• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

? on Ranch Roads in West TX

TNC

Reaction score
KsTeveM's last trip to the backroads out west in the area around Comstock, north of Del Rio, south of Sonora, etc. got me to planning a ride out there. Using my Texas Gazetteer, Google Maps, and Google sat views, I have a question about all these ranch roads listed...and I guess it applies to the many other ranch roads in TX. The Gazetteer is very detailed on the names and such of all these major ranch roads. And obviously many are also listed as open-to-the-public county and FM roads.

My question is how does one tell which ones...specifically the Gazetteer listed ones...are open or semi-open to public traffic? I know that some ranch roads are open because they are developed and maintained by country tax dollars. I also know that surely some are not. I can occasionally see a gate in a few Google sat views, but I also know some of those in TX are still open to public traffic and just require one to close the gate...many maybe most using cattleguards in such cases.

I see most of these ranch roads listed on the Gazetteer dead end at the ranch...I assume. I can understand a county maintained road ending at the main ranch property entrance but still allowing public traffic on that maintained road up until that point...an in-and-out type of deal. So...how does one confirm public access on publicly maintained roads vs. wholly private roads? And yes, I know some ranchers/farmers will try to appropriate public access roads once in awhile, just because. Do the specific counties have maps/info on their specific roads that are open to the public, or is there a better source for these kinds of roads? Just want to know to be able to do as much preplanning as possible without wasting a lot of time "prospecting" the area where public and private dirt roads may exist.

I figure skinny, KsTeveM, and others would have poked around on this kind of info.

Edit my own post: OK right after I typed this I saw the reference to the TxDot sectionals in the "Round the Bend 2021" thread. I knew this existed but wasn't aware it covered roads that were county and lower. I thought it was only state and federal roads...FM's, state Hwy's, interstates, etc. After reviewing that I believe it answers all my questions.

However, for those of you who have used them extensively, please add any comments about oddities or other issues you have experienced with them. It appears that quite a few of those "ranch roads" on the Gazetteer are open to public traffic even if they do dead end at a specific ranch. Out and backs on some of those look interesting.

Be ready to see lots of locked gates .
So, you're recommending I bring my battery powered Dewalt cutting wheel? :duck:

But seriously, I guess they're locking gates on what is basically a public road?...and please, I'm not saying that to be hateful or argumentative. Your observation is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Ever heard any good stories or pushback from people on those roads? Just asking, not suggesting.:ponder:

Dont like DeLorme Gazzetter...lots of roads shown but not differentiated between public & private...hard to read

Benchmark Tx Road & Recreation Atlas or a Roads of Texas Atlas is much better

Texas is not a place to wonder without knowing where you are, 96% private and land owners tend to keep it that way. Lots of public lands surround our great state.

Texas is not a place to wonder without knowing where you are, 96% private and land owners tend to keep it that way. Lots of public lands surround our great state.
Tom, I appreciate your advice, but there's nothing wrong with asking questions, gaining knowledge, and taking advantage of the legal and public roads and riding places we have in this state. I was born and raised here, so I'm not totally ignorant of some of the nuances of our state. As to riding on the public lands in other states, I've done plenty of that and still do. I've also done it enough decades to know like most on this site do that it's a decently long haul to get to a lot of those locations in other states.

What I'm getting at here is the opportunities we do have to take some shorter trips and rides in our immediate areas so we can ride something more interesting more frequently. Your comment, "without knowing where you are" is a little presumptive. As far as the spot on a map, I have little trouble knowing that. I'm guessing you may be suggesting something more like knowing whether one is on a road that one has the legal right to be on. Well...that's kind of the point as to why I'm researching this issue.

I live in the country. I'm not even coming close to suggesting anyone goes willy-nilly on the property of others. That's why I want to know the legal issues of what is and what is not open to public traffic. Surely you didn't assume my Dewalt cutting wheel comment was anything other than a joke.

Mr2mch, thanks for that advice about those two resources. I will check them out. I haven't had much problem using the Gazetteer in other states, but this ranch road deal in Texas has more complexity. Now that I understand the TxDot sectionals and have been perusing them this evening, I get a better picture of what's apparently legal. And yes, I understand how a rancher or farmer might still have a locked gate on what still might be a legal public road, but that's almost another can of worms.

I rode several of those roads in west Texas that are shown on the gazetteer maps , I did come to a locked gate on more than one occasion I also met a few pissed off land owners . Confronting one is not a good idea because land owners in that part of the country have been there a long time and are probly related to or really good friends with county officials . You will never win in a confrontation . After a few years I learned to stay on the well traveled roads , it’s much easier . Now I ride in states with public land . Much more enjoyable . People there actually welcome you unless your a total jerk and destroy stuff .

