• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II 4/3 Camera

Not Dave

Technically I AM Dave
Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Hogate
A few years ago I picked up a used Sony DSLR a550. I've since acquired some newer lenses, my favorites being a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (love this lens) and a Sony SAL18135 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 which was the go-to every day lens.

I said to myself when mirrorless cameras came out they weren't good enough for me. I've since changed my tune.

Yesterday (Dec 4, 2015) I picked up the Olympus four thirds camera with the kit lens and their 40-150mm zoom. I haven't had a chance to use it but have charged the battery and taken everything else out of the packaging. ** With the 4/3 image sensor size you basically double the lens number to get its equivalent to a full frame lens. So the 40-150mm lens I picked up is equivalent to an 80-300 lens on a full frame camera. I can also use Panasonic lenses without an adapter, some of which are Leica branded.

One thing I never had with the Sony (still have it and all the lenses) is a prime lens but plan to change that soon.

This camera is much smaller and lighter than the DSLR so it should be easier to take around. I'm not a professional by any means but have seen some pro's using mirrorless cameras for their photography and the images are fantastic.

Part of the reason I do leisure photography is I'm a law enforcement officer and this allows me to unwind, get creative and do something I love. I'm sure there are some things I've seen and heard that a lot of folks would never imagine happen. Things get stuck in my head, once you see it it's there for a long, long time (possibly a lifetime). Soldiers that have been in battle also know what I'm talking about. So I like to ride motorcycles, listen to music and photography. Those are my outlets.

When I start getting images with the new camera I'd like to share some of them here. I love night photography, playing with light, also scenery and motorized vehicles both on road and airborne. Hopefully I can get some good ones.

A couple of years ago I happened across a fella with his 57 Chevy Bel Air in a field taking photos of it with his two sons. After stopping and talking to him I offered to take photos of him with his sons in front of the car (he didn't bring a tripod) and he was very grateful for that and the shots I took. He told me he sold the car and was taking it to Houston the next day so it would be packed into a shipping container and taken to England. Once in a lifetime opportunity! I was in uniform on duty that day. It was a beautiful car.

I'm looking forward to using this four/thirds camera. Yeah, I coulda gotten an APS-C or Full Frame mirrorless but I really liked the retro styling of the EM10, the feel of it and the quality of photo's I've seen with these cameras. Originally I was going for the Sony a6000 but did not like how it felt nor the viewfinder nor it's design (I called it the Sponge Bob Square Camera). Here is a stock image of the camera I got:

OM-D_E-M10MarkII_landscape_300dpi_900x500.jpg

Nice, I've been wanting something similar. Look forward to seeing your images from it.

Well done. You'll love it!

I've got the EM-5 Mark I - and love it. Small, but still metal body. Weather sealed and there are several weather sealed lenses to go with it. (I've decided to stop buying electronics that EVER get used outside that are not 100% rain proof.)

Oly's 12-40 f/2.8 is amazing (and weather proof, of course). It's the classic 24-70mm equiv (24-80 actually), but a THIRD the weight and HALF the length and price of a Nikon full-frame equiv. So this lens lives on the camera - I don't think I've removed it since I got it.

I'm totally sold on μ43 - because they did what Canon and Nikon couldn't do with their 1.5-ish crop lenses - decrease the flange distance. Canikon needed compatibility with their full frame lenses without adapter, and that backwards compatibility puts a lower limit on the lens diameter and total size.

I also have a five-year-old PEN EM-1 (that's what I took to Big Bend). Those are about $90 new ($60-ish used), and TINY. Perfect for banging around in a top case on Black Gap Road! Image quality is perfectly adequate (IMHO) in good light.

When I can afford the 12-40mm PRO lens I will get it, most definitely.

These two were taken with the 40-150mm because it has a polarized filter which helps the colors pop more. Black dog is Tank, shepherd is Gunner. They're both "rescues" that I didn't name, that's the way they came. Got them about 2 years apart.

PC050003_zpsmpdro2de.jpg

PC050004_zpsut49b88g.jpg

Tomorrow is the monthly car show in Leander at 10am, hoping to go. If I do there will be some photos taken. We're also going to get a Christmas tree in Elgin.

Sent from my Android tablet using Tapatalk.

Tomorrow is the monthly car show in Leander at 10am, hoping to go. If I do there will be some photos taken. We're also going to get a Christmas tree in Elgin.

Where's the show? I may head over and I'll look for you.

I didn't wake up until 10 (worked last night), didn't get dressed until 10:30, it takes an hour to get to Leander so didn't go.

I know nothing about the current Olympus line, but that one sure is purdy. :clap:

A few years ago I picked up a used Sony DSLR a550. I've since acquired some newer lenses, my favorites being a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (love this lens) and a Sony SAL18135 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 which was the go-to every day lens.

I said to myself when mirrorless cameras came out they weren't good enough for me. I've since changed my tune.

Yesterday (Dec 4, 2015) I picked up the Olympus four thirds camera with the kit lens and their 40-150mm zoom. I haven't had a chance to use it but have charged the battery and taken everything else out of the packaging. ** With the 4/3 image sensor size you basically double the lens number to get its equivalent to a full frame lens. So the 40-150mm lens I picked up is equivalent to an 80-300 lens on a full frame camera. I can also use Panasonic lenses without an adapter, some of which are Leica branded.

One thing I never had with the Sony (still have it and all the lenses) is a prime lens but plan to change that soon.

This camera is much smaller and lighter than the DSLR so it should be easier to take around. I'm not a professional by any means but have seen some pro's using mirrorless cameras for their photography and the images are fantastic.

