mountain. If you have never ridden this, it is highly recommended.

IMG_2170.JPG

Finally we got linked up with the published OAT route somewhere north of the Talamina Drive. There was another road on our Garmine map that no longer was there. We burned up a lot of time trying to navigate. Finally we got on the route and pressed on. Not too many pics of the afternoon of day 3. But we had some decent back roads heading north.

IMG_2171.JPG

We ended the day in Sallisaw, Ok at a KOA camp ground. Nice camp ground . We had only made 150 miles on day 3. And, there was a larger front forecast to move in with more rain the next 2 days.....

They even provided wood for a nice fire at this camp ground. We got to relax around the camp fire with some Jack Daniels and enjoy a pleasant evening. At least there was no rain on this night.

IMG_2172.JPG

OAT Day 4

We rolled out around 8 AM to begin day 4. We realized the rain was not dampening our spirits at all. We were coping with it. And we had been having to very nice riding in spite of the conditions. Even with the big rain that was forecast starting this afternoon and on in to tomorrow, we endeavored to persevere and pressed on.

Our plan was to follow the published OAT route north and west. This section reminded me a lot of the East Tex 450. Hills and trees. Very nice. We were still contending with wet slippery roads. So we could not go too fast.

IMG_2173.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

I think Hobbits live here.

IMG_2175.JPG

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

There has to be a story behind this name.

IMG_2178.JPG

Things continue to be wet and slippery. One section goes along the Illinois River. Very pretty through here.

IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

IMG_2183.JPG

There was a little pavement. But it does end.

IMG_2184.JPG

Just nice riding.

IMG_2186.JPG

We end for the day in Prior, Okla. Since rain is likely we grab a hotel.
169 miles for today. The slippery roads keeps us in check speed wise. But by this time, we had let go of any thoughts about trying to do the entire route. It was not to happen.

OAT Day 5 - Prior, Okla through the TAll Grass Prarie

Today we follow the OAT route to the Bartlesville area. But then we depart from the OAT and continue to up into the Tall Grass Prairie. Even though we had grown up in Okla. we had never been in this area and we wanted to see it. The big front moving in had been delayed and was now forecast to hit today. Well you can't worry about those things. We have some interesting riding to do. So off we go.

Things start to open up some in this area. It is turning into prairie.

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

We started getting some rain and things got wet a gain. We hit a section where they were doing road work. The big machines had pounded the clay rock hard and now the was an thin layer of 20 wt owl dung on the surface. It was very slick. The result?? I had a slow speed low side.

IMG_2189.JPG

No harm done. We pressed on. The rain was moving in. But onward we went.

The roads started to get pretty sloppy again. So we did hop out on pavement to Nowata, Okla. Took a break. There was a diner in an old train station. Neat place. And they had home made coconut cream pie! We could not resist.

IMG_2190.JPG

The road surface changed to good gravel after Nowata. And I don't think there area had seen much rain yet. So we were able to get back on the route.

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

Some where in here is where you are actually going across the Seminole Indian Reservation.

IMG_2194.JPG

The rain started moving in.

IMG_2195.JPG

IMG_2196.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

Then all of a sudden you break out into the Tall Grass Prairie.

IMG_2198.JPG

The rain was poring down and the road was very sloppy. But we just did not care. This was awesome riding.

IMG_2199.JPG

The rain was really settling in. We knew that if we keep on going west we would hit roads with sticky clay that are just impassible. So.... at mid- afternoon we bailed out and hit highway. My brother lives not too far south, so we headed to his house to sit out the rain.

Here is the route we took through the Tall Grass Prairie.
Tall%20Grass%20Prarie.JPG

OAT Day 5 - westward Ho!

Roamineye's house was a welcome stop. He even did a few mechanical tweeks to his DR650 , know as DR Dirty.

We had watched the weather through the evening and got an update early in the morn. The rain had pretty much done its thing. But there was one last wave moving across the northern part of the state right along the Kansas border. We knew most of those county roads going west in the northern part of the OAT were likely impassible. Plus we only had 2 days left to ride. So.... We adopted a strategy :

- Do 2 hours of hiway due west from Perkins, Okla.
- Turn south on county roads near Weatherford, Okla. and head for the Wichita Mountains.

We have had family in the south western part of the state for ever and knew the county roads in that area should be ok even if wet. This cuts out the entire north-western and western sections of the OAT. But .... we only had 2 days. If we could get near the Wichita Mountains today. That would give us an easy ride back to Wynnewood on the last day.

We headed out on highway 33. When we got west of Guthrie this is what we saw.

IMG_2202.JPG

The southern edge of that last wave of rain was further south than the weather professionals were predicting. We pressed on to make sure. And ...