I rode several of those roads in west Texas that are shown on the gazetteer maps , I did come to a locked gate on more than one occasion I also met a few pissed off land owners . Confronting one is not a good idea because land owners in that part of the country have been there a long time and are probly related to or really good friends with county officials . You will never win in a confrontation . After a few years I learned to stay on the well traveled roads , it’s much easier . Now I ride in states with public land . Much more enjoyable . People there actually welcome you unless your a total jerk and destroy stuff .
No, I'm not looking for confrontation, but just as much as I enjoy riding in UT, NM, AZ, CO, etc., I want to try and enjoy some of the neat backroads we legally have here in TX. My 30+ year career involved a lot of confrontation, and I'm not looking to extend it...LOL! However, I tend to refuse to be run over by people who don't have the right to run over me. Yeah, sounds like a potential "when *******s collide" type of deal, but that's really not what I'm looking for. And yes, I can certainly relate to how local politics and cronyism can work in some places. Still, I think I found my answer in these TxDot sectionals and was glad to learn that they applied to less than state and FM level roads. Good resource.

You'll encounter both locked and unlocked gates. I have opened and ridden thru unlocked gates, but only when really certain it's a public road. Mostly these are bump-gates. A gate that even appears locked stays that way and I find another path.

Basically, it's hard to plan a path thru a section of TX on small roads unless you have first hand knowledge that the road is currently public and passable. If you aren't sure, just try it and have schedule in mind to allow for multi-hour detours.

The most tricky are private roads with no gates. These exist and are usually marked, but not always. I've ridden right up into driveways and other private places - makes me quite uncomfortable but I've personally never had an ugly confrontation - but you'll hear stories of warning shots fired every now and then.

You'll encounter both locked and unlocked gates. I have opened and ridden thru unlocked gates, but only when really certain it's a public road. Mostly these are bump-gates. A gate that even appears locked stays that way and I find another path.

Basically, it's hard to plan a path thru a section of TX on small roads unless you have first hand knowledge that the road is currently public and passable. If you aren't sure, just try it and have schedule in mind to allow for multi-hour detours.

The most tricky are private roads with no gates. These exist and are usually marked, but not always. I've ridden right up into driveways and other private places - makes me quite uncomfortable but I've personally never had an ugly confrontation - but you'll hear stories of warning shots fired every now and then.
Yeah, I'm not necessarily trying to plan through-road trips on these open ranch roads, but while I'm exploring a given area I don't mind doing a legal backroad or ranch road that's an in-and-out if the scenery appears worth it. An example would be that ranch road that's open-to-the-public that heads east off of Casa Piedra Road between the north end of BBRSP and Plata. It's a nice, scenic drive that ends at a gated ranch. I don't have a problem with out-and-backs as long as the scenery is good and I've got the time. In fact I usually always find something I didn't notice going back.

My main focus that brought this up is a lot of the area west of Rocksprings and east of Sheffield and south of I-10 and north of hwy 90. I notice quite a few side ranch roads that appear legal by the TxDot sectionals. Where the scenery looks good I'll check the marked ones out until I hit a gate or see it runs out on the map. I'm getting a little bit of an impression that some think I'm going to just go busting in on people's private land...trust me...I'm not...LOL! I guess I should also share that I don't do trips like a lot and maybe most riders where you're traveling on the bike, making big loops or through rides to make another destination each day. I go to a desired location and camp, sometimes for days, and ride everything that appears to be worth riding. I then move on to another location and rinse and repeat. I say that just to indicate that I don't feel like I'm wasting time compared to a trip where you're making distance from A to B and don't want to hit a dead end or two.

TNC and others, a resource that is not too well known is the official Commissioners' Court adopted County Road Map for each county in Texas. You will have go to the courthouse and ask someone in the County Clerk's office to see the map. Not every county has an adopted map, but most do. You can make copies of the adopted map for your personal use. Even then, you may ride up to gate across the CR due to changes in the status of the road.

TNC and others, a resource that is not too well known is the official Commissioners' Court adopted County Road Map for each county in Texas. You will have go to the courthouse and ask someone in the County Clerk's office to see the map. Not every county has an adopted map, but most do. You can make copies of the adopted map for your personal use. Even then, you may ride up to gate across the CR due to changes in the status of the road.
Thanks for that info. Makes it hard to pre-plan to far away counties, but I'll bet that may the most accurate source of public road info available. If they're grading the roads, they probably have the best up to date info. Again, thanks.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily trying to plan through-road trips on these open ranch roads, but while I'm exploring a given area I don't mind doing a legal backroad or ranch road that's an in-and-out if the scenery appears worth it. An example would be that ranch road that's open-to-the-public that heads east off of Casa Piedra Road between the north end of BBRSP and Plata. It's a nice, scenic drive that ends at a gated ranch. I don't have a problem with out-and-backs as long as the scenery is good and I've got the time. In fact I usually always find something I didn't notice going back.

