• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Old Jails and where to find them rides

DaveC

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Carter
I have stopped at a few and gotten some photos. I thought some of you hooligans would know where some are located and give a short description of a good route into or away from these buildings. I know some have signs if they are still in use "no stopping, do not pick up pedestrians", yes they are old but lets stick to abandon and repurpose to keep you out of the calaboose!
now I have Jimmie Rogers singing "In the Jail House Now"

Last edited:
Dave PM me if you want to ride to Cameron and see these. With appointment you can go inside according to sign.

We can meet in Thorndale or Thrall.

Here's the Ol' San Jacinto County Jail. I saw OP's post and decided I needed to get out of the house for a little while. it's only about 6 miles into Coldspring, where the jail is located. Mrs. Bud wanted to go so I didn't ride and there is no motorcycle in the pix. Hope you can come out to visit the ol' jail when things loosen up a bit.

Later, Bud...

The one in Bellville is pretty darn cool.
I spent the night there a time or two to sleep off an evening that went on just a little longer than some thought was prudent, as they would give us accommodations and call our parents to let them know we would be spending the night. We did bring a nice breakfast over before we had to head home to answer to the real law

Bellville was a great place to grow up in during the 70s and early 80s

This is an old overnight holding cell or cage beside the police station in Thorndale Texas. The walls are thick concrete . I think it has a toilet because it has a vent. I have heard it was last used in the late 60's. Guess they transferred to Milam County jail in Cameron from it. Someone told me it has names scribed on the inside walls.
4-4-22 2.jpg

4-4-22 1.jpg

Old jail in Holliday, Texas. Of course it has not been used in many years as a place of incarceration. Might be fewer offenders if conditions were as they were back then.

Attachments

• 58F65A89-761B-4DB7-BEA7-8D07AF2A0111.jpeg
    58F65A89-761B-4DB7-BEA7-8D07AF2A0111.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 67
Jarbidge , Nevada just south of the Idaho/Nevada state line. There are no paved roads into Jarbidge. One of the most interesting places I've visited. Jarbidge is the starting point of the Idaho BDR.

0710210651.jpg

0710210652.jpg

I rode through Clifton in 2020. Heard the river flooded the town in the 1800s and they forgot to release the inmates.
:eek: We heard about the town flooding and I'm sure you noticed the flood gates they have erected, one for the railroad, one for the road and one for pedestrians. But we didn't hear about the forgotten souls in the jailhouse!

We really liked the town of Clifton

Back