IMG_2204.JPG

We were riding right into it and it was looking pretty ominous. So we dropped further south and rode the old Highway 66 on west to Weatherford.
We missed the rain and linked up with some awesome county roads headed south.

IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

This area is wide open prairie and you can do some real broken field running if you want to. But we were riding relaxed and easy. We now had bright blue skies. The road was dry. The temperature was just right. Beautiful!

IMG_2209.JPG

We took a brief stop at this place. Any one remember what famous person grew up in Corn, Okla. ???

photo%20%2816%29.JPG

Onward south.

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

We happened on to this old cemetery. This must be from the early land run days.

IMG_2213.JPG

More fast roads.

IMG_2215.JPG

Wide open spaces.

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

The Wichita Mountains start to draw near.

IMG_2221.JPG

We ease in to the Wichita Mtns. and link back up with the OAT route. This section is on a ranch road and is ok for the public. We stopped and asked a rancher. Really nice ride though here.

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

We make it into Meres. Had one of their famous burgers. This is the standard size. They have a jumbo size if you want it.

IMG_2227.JPG

OAT Day 6 continued

Meers is an interesting spot. It is really just one bulding. And it sits right on a fault. The USGS actually keeps a quake recorder here.

IMG_2230.JPG

We ride on into the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge. This is a pretty neat place.

Mt Scott up ahead.

IMG_2231.JPG

There are buffalo and other prairie wild life in here.

IMG_2235.JPG

We grabbed a camp site at the Doris Campground and headed up to the top of Mt. Scott to catch the sun set.

photo%20%2817%29.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

IMG_2238.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

Needless to say the setting sun made for some great picture taking.

OAT Day 7 Mt Scott to Wynnewood

The camp at the Doris Campground was really very good. We purchased firewood at the entrance to the camp ground. Had a great fire, some Jack Daniels and very mellow evening.

IMG_2278.JPG

Our Kermit Chairs were very nice to have. These things are first class!

IMG_2275.JPG

We only had 100 miles to Wynnewood. So we had a relaxed start in the morning.

We did not follow the OAT route from Mt Scott to Wynnewood. I wish we would have. Many years ago I rode with my Dad from Wynnewood to Rush Springs and remembered it being some really nice gravel roads. So we thought we would check out this section as a possible alternate for the OAT. Turns out it was mostly pavement. Typical Okla. hills. Nice easy ride.

Typical of this section.

IMG_2282.JPG

photo%20%2820%29.JPG

Last bit of road into Wynnewood area.

IMG_2283.JPG

And we made it back to Fighten Holler Road. Seems like I am always drawn to come back to this place.

IMG_2284.JPG

After all that rain, mud, and slick roads, DR Dirty finally decided to take a nap in the back yard when we got to Dancing Rabbit Ranch.

photo%20%2821%29.JPG

Well that is the tale. 5 days of rain and slick muddy roads. 2 days of bright sun shire. All of it was great fun and interesting scenery.

I think the OAT can be ridden in 7 days with dry conditions. Oklahoma transitions from mountains in the east to wide open prairie in the west. Makes for an interesting ride. A great ride.

Thanks to the guys that pieced together the OAT. Good job!

Comments on gear and moto bikes:

The OAT is big bike friendly. Except don't try to do the kTrail on anything bigger than a KLR. I have ridden my KLR on the kTrail and it was fine but a hand full in certain spots.

My WRR and my brother's DR650 were just fine. Perfect in fact.

The Wolf Man water proof bags we used both used stayed dry in all the rain we had. I have the 30 liter side bags. These are very nice.

My KLIM Traverse jacket and pants were first class. I stayed dry.

My brother had Shinko 705 tires on. His comment, "I will never do an adventure ride again without knobbies!". LOL. He was slipping and spinning a good bit more than I was with the DOT knobbies I had on the WRR. Hr did pretty darn good though considering.

I used a Garmin Montana GPS. I really like this unit. You can have it display a track and then follow a route at the same time. If you get off the planned route and the unit re-routes, you can still see the track of where you should be. This is nice.

Attached are the tracks we used to start the ride. These are in GPX. Please note, We did several deviations from the official OAT route. Also the deviation in south eastern Okla. trying to get over to Indian Highway and the kTrail doe snot go through ( closed gate). So you may want to use the official OAT routes through those sections.

I will post the GPX routes in another post if it not in this one. Can't tell if both uploaded to this post.

Attachments

• OAT tracks.zip
    62.8 KB · Views: 247
Humm, not letting me attach the other zip file with GPX routes. PM me with your email and I will email to you.
-------
Attached are the GPX route files.

Back