• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Oldtlsdoug and MitchnTX Take on Time 2 Ride near Walnut Springs

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
Well, Mitch and I got out to Time 2 Ride this morning. We ran around about an hours worth. Met the owner, John. A great guy, he has built a fantastic facility. Mitch and I were sort of wondering if the whole dirt bike thing is for us.

So, right off the bat about 2 minutes in, Mitch slid down on his XR650L. No harm, no foul. We ran around a lot and had some great fun. We went down a green arrow (supposed to be easy) trail. There was about a 10 foot straight down portion. I made it to the bottom, tried to figure out where to go and ended up falling down the hill. Mitch=1, Doug+1. So off we go, somewhere I tossed myself on the ground again, same reason, short legs, low speed. I am seeing a trend here.

We got back to the parking area, I thought I would die at that point. But, funny thing, the smiles could not be wiped off of our faces. Wow, we had fun. So, a little break to hydrate and we were off again. I made it a short way in (wearing my GoPro) and fell in a creek bed. Beautiful video of all the oofs and hard breathing. Well documented struggle to pick up the bike, then up the muddy climb and all was good. I caught Mitch, and said, "You left me!" It was pretty funny that every time I lost track of him I fell off. (again, I am thinking it may not be Mitch's fault, but I hate to admit it.)

Then I was going down a pretty simple hill, got my foot hung in a Lantana bush, and the other hung in the shifter. So I am stuck with the bike trying to break my right knee, and I can't move my left leg to take weight off. So, I screamed to Mitch, who tossed his scooter (while laughing an appropriate amount) and rescued me. I believe I used a little bit of my Sailor-Speak when discussing my knee pain while Mitch extricated my right foot. Then I got down the hill, let Mitch by and went on.

Of course, about 14-15 min later Mitch ran me down that 10 foot drop, then he stopped, so I was yelling "GO!!" and he did, then we both made it safely. What a great time, Mitch and I were pretty giggly, we will be back.

Things I learned:
1. Commit when climbing or descending, pausing makes you choose poorly.
2. Get a helmet with Goggles, first on the list.
3. Get some proper clothing as well. We were pretty hot and I could have avoided a fall or two if my jeans hadn't slipped a bit (hazard for short fat guys.)
4. We might have a little too much scooter for beginners (we figured that not seriously ridning in the dirt for almost 40 + yrs makes us beginners) Considering a smaller AND much LIGHTER scooter.
5. I can't wait to get back. The folks there are awesome, the trails are well laid out and at $25.00 a day, I don't think there is a better motorcycling value to be had.

Loved it, I think Mitch and I are hooked on dirt, I did the track this past Thursday. I was sore when I started, but now I am really sore. Also, I am still grinning. Thanks for the invite, Mitch and breakfast.

Now off to impact the DR-Z crank plug off.

:rider::rider::clap::clap:

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Yep, it was a hoot. Definitely going back. Maybe sell the KTM for a Harley.

After some reflection, I think the pigs flew just fine.

I saw those other folks with lighter bikes. Being honest with myself, for my speed and experience level, I think I prefer a John Deere as opposed to Carrera.

I think there is less risk to falling and breaking a hip

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
Didn't get the plug off and my program locks up when I try to edit the video.

Ya'll just too old to learn to dirt bike. I'm not saying you are too old to dirt bike, but too old to learn. Learning is hard, and hard on the body. But fun. Where is this place? Mitch posted the URL but it's only registered and no site yet.

First Name
Steve
Its about halfway between Walnut Springs and Morgan on 927 on the south side of the road.

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
Ya'll just too old to learn to dirt bike. I'm not saying you are too old to dirt bike, but too old to learn. Learning is hard, and hard on the body. But fun. Where is this place? Mitch posted the URL but it's only registered and no site yet.
Man, that is tough. I guess I better sell all my stuff. But seriously, there was a lot of old stuff that actually came back. The biggest difference is the bike is better than anything I ever rode in the dirt back in the day. Having all that power at part throttle is great. My biggest issue is to not stop where I can't have a hope of putting my foot down.

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
Can I take shot at editing with my program?
Yes, absolutely, I have the technology to copy it off to something and would be honored if you could edit us a couple of clips.

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
No breakfast this morning Mitch. Sitting around being sore. Need to fix the DR-ZS. Got her apart, still trying to get the plug out. What a **** this has become. I thought about changing covers and mailing this one to Erik to see if he can get it apart.