Part of the reason I do leisure photography is I'm a law enforcement officer and this allows me to unwind, get creative and do something I love. I'm sure there are some things I've seen and heard that a lot of folks would never imagine happen. Things get stuck in my head, once you see it it's there for a long, long time (possibly a lifetime). Soldiers that have been in battle also know what I'm talking about. So I like to ride motorcycles, listen to music and photography. Those are my outlets.

When I start getting images with the new camera I'd like to share some of them here. I love night photography, playing with light, also scenery and motorized vehicles both on road and airborne. Hopefully I can get some good ones.

A couple of years ago I happened across a fella with his 57 Chevy Bel Air in a field taking photos of it with his two sons. After stopping and talking to him I offered to take photos of him with his sons in front of the car (he didn't bring a tripod) and he was very grateful for that and the shots I took. He told me he sold the car and was taking it to Houston the next day so it would be packed into a shipping container and taken to England. Once in a lifetime opportunity! I was in uniform on duty that day. It was a beautiful car.

I'm looking forward to using this four/thirds camera. Yeah, I coulda gotten an APS-C or Full Frame mirrorless but I really liked the retro styling of the EM10, the feel of it and the quality of photo's I've seen with these cameras. Originally I was going for the Sony a6000 but did not like how it felt nor the viewfinder nor it's design (I called it the Sponge Bob Square Camera). Here is a stock image of the camera I got:

OM-D_E-M10MarkII_landscape_300dpi_900x500.jpg

Dave, Sweetwife bought an E-5 MARK II with a 14-150 waterproof lens....we went to precisions event on Saturday and came home with this one! I am going to get her to join this forum so you guys can compare notes!
Here is an accidental picture she took of Mason at a band concert on Saturday night. I say accidental because right this second she couldn't reproduce a similar image....but she'll get better! :sun:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 304
Congrats on the purchase. I was looking at several mirrorless interchangeable lense cameras to put in my tank bag and Olympus was one of the finalists but I ended up with a samsung nx 300.

Mark, she took an excellent photo! I love the blurred movement and your stoic boy. Congrats to her on the acquisition. I'll be getting the 12-50mm lens soon.

Dave, Sweetwife bought an E-5 MARK II with a 14-150 waterproof lens....we went to precisions event on Saturday and came home with this one! I am going to get her to join this forum so you guys can compare notes!

WooHoo! Glad to hear this.... Sorry I missed you Saturday. I was there about 9:20 (outside), 10:00 for a class, and left about 11:15.

I scored a 1968 Nikkormat FT2/50mm f/1.4 (both non-working) for free to supplement my Vietnam era API Correspondent uniform/kit I'm working on acquiring.

Dave - That's a nice looking camera. Can't wait to see your creative side blossom.

I went to Precision Camera on Thursday to drop off the DSLR to get cleaned, figured it wouldn't be ready until the following week. They called me Friday morning, it was ready. So I go down and the place is packed. So I picked up the DSLR and bought the Olympus at the same time.

I'm really enjoying it but haven't used it that much. Here's a sample of one I took tonight. Hand held, 1 second at f/3.5, 1600 ISO, looking toward Austin from Lago Vista. It's a little blurry, need to bring a tripod next time.

PC070013_zps05dy2djj.jpg

The 12-50mm lens (24-100mm full frame equivalent) arrived this afternoon, I don't get home until after 1am from work so will get to play with it tomorrow on my day off. Should be a good everyday lens. Tomorrow is forecast to be sunny with a high of 80, not bad for December.

My birthday was during our trip to Big Bend last month, this was my gift to myself I guess.

There's so much to this little camera it boggles my mind! I admit I haven't really started using it yet either, it's that time of year when we're all so busy.

Jeff S directed me to a stellar article/review about this camera on Imaging Resource in which they call it "the most capable all-around camera in its class." Not everyone loves it as much as IR does but they really did do a better review than most it seems, more in depth as most reviews were basic.

Here's a few and all hand held. This first one was just after sunset. I used some shading up top to bring down the brightness. Used the 12-50mm zoom.

PC150038_zpsrk6dfkhz.jpg

On this I used the 40-150mm $99 zoom lens. Cropped to zoom in some and added some contrast.

PC180062_zpsveou6w7m.jpg

This was from my back yard with the same 40-150 zoom. My neighbor had a friend over with a hunting falcon and asked if it were OK for him to try and get the ducks in our pond. Sure, whatever, didn't know we had ducks in our pond. So I went out and took a couple of pictures. The ducks flew away a few minutes later but not because of the falcon.

PC180069_zpssyvutfa1.jpg

Photo editing program I used is PhotoScape. It's a free download. My PC has Lightroom 4 on it but I rarely use it. Mostly just fixing JPEG's, resizing and throwing on the internet so PhotoScape works fine for that. It has a myriad of filters and such. For being free it works fantastically. If using Google's Chrome browser and you install the LPEF Photo Analyzer it'll show the EXIF info. Thanks to Rusty for pointing me to that little diddy.

Last edited:
That camera is a sweet looking rig.

We bought my wife an EP-3 a few years ago.
Very capable camera.

My main gripe, and the main reason I picked up a D7100, was it's poor low-light capabilities. I'm sure the newer models are better

The camera will turn an amazing shot when the operator knows what's going on, as is clear that you do.
Enjoy the rig!

Thanks for the compliments on the photos.

I'd love to get some PRO and prime lenses but that'll have to wait. Maybe if I sold my DSLR equipment I'd be able to afford...

Better sunset taken from my front yard but still not spectacular.

PC190085_zpsx0fky9hm.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments on the photos.

I'd love to get some PRO and prime lenses but that'll have to wait. Maybe if I sold my DSLR equipment I'd be able to afford...

Better sunset taken from my front yard but still not spectacular.

PC190085_zpsx0fky9hm.jpg

If that was last night, I saw those clouds while riding home? I like it! :sun:

Back