• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Oldtlsdoug and MitchnTX Take on Time 2 Ride near Walnut Springs

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Well, Mitch and I got out to Time 2 Ride this morning. We ran around about an hours worth. Met the owner, John. A great guy, he has built a fantastic facility. Mitch and I were sort of wondering if the whole dirt bike thing is for us.

So, right off the bat about 2 minutes in, Mitch slid down on his XR650L. No harm, no foul. We ran around a lot and had some great fun. We went down a green arrow (supposed to be easy) trail. There was about a 10 foot straight down portion. I made it to the bottom, tried to figure out where to go and ended up falling down the hill. Mitch=1, Doug+1. So off we go, somewhere I tossed myself on the ground again, same reason, short legs, low speed. I am seeing a trend here.

We got back to the parking area, I thought I would die at that point. But, funny thing, the smiles could not be wiped off of our faces. Wow, we had fun. So, a little break to hydrate and we were off again. I made it a short way in (wearing my GoPro) and fell in a creek bed. Beautiful video of all the oofs and hard breathing. Well documented struggle to pick up the bike, then up the muddy climb and all was good. I caught Mitch, and said, "You left me!" It was pretty funny that every time I lost track of him I fell off. (again, I am thinking it may not be Mitch's fault, but I hate to admit it.)

Then I was going down a pretty simple hill, got my foot hung in a Lantana bush, and the other hung in the shifter. So I am stuck with the bike trying to break my right knee, and I can't move my left leg to take weight off. So, I screamed to Mitch, who tossed his scooter (while laughing an appropriate amount) and rescued me. I believe I used a little bit of my Sailor-Speak when discussing my knee pain while Mitch extricated my right foot. Then I got down the hill, let Mitch by and went on.

Of course, about 14-15 min later Mitch ran me down that 10 foot drop, then he stopped, so I was yelling "GO!!" and he did, then we both made it safely. What a great time, Mitch and I were pretty giggly, we will be back.

Things I learned:
1. Commit when climbing or descending, pausing makes you choose poorly.
2. Get a helmet with Goggles, first on the list.
3. Get some proper clothing as well. We were pretty hot and I could have avoided a fall or two if my jeans hadn't slipped a bit (hazard for short fat guys.)
4. We might have a little too much scooter for beginners (we figured that not seriously ridning in the dirt for almost 40 + yrs makes us beginners) Considering a smaller AND much LIGHTER scooter.
5. I can't wait to get back. The folks there are awesome, the trails are well laid out and at $25.00 a day, I don't think there is a better motorcycling value to be had.

Loved it, I think Mitch and I are hooked on dirt, I did the track this past Thursday. I was sore when I started, but now I am really sore. Also, I am still grinning. Thanks for the invite, Mitch and breakfast.

Now off to impact the DR-Z crank plug off.

:rider::rider::clap::clap:

Yep, it was a hoot. Definitely going back. Maybe sell the KTM for a Harley.

After some reflection, I think the pigs flew just fine.

I saw those other folks with lighter bikes. Being honest with myself, for my speed and experience level, I think I prefer a John Deere as opposed to Carrera.

I think there is less risk to falling and breaking a hip

Now off to impact the DR-Z crank plug off.

:rider::rider::clap::clap:

Doug went back to work ... I took a 2 hour nap.

However, that is a more common occurrence now that I'm retired. :chug:

Didn't get the plug off and my program locks up when I try to edit the video.

Can I take shot at editing with my program?

Ya'll just too old to learn to dirt bike. I'm not saying you are too old to dirt bike, but too old to learn. Learning is hard, and hard on the body. But fun. Where is this place? Mitch posted the URL but it's only registered and no site yet.

Its about halfway between Walnut Springs and Morgan on 927 on the south side of the road.

Ya'll just too old to learn to dirt bike. I'm not saying you are too old to dirt bike, but too old to learn. Learning is hard, and hard on the body. But fun. Where is this place? Mitch posted the URL but it's only registered and no site yet.

Man, that is tough. I guess I better sell all my stuff. But seriously, there was a lot of old stuff that actually came back. The biggest difference is the bike is better than anything I ever rode in the dirt back in the day. Having all that power at part throttle is great. My biggest issue is to not stop where I can't have a hope of putting my foot down.

I'm at your service, sensei ...

No breakfast this morning Mitch. Sitting around being sore. Need to fix the DR-ZS. Got her apart, still trying to get the plug out. What a **** this has become. I thought about changing covers and mailing this one to Erik to see if he can get it apart.

The biggest difference is the bike is better than anything I ever rode in the dirt back in the day. Having all that power at part throttle is great.

Wait, and this was on the DRZ? Somebody let this man ride your modern KTM! :giveup: :rofl:

Seriously, glad you guys are out having fun, hope to join you one day. That's actually a smidge closer than Barnwell it looks like.

Wait, and this was on the DRZ? Somebody let this man ride your modern KTM! :giveup: :rofl:

Seriously, glad you guys are out having fun, hope to join you one day. That's actually a smidge closer than Barnwell it looks like.

My last dirt riding was on an 83 XT550 and it was very minimal. The last thing I jumped stuff on and climbed a lot of stuff was a SL100. So, yes, a DR-Z is a big change for me.

The place is about 30 min from my house. Feel free to come down, stay over and go ride.

Looks like I’ll have to put knobbies on the ‘busa and see if I remember how it’s done! Sounds like too much fun to pass up!!! Except for the twisted knee part, and the falling in the creek bed...

My last dirt riding was on an 83 XT550 and it was very minimal. The last thing I jumped stuff on and climbed a lot of stuff was a SL100. So, yes, a DR-Z is a big change for me.
Just wait till you ride something that wasn't designed 18 years ago! You'll pee your pants it's so good. :rider:

So much for retirement. :rofl:

I had a lot of fun on that old thing. Do you have a newer one?

Shoot no. But when my 1998 KTM was running it'd run circles around a DRZ. One day she shall run again. Looks like Andrew Cooksey isn't going to be starting his business back up again any time soon... :-(

Back