• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Oldtlsdoug and MitchnTX Take on Time 2 Ride near Walnut Springs

When you want to step it up a bit...try Red River Riding Trails in Bulcher.

I've been meaning to go out there for a day or two for a while.

Dirt is great fun.

Remember, Mitch and I checked "Beginner" on our sheets so nobody would be confused.

My antique DR-Z pulls stumps, I dare say it could probably pull that durn KTM up the hill as well so it could run circles around me on flat ground. Good plan.

229 pounds vs 319 pounds and 250cc of two stroke goodness FTW. DRZ will pull stumps, but it's a barge on the trails. It's like trying to ride an FJR on the track. My FJR will pull stumps but the GSX-R750 does a much better job. And the new bikes would whoop my old bike so easy.

You want fun, I got to ride KTM's 200cc two stroke a long long time ago, man that thing flew and was like riding a toy it flicked around so much.

When you want to step it up a bit...try Red River Riding Trails in Bulcher...

Just a heads up: Red River is closed for the month of July. Just rode by there this morning on a road trip. I believe they open back up August 4th or so.

Here we go ... yet another which dirt bike should I get thread ...

Two old guys having our definition of "fun" using the tools in the shop, retired (or soon to be) and with no debt load.

What is it you kids don't get? :giveup:

Last edited:
Here we go ... yet another which dirt bike should I get thread ...

Two old guys having our definition of "fun" using the tools in the shop, retired (or soon to be) and with no debt load.

What is it you kids don't get? :giveup:

It was never that.

Great job guys! Grampaws back in the day just didnt do this kind of stuff :thumb::thumb:

Looking forward to some pics :popcorn:

I need to get the video over to Mitch. I already put it on an SD card, so we are halfway there.

It was never that.

I am pretty happy the DR-Z was as much fun as it was. I did learn that even a 60 yr old can pick it up, I can get on it in flat muddy ground and it was a lot of fun for very little money. While I would like to look at other bikes, without a Lotto win, I think I am using the DR-Z.

Things I learned:
1. Commit when climbing or descending, pausing makes you choose poorly.
2. Get a helmet with Goggles, first on the list.
3. Get some proper clothing as well. We were pretty hot and I could have avoided a fall or two if my jeans hadn't slipped a bit (hazard for short fat guys.)
4. We might have a little too much scooter for beginners (we figured that not seriously ridning in the dirt for almost 40 + yrs makes us beginners) Considering a smaller AND much LIGHTER scooter.
5. I can't wait to get back. The folks there are awesome, the trails are well laid out and at $25.00 a day, I don't think there is a better motorcycling value to be had.

Loved it, I think Mitch and I are hooked on dirt

Much easier to ride it up than push it up! Momentum is your friend when it comes to hill climbing. Yes, helmet with googles is the way to go. If its not dusty you can wear saftey glasses as well. Lets more air on your face to help keep you cool. Also, think vented gear. Much cooler and if its winter you can always add a layer or underlayer that is wind blocking. I wear vented year around.

Glad you guys had fun :rider: Both bikes are capable. Struggling in the sun on a hot day those two particular bikes will take it out of you. Dual sports and dirt bikes are fun. Its fun learning to go again or just getting out and riding. This time of year.. hydrate, hydrate and then hydrate some more! :eek2: Bring water with you and if you stop get out of the sun and shed some gear to keep cool.

Amazingly most of the trails are in the shade. We had the EZ up and lots of water/gatorade. I do a lot of riding at the racetrack in a leather suit. So shade and hydrating are my best riding skill.

Amazingly most of the trails are in the shade. We had the EZ up and lots of water/gatorade. I do a lot of riding at the racetrack in a leather suit. So shade and hydrating are my best riding skill.

HA! Its amazing how I forget that around here. Barnwell is the same (all shade on the trails). I did the majority of my summer riding in West Texas. If you don't bring shade or seek it out its not readily available. :eek2: :giveup: It can be brutal, but at least its a dry heat right.... ;-) :doh:

Jason.... I've heard good things about these guys. That KTM needs love just like my V-strom. http://crankworks.com/index.php/crank-services

Cooksey has been dealing with health issues and I've heard moved as well so getting things all set up it could be a while (a long while). He is a wealth of knowledge and the 200exc crowd loves him. I got a gasket kit and top end recently, but never had him do work as he is not accepting any now. I'm sure he could likely quite his day job and do this full time if he were in a postion and cared to out of his house. He would likely get more work than he could possibly do by himself.

Doug and I are thinking about trying it again Saturday morning the 14th.
Anyone else?

I hope to have Doug-o-Vision from last week posted later this evening

[ame="https://youtu.be/QRYtF0LMZAY"]Fun at Time 2 Ride near Walnut Springs, Tx - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Nice work Mitch, I guess you couldn't bleep out the Lantana crash. I think you should put up a crash reel, sir.

There were so many ... it seemed cruel.

LOL!!!! Well done, the beeps were the best part. I don't know how Mitch didn't lay on the ground and die laughing. I really was twisting my knee in that dang bush. I suck, but at least Jasen will be able to tell I am a Sailor.

Just one more thing I need to say. Mitch is very patient, even when his riding buddy is saying bad things. Always go riding with Mitch, he ALWAYS has your back.

:chug::hail::hail::flip::flip::hail::hail::chug:

Just one more thing I need to say. Mitch is very patient, even when his riding buddy is saying bad things. Always go riding with Mitch, he ALWAYS has your back.

:chug::hail::hail::flip::flip::hail::hail::chug:

OK ... what do you need? :headbang:

It appears one other DRZ rider will be joining us in the morning.

OK ... what do you need? :headbang:

It appears one other DRZ rider will be joining us in the morning.

When do you guys plan to be there? Thinking about it....

Haven't ridden real dirt in ages...

If I brought the GS, are the trails too tight to ride it? Looks like there are some bypass routes for some of the tougher / tighter stuff.

The obvious choice is the WR. But would need to trailer it and to be honest, I'd like the challenge of riding the GS in some hard stuff if possible.

Last edited:
When do you guys plan to be there? Thinking about it....

Haven't ridden real dirt in ages...

If I brought the GS, are the trails too tight to ride it? Looks like there are some bypass routes for some of the tougher / tighter stuff.

The obvious choice is the WR. But would need to trailer it and to be honest, I'd like the challenge of riding the GS in some hard stuff if possible.

Meeting at Big Cup in Glen Rose at 0630

There are some pretty tight spots.
But they said they've had GSs out there before and were surprised.

And I'd like to eyeball and lay hands on the WR at some point ... cause you just never know ...

Last edited:
Meeting at Big Cup in Glen Rose at 0630

There are some pretty tight spots.
But they said they've had GSs out there before and were surprised.

And I'd like to eyeball and lay hands on the WR at some point ... cause you just never know ...
Ok. I may meet you. I'd have to leave at 5:30, but I've done it before. Are you eating breakfast? I assume Big Cup is a restaurant.

Likely on the GS if I come for this one. I have a trailer, but the tow vehicle is my wife's so I have to make plans to use it.

Back