• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II 4/3 Camera

Sitting here watching college football, which is depressing, so decided to look at the camera's manual and how to connect my smart phone to it (Motorola Moto X 2nd Gen). It connect right up. I can use the smart phone to control the camera shutter, f/stop, ISO, shutter speed and other things including geo-tagging. And I can use the phone as a viewfinder. Pretty nifty.

I transferred a couple of pics to my phone, was pretty quick. That also allows me to immediately share or upload the pics too.

Earlier I was looking on how to fire a remote speedlight either wired or wireless. I already have a nice Sony flash and it looks like I can get a Cactus V5 system I can use that strobe with the Olympus. Still reading up on that.

Oh yeah, instead of buying every lens I can for the camera - as in I want prime lenses - I've decided that if I want to start doing street photography once in a while I won't get the 17mm (34mm equivalent to full frame) or a 25mm (50mm equivalent - nifty fifty) until I decide which one is better, if either. My camera came with the small 14-42 zoom so I can set it at 17mm then at 25mm and see which one I like better. I may decide just to wait and get the PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 zoom instead. It will cover low light, which I love, night time, landscape and a few other things. Of course the 17mm f/1.8 and 25mm f/1.8 sounds really tempting for low light and landscape type stuff. I like using existing light if possible for candid shots in restaurants or bars and that would work really well. My Sony has a 17-50mm f/2.8 and I love that lens for that type of stuff, almost identical to what the 12-40mm would be for the Oly. A 1.8 lens would be better, right?

Forget everything I said about equipment. At any rate, I hadn't used the camera much until last week when the flowers started to bloom again (yes, in February - only in Texas!). I used the Oly m.Zuiko (all my lenses are m.Zuiko) 12-50mm which has a macro mode and shoots at 43mm which is 86mm in full frame.

P2260270_zpspnmrqcyr.jpg

P2250256_zpsw8iu1cym.jpg

P2260285_zps4r0p7mgc.jpg

P2260291_zps75q7cpr1.jpg

I have acquired 3 prime lenses now: 17, 25 and 45mm which is the same as 34, 50 and 90mm on a full frame camera. Also just received a Yongnuo YN560 IV flash, a 24"x24" soft box and stand and picked up some Cactus 5V wireless transmitter / receivers for the flash. Seems like I should build a studio soon. I like shooting in Aperture priority most of the time.

Dave,

I drove through Coupland going to/from Rusty's place this past weekend. On the South side of the North 277 Loop at either N. Austin St or N. Broad St, there was a lot full of funky granite stones in all manner of shapes and sizes. What's up with that? I was thinking it might make an interesting spot to spend a few hours taking pics.

Sounds like it may turn into more than just a hobby.

Yeah, well, with my back the way it is I haven't ridden since mid-November so been off the bikes for 3 1/2 months now. Not sure when I'll get back on. Gotta find other things to keep me busy. I blame Tom, Scott & Rusty for the most part for my unhealthy interest in improving my photographic skills. The guys at Rusty's last Saturday didn't help. There's also you and Jennifer. Tim Hutcherson (R.I.P.) was a good influence too but he passed away a year ago last month. I used to be into Ham radio, that can get expensive too. Not doing that anymore.

Dave,

I drove through Coupland going to/from Rusty's place this past weekend. On the South side of the North 277 Loop at either N. Austin St or N. Broad St, there was a lot full of funky granite stones in all manner of shapes and sizes. What's up with that? I was thinking it might make an interesting spot to spend a few hours taking pics.

Yes there's an artist that lives there, his name is Jim Huntington. He moved from NYC and settled in Coupland in the mid-90's. I've never been to see his sculptures (or artwork) but hear he's a nice guy.

Thanks Robb.

We have 7 acres and a lot of it is "natural". The flowers are really starting to bloom.

I caught this guy in our front yard, I labeled the pic "Come Prey With Me" as it appears he's waiting for a meal to fly in.

P3080342_zpsu3ty5g6e.jpg

I had originally cropped this next pic but decided to leave it whole. As you can see on the left there's another bug flying out of focus.

P3080351_zpsxlh9jxlg.jpg

Here's a lady bug on a bluebonnet flower taken today in our back yard.

Oly 12-40mm 2.8 PRO lens
40mm
f/8
ISO 400
1/80 sec
Aperture priority
"Cloudy" white balance (this is a JPEG not RAW file)

P3110370_zpsbfhxrqcp.jpg

Thanks Scott. Wait, did I already say that?

I need to get a better macro lens. Actually don't need to just want one.

Photography is a good creative outlet for me. Not that my job is stressful, it could be worse. Would like to dedicate more time to it.

Stumbled across this thread again. I recently upgraded to the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III. Bought it used so saved a few hundred dollars but it's practicality new. Have some lens additions also.

Wife and I are headed to the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland mid-June. We're traveling light with just carry on.

Still have the EM-10 though I'll probably sell it. After our most recent move, I found the old Sony dSLR still in the bubble wrap that Precision Camera did when I took it there for cleaning! I thought I lost it.

At any rate, since I'm not getting a motorcycle anytime soon, photography will once again be a hobby, I think.

I got a little sad seeing John's responses here, still miss him. We went to COTA once to photograph vintage sports cars, had a blast.

Stumbled across this thread again. Wife and I are headed to the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland mid-June. We're traveling light with just carry on
I got a little sad seeing John's responses here, still miss him. We went to COTA once to photograph vintage sports cars, had a blast.
Yeah, me too for stumbling on this thread and seeing John pop up. He was a great friend to many of us for sure.

I had to chuckle on the Ireland/Scotland comment and "We're traveling light with just carry on". Isn't Ireland or Scotland where the phrase Keep Calm and Carry On came from? Could have been England? But it made me laugh whatever the origin. Thx for that one. :-)

Back