The biggest difference is the bike is better than anything I ever rode in the dirt back in the day. Having all that power at part throttle is great.
Wait, and this was on the DRZ? Somebody let this man ride your modern KTM! :giveup: :rofl:

Seriously, glad you guys are out having fun, hope to join you one day. That's actually a smidge closer than Barnwell it looks like.

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
Wait, and this was on the DRZ? Somebody let this man ride your modern KTM! :giveup: :rofl:

Seriously, glad you guys are out having fun, hope to join you one day. That's actually a smidge closer than Barnwell it looks like.
My last dirt riding was on an 83 XT550 and it was very minimal. The last thing I jumped stuff on and climbed a lot of stuff was a SL100. So, yes, a DR-Z is a big change for me.

The place is about 30 min from my house. Feel free to come down, stay over and go ride.

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Kaszubski
Looks like I’ll have to put knobbies on the ‘busa and see if I remember how it’s done! Sounds like too much fun to pass up!!! Except for the twisted knee part, and the falling in the creek bed...

My last dirt riding was on an 83 XT550 and it was very minimal. The last thing I jumped stuff on and climbed a lot of stuff was a SL100. So, yes, a DR-Z is a big change for me.
Just wait till you ride something that wasn't designed 18 years ago! You'll pee your pants it's so good. :rider:

So much for retirement. :rofl:

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
I had a lot of fun on that old thing. Do you have a newer one?

I had a lot of fun on that old thing. Do you have a newer one?
Shoot no. But when my 1998 KTM was running it'd run circles around a DRZ. One day she shall run again. Looks like Andrew Cooksey isn't going to be starting his business back up again any time soon... :-(

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
when my 1998 KTM was running..
My antique DR-Z pulls stumps, I dare say it could probably pull that durn KTM up the hill as well so it could run circles around me on flat ground. Good plan.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
When you want to step it up a bit...try Red River Riding Trails in Bulcher.

I've been meaning to go out there for a day or two for a while.

Dirt is great fun.

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
Remember, Mitch and I checked "Beginner" on our sheets so nobody would be confused.

Old guys having fun. Heck we thought we would be stuck in our rocking chairs on the porch before we got this age.

My antique DR-Z pulls stumps, I dare say it could probably pull that durn KTM up the hill as well so it could run circles around me on flat ground. Good plan.
229 pounds vs 319 pounds and 250cc of two stroke goodness FTW. DRZ will pull stumps, but it's a barge on the trails. It's like trying to ride an FJR on the track. My FJR will pull stumps but the GSX-R750 does a much better job. And the new bikes would whoop my old bike so easy.

You want fun, I got to ride KTM's 200cc two stroke a long long time ago, man that thing flew and was like riding a toy it flicked around so much.

When you want to step it up a bit...try Red River Riding Trails in Bulcher...
Just a heads up: Red River is closed for the month of July. Just rode by there this morning on a road trip. I believe they open back up August 4th or so.

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Here we go ... yet another which dirt bike should I get thread ...

Two old guys having our definition of "fun" using the tools in the shop, retired (or soon to be) and with no debt load.

What is it you kids don't get? :giveup:

Last edited:

StromXTc

Forum Supporter
First Name
Brian
Great job guys! Grampaws back in the day just didnt do this kind of stuff :thumb::thumb:

Looking forward to some pics :popcorn:

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
I need to get the video over to Mitch. I already put it on an SD card, so we are halfway there.

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
It was never that.
I am pretty happy the DR-Z was as much fun as it was. I did learn that even a 60 yr old can pick it up, I can get on it in flat muddy ground and it was a lot of fun for very little money. While I would like to look at other bikes, without a Lotto win, I think I am using the DR-Z.

Things I learned:
1. Commit when climbing or descending, pausing makes you choose poorly.
2. Get a helmet with Goggles, first on the list.
3. Get some proper clothing as well. We were pretty hot and I could have avoided a fall or two if my jeans hadn't slipped a bit (hazard for short fat guys.)
4. We might have a little too much scooter for beginners (we figured that not seriously ridning in the dirt for almost 40 + yrs makes us beginners) Considering a smaller AND much LIGHTER scooter.
5. I can't wait to get back. The folks there are awesome, the trails are well laid out and at $25.00 a day, I don't think there is a better motorcycling value to be had.