My main focus that brought this up is a lot of the area west of Rocksprings and east of Sheffield and south of I-10 and north of hwy 90. I notice quite a few side ranch roads that appear legal by the TxDot sectionals. Where the scenery looks good I'll check the marked ones out until I hit a gate or see it runs out on the map. I'm getting a little bit of an impression that some think I'm going to just go busting in on people's private land...trust me...I'm not...LOL! I guess I should also share that I don't do trips like a lot and maybe most riders where you're traveling on the bike, making big loops or through rides to make another destination each day. I go to a desired location and camp, sometimes for days, and ride everything that appears to be worth riding. I then move on to another location and rinse and repeat. I say that just to indicate that I don't feel like I'm wasting time compared to a trip where you're making distance from A to B and don't want to hit a dead end or two.
There is a road from pandale over to FM 349 that was quite enjoyable , pumpville road . Only problum is you’ll need 200 miles of gas out there and that’s cutting it close , also pandale to Langtry . I think there may be one gate a few miles from 349 but it’s been years since I rode out there . A lot of the one lane paved county roads in the hill country are beautiful riding and will go right through a farm yard . Quiet mufflers and go slow and a wave will most always give a return wave if anybody is in the yard . Bullhead road north of campwood has lots of bumpgates but is another really nice ride . So much of the stuff west of the hill country just simply has no services so trying to get anywhere out there is very challenging unless you have 300 mile range , it’s challenging for some bikes on the main roads .

I went a couple miles down the road from the north to BBSP on my 950 KTM years ago , pavment ended a couple miles past the rr tracks , I was headed from Maria to Terlingua and knew it was gated . Sand was kinda being a problum . When I stopped and turned on my gps I realized I had missed the turn off to BBSP so turned around . Also been to the gate from the park side so it’s almost seeing distance between the two turn arounds . One I never got a chance to ride was devils river state park . That’s another that’s so far off the beaten path that you really need to want to see it to do it . I’m past the stage of riding the big bike in stuff like that and my little bike doesn’t have range for it .

Last edited:
Cagiva, no kidding on the fuel issue on some rides. I've done that "ragged edge" deal a few times even on bikes with large fuel tanks. Knowing your bike, its fuel capacity, and even more importantly its fuel mileage under specific conditions kinda matters. But often these are the places where I want to ride because of that very aspect...long distances without services...and therefore few people...LOL!

Despite the things lacking in the good ol' KLR600/650 series, its supertanker fuel capacity served me well quite a few times. I went in at Hite's Crossing with a full tank one year and did a massive mileage ride poking around in all kinds of those areas out to The Maze and other off-shoots...Horseshoe Canyon, the Great Gallery, etc. When I got back to Hanksville I was hitting nearly 300 miles. I was on reserve, but that huge tank got me back. My body was also out of fuel...LOL!...and it's the longest, mostly off pavement ride I've ever done in one day.

I'm not that up for that distance in a day in an off road, non-pavement ride so much anymore, but I still like places where you don't have to jockey for room on the road.:mrgreen:

TNC,

I've used the link below to help plan routes for my back road adventures. I've found google maps to sometimes be out dated as some once county maintained roads have been turned back over to the land owner(s). This is in part due to budget cuts or a land owner has bought out surrounding ranch or farms thus ending the need for "public access."

Type in your county to see how accurate it is.

Yes Dave, this is that TxDot sectional mentioned earlier. I've been studying it in detail, and it seems quite accurate. I did a lengthy ride today over a 3-county area checking to see how good the map was compared to my area. It was spot on. I've also checked known areas I've spent time on, and these maps in the sectionals seem to be good to go...at least as good as anything else for legality.

TNC--sorry I have been out of pocket, doing some riding with my kids. I don't have anything to add, I mostly use Garmin Base Camp and Google Maps/GE....and actual exploring with my nose and/or past experiences. The area you have targeted, I think you are on the right track with the replies. Let me know if you find some hidden gems, I feel like I have tapped that area to the fullest. But I also don't like out and back roads, so I may have limited the fun.

TNC,

I've used the link below to help plan routes for my back road adventures. I've found google maps to sometimes be out dated as some once county maintained roads have been turned back over to the land owner(s). This is in part due to budget cuts or a land owner has bought out surrounding ranch or farms thus ending the need for "public access."

Type in your county to see how accurate it is.

Dave, you are the Dave that a riding buddy of mine and I met down at BBNP one year, correct? If so, did you retire from the FD?

Yeppers, almost 6 years ago. Lovin' every minute of it. Sleep 'til noon and it's always 5 o'clock. Well not really, after waking up at 0400 for over 20 years I can't sleep past 0600 without thinking I'm wasting the day away. However when 5 o'clock does come around I always enjoy a little Tennessee whiskey, especially when camping.

Yeppers, almost 6 years ago. Lovin' every minute of it. Sleep 'til noon and it's always 5 o'clock. Well not really, after waking up at 0400 for over 20 years I can't sleep past 0600 without thinking I'm wasting the day away. However when 5 o'clock does come around I always enjoy a little Tennessee whiskey, especially when camping.
Yep, I agree...not a bad life at all...LOL!...except I do some tequila. :mrgreen:

Select your county.
Download zip file.
Open pdf.
All roads shown are public.
If you want further verification/confirmation then look up and call the TxDOT maintenance office of the county. Theyll tell you which is absolutley public road, even gated ones.
I hope this helps.
Be careful.

Anyone had success with OnX maps in Texas for private vs public road research? My brother uses it for his hunts in NM but 9 times out of 10 your on public land. There while hunting you have to make sure you stay off of tribal land especially with a gun.

Back