• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

One last bike

Reaction score
Thinking about one more motorcycle before I’m done. I sold my VFR a few years ago and I really miss not not having it. Not that I will do much riding but something about having one ready to go is comforting.
Been looking at a KTM 390 Duke, what do y’all think?
Hugh

Sad but inspirational post. I'm sure I'm going to be there and then not to distant future. But it's hard to manually commit to it. I think I'd be someone who would more likely try and fool myself and then just let it happen. If you are at the stage of this being your last bike are you comfortable with the more crouched seating environment? Could you extend your writing if you're in a more upright comfortable position? It seems that adventure bikes set my ideal for us oldil doggies

Excuse anything i post for next few weeks. drugs and lack of sleep.

Not say not relevant but not gone through my normal 2-3 time wash cycle.

Hello Hugh, it’s been a while. The thought of the fastest man I’ve ever ridden with on a KTM 390 is an interesting one. I like it. I’m happy to see you riding again.

A buddy has one and he is always trying to get me to buy one. He had a brain teratoma removed from his brain and the tissue loss messed with his sense of balance. He finds the light weight and lack of hard acceleration, if he happens to mess up on the throttle, helps with his riding.

Last edited:
I think you could do a lot worse than a 390 Duke for sure. I only rode the 390 Adventure a little lately but thought it was a tremendous value.

Hugh, it's nice to see your post. You and I shared a Shiner Bock or 5 quite a few years back in the parking lot of Swiss Village Inn. I'll never forget seeing you ride that rowdy KTM. Astonishing skill. Was that thing even street legal? :lol2:

A 390 Duke would be a fine choice. :thumb:

I know he left some peg feelers from a yellow vfr buried in the pavement in Arkansas.Enjoyed watching your tail lights get small.Get the Duke

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I’ll post if i do buy anything 😎
PS: Arkansas trips were the best:)

Been looking at a KTM 390 Duke, what do y’all think?
I'm a big fan of the KTM 390 platform. I had the Duke for a while and really enjoyed it. The only reason I sold it is that I thought I needed more power for trackdays. But just for an around town bike, its a lot of fun. The ergos are a bit more comfortable on than bike that other naked type bikes I've ridden.

Now I have the 390 Adventure and ride that more than my Tiger 900 lately. It does a great job with that "ride a slow bike fast" kinda thing. You can wring it out and not be doing 130 mph, which I dig. I have a thread going on the 390 Adventure that you might find interesting about the motor characteristics:

Last edited by a moderator:
My son put 8K miles on a 390 Duke over a couple years of college. Was a fantastic little bike for him.

He took it on a few family rides and did a 1000 mile 3 day weekend with us doing 300 miles a day and it was pretty impressive.

No, it's not super comfortable for long days and top speed is about 100, but it was suprisingly competent for a weekend tour.

Good to see you again Hugh! I thought we had permanently lost you to grand kids and fishing :-P

Those Arkansas trips seem like so long ago! They were great fun.

I captured your good sides... :-P
DSC04377.JPG

The peg dragging hole in the pant knee incident :shock:
Mtn Home 030.jpg

Mtn Home 032.jpg

Mtn Home 036.jpg

Congrats. It's a fun little bike. Hope you wind it out and enjoy it.

Excellent choice! I would own a Duke 390 if I was taller.

Been thinking of trimming down to one Italian lady myself. We will see.

Now that I have a new bike I’ll need some new gear. First on the list is a helmet with communication. Surely there have been electronic advances in the last 15 years. What mic works the best for cell phones? Any suggestions?

My textile jacket and pants have seen better days and my old track day leathers look like a “Power Ranger” costume. Any places in the Houston area y’all recommend?
Hugh

First on the list is a helmet with communication.
Check into the Shoei GT Air 2, the Sena SRL 2 comms can be integrated into it (I have it and love it). I believe the Shoei Neotec 2 uses the same Sena system too, am not sure if there are others. Congrats on the new bike, it looks like great fun is ahead! The GT flows a lot of air so as a byproduct is not the quietest, but it keeps my cranium cool. I wear plugs, and the noise isnt that loud even without them. Just my 2c.

Back