Loved it, I think Mitch and I are hooked on dirt
Much easier to ride it up than push it up! Momentum is your friend when it comes to hill climbing. Yes, helmet with googles is the way to go. If its not dusty you can wear saftey glasses as well. Lets more air on your face to help keep you cool. Also, think vented gear. Much cooler and if its winter you can always add a layer or underlayer that is wind blocking. I wear vented year around.

Glad you guys had fun :rider: Both bikes are capable. Struggling in the sun on a hot day those two particular bikes will take it out of you. Dual sports and dirt bikes are fun. Its fun learning to go again or just getting out and riding. This time of year.. hydrate, hydrate and then hydrate some more! :eek2: Bring water with you and if you stop get out of the sun and shed some gear to keep cool.

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
Amazingly most of the trails are in the shade. We had the EZ up and lots of water/gatorade. I do a lot of riding at the racetrack in a leather suit. So shade and hydrating are my best riding skill.

Amazingly most of the trails are in the shade. We had the EZ up and lots of water/gatorade. I do a lot of riding at the racetrack in a leather suit. So shade and hydrating are my best riding skill.
HA! Its amazing how I forget that around here. Barnwell is the same (all shade on the trails). I did the majority of my summer riding in West Texas. If you don't bring shade or seek it out its not readily available. :eek2: :giveup: It can be brutal, but at least its a dry heat right.... ;-) :doh:

Jason.... I've heard good things about these guys. That KTM needs love just like my V-strom. http://crankworks.com/index.php/crank-services

Cooksey has been dealing with health issues and I've heard moved as well so getting things all set up it could be a while (a long while). He is a wealth of knowledge and the 200exc crowd loves him. I got a gasket kit and top end recently, but never had him do work as he is not accepting any now. I'm sure he could likely quite his day job and do this full time if he were in a postion and cared to out of his house. He would likely get more work than he could possibly do by himself.

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Doug and I are thinking about trying it again Saturday morning the 14th.
Anyone else?

I hope to have Doug-o-Vision from last week posted later this evening

[ame="https://youtu.be/QRYtF0LMZAY"]Fun at Time 2 Ride near Walnut Springs, Tx - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
Nice work Mitch, I guess you couldn't bleep out the Lantana crash. I think you should put up a crash reel, sir.

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
LOL!!!! Well done, the beeps were the best part. I don't know how Mitch didn't lay on the ground and die laughing. I really was twisting my knee in that dang bush. I suck, but at least Jasen will be able to tell I am a Sailor.

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Basinger
Just one more thing I need to say. Mitch is very patient, even when his riding buddy is saying bad things. Always go riding with Mitch, he ALWAYS has your back.

:chug::hail::hail::flip::flip::hail::hail::chug:

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Just one more thing I need to say. Mitch is very patient, even when his riding buddy is saying bad things. Always go riding with Mitch, he ALWAYS has your back.

:chug::hail::hail::flip::flip::hail::hail::chug:

OK ... what do you need? :headbang:

It appears one other DRZ rider will be joining us in the morning.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
OK ... what do you need? :headbang:

It appears one other DRZ rider will be joining us in the morning.
When do you guys plan to be there? Thinking about it....

Haven't ridden real dirt in ages...

If I brought the GS, are the trails too tight to ride it? Looks like there are some bypass routes for some of the tougher / tighter stuff.

The obvious choice is the WR. But would need to trailer it and to be honest, I'd like the challenge of riding the GS in some hard stuff if possible.

Last edited:

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
When do you guys plan to be there? Thinking about it....

Haven't ridden real dirt in ages...

If I brought the GS, are the trails too tight to ride it? Looks like there are some bypass routes for some of the tougher / tighter stuff.

The obvious choice is the WR. But would need to trailer it and to be honest, I'd like the challenge of riding the GS in some hard stuff if possible.
Meeting at Big Cup in Glen Rose at 0630

There are some pretty tight spots.
But they said they've had GSs out there before and were surprised.

And I'd like to eyeball and lay hands on the WR at some point ... cause you just never know ...

Last edited:

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Meeting at Big Cup in Glen Rose at 0630

There are some pretty tight spots.
But they said they've had GSs out there before and were surprised.

And I'd like to eyeball and lay hands on the WR at some point ... cause you just never know ...
Ok. I may meet you. I'd have to leave at 5:30, but I've done it before. Are you eating breakfast? I assume Big Cup is a restaurant.

Likely on the GS if I come for this one. I have a trailer, but the tow vehicle is my wife's so I have to make plans to use it.