• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Olympus TG-5 Adventure Camera - Got one?

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
:tab So I finally need to replace my trusty old Canon Elph D600 because it is about 13 years old and has been through a pretty rough life. It is so old, the biggest SD card it can handle is 2GB. Good luck finding those nowadays. It took a lot of abuse and always took great pics and video. But the dings, drops, and dust have finally caught up with it.

:tab I have been looking at cameras that are more ruggedized and better able to handle conditions encountered on an adventure ride. Thus far, the top contender seems to be the Olympus TG-5,

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/compact/tg5/spec.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711C1R4X/?tag=twowhetex-20

Things I like in no particular order:

It shoots in RAW and JPG, both at once if desired
It shoots decent video
It can handle BIG SD cards, up to 512 GB!! (good for RAW and vids)
It goes from 25-100mm at F2.0-4.9
Shutter speeds from 4" to 1/2000
Aperture Priority
ISO from 100 to 12800
Good size so it will fit in a pocket
Good macro capability, which I like because I am a nerd
Has WiFi for sharing images to phone
Water, dust, temp, and shock "proof" (it's all relative...)
Best battery life in class according to reviews (likely a result of the lower res rear screen?)

Things I wish it had but doesn't:
Full manual exposure control
Shutter priority
912K dots instead of 460K for rear screen (which is still better than my D600).

:tab So does anyone out there have one of these that they have been using on rides/trips? Do you like it? Do you hate it? Is there a different camera you wish you had bought instead?

Google Pentax WG-3 w/GPS. I have one which I used once, basically NIB (with the box. The reason it was used only once had nothing to do with this camera, I got a Canon G15 at the same time and got used to using that.

i-WD85KHv-M.jpg

I don't know if it'll meet all the specs you listed, but it is one of the most rugged cameras out there. I had two models of it.

Let me know via PM is you're interested

Last edited:
:tab So I finally need to replace my trusty old Canon Elph D600 because it is about 13 years old and has been through a pretty rough life. It is so old, the biggest SD card it can handle is 2GB. Good luck finding those nowadays. It took a lot of abuse and always took great pics and video. But the dings, drops, and dust have finally caught up with it.

:tab I have been looking at cameras that are more ruggedized and better able to handle conditions encountered on an adventure ride. Thus far, the top contender seems to be the Olympus TG-5,

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/compact/tg5/spec.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711C1R4X/?tag=twowhetex-20

Things I like in no particular order:

It shoots in RAW and JPG, both at once if desired
It shoots decent video
It can handle BIG SD cards, up to 512 GB!! (good for RAW and vids)
It goes from 25-100mm at F2.0-4.9
Shutter speeds from 4" to 1/2000
Aperture Priority
ISO from 100 to 12800
Good size so it will fit in a pocket
Good macro capability, which I like because I am a nerd
Has WiFi for sharing images to phone
Water, dust, temp, and shock "proof" (it's all relative...)
Best battery life in class according to reviews (likely a result of the lower res rear screen?)

Things I wish it had but doesn't:
Full manual exposure control
Shutter priority
912K dots instead of 460K for rear screen (which is still better than my D600).

:tab So does anyone out there have one of these that they have been using on rides/trips? Do you like it? Do you hate it? Is there a different camera you wish you had bought instead?

A friend at work just picked one up for a trip to Florida. He's excited about the waterproofness, RAW and macro. But he doesn't leave for two more weeks and will be gone two weeks. So I won't get a report from him for almost a month.

Google Pentax WG-3 w/GPS. I have one which I used once, basically NIB (with the box. The reason it was used only once had nothing to do with this camera, I got a Canon G15 at the same time and got used to using that.

i-WD85KHv-M.jpg

I don't know if it'll meet all the specs you listed, but it is one of the most rugged cameras out there. I had two models of it.

Let me know via PM is you're interested

I'll look it up tomorrow and check it out.

Back