• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

oopsie

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Seery
It was a beautiful day and I’d already sat on my duff and read a bunch of pretty much useless info on the interweb while hoping something would come up with something to do. Nothing happened so I jumped on the bike and off I went. No particular destination in mind, just knew I had to be in Alvarado by 1900. No worries it was 1600 as I fired up the Viffer.
Weather was a perfect slightly over cast, but still plenty bright day. Viffer was running great and the new tires were feeling great. Tunes rolling the helmet couldn’t have matched the mood of the ride any better. Smooth and rolling along nicely. Really just one of those perfect rides. Great for clearing the head even when your not actively thinking about anything while riding.
Having no destination in mind, I was turning at random on any road that looked decent. Ran down a road (don’t recall the number) and the neighborhood bull was just standing there watching me. Naturally I stopped and took a pic.
IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

Knowing FM51 has been a haven for crashing sport bikers, I turned off on FM205 and wound my way past Dinosaur Valley State Park and wound up turning down CR1005 (I’m pretty sure that’s the number) and paused at a low water crossing to walk across it and take a few pics.
IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

After my walk across the water, I decided it was ok, and thought I’d ride across and continue my random explorations. Well, the path I walked and the path I rode were apparently different as I found a slick spot with the bike. Back end decided to take a different path then the front and down she went. No worries I was going a like 2mph at the time. I’ll just pick it up and ride on.
DOH! The last 3” of the clutch lever decided to snap off. :argh: well, I can still ride it home no worries.
The kind lady standing there watching me do all this informed me that those low water crossings were slick. Where is Bill Engval when you need him? :giveup:
So I get it out of the one-lane water crossing and look the bike over closer to see what damage was done.
IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Only to discover that its quite nearly pouring oil out of the top of the oil cooler. Seems the drop moved the headlight enough to puncture the oil cooler. Double check the oil and thought I’d ride it back to at least Glenrose.
About the time I got to DVSP it was clear that the bike had other plans. Too much oil was blowing out for me to continue riding. I parked across FM205 from DVSP and called HRCA.
The lady on the phone was having trouble with her computer (aren’t they always? :scratch: ) and I wound up spending nearly 15min trying to get a tow setup. In the end they dispatched Don’s Towing from Granbury saying it would be 2hrs before they could make it out.
As I’m sitting there on the side of the road staring at the sky, The game warden pulls out of DVSP and comes over to check on me. I explain it, he oogles the bike and drives away. A little while later, a car pulls up to ask if I’m ok. I inform them that I’ve already got a tow setup and am just waiting for them to arrive. They turn around and then stop and ask me if I have what I think was drugs. :eek: I had the camera in hand, I shoulda snapped a pic of their plate :doh:

As time goes on, there’s no less then 6 cars pull out of DVSP full of folks that I know. Most all of them stopped to check or at the very least wave.

Laying there staring at the sky I had this random inspiration hit and snapped this shot:
IMG_0145.jpg

I don’t know, maybe the bugs were getting at my brain :wary:

Low and behold I hear a bike riding down the road and what should I see appear but a red VStrom blur piloted by a man in a Tecknic jacket. I say to myself “self, is that Bill?” soon enough I find out as he’s back and it was indeed our very own Bill (Graubert) out testing his new Laminar lip. Bill proceeded to wait with me till the tow truck shows up. I am here to tell you that talking to another person is much more fun then talking to yourself! :lol:

As Bill and I were standing there, there was a gaggle of sport bikes that went by. The last of which was a familiar looking black bike piloted by a pink-helmeted rider. Bill and I both asked if that was Melanie (Vitto) Turns out we were right!

The tow truck shows up and the first thing out of his mouth is “I’m going to have to get you to sign a waver as I ain’t equipped to haul bikes.” :doh: well, I guess I don’t really have any other options. Sign the waver and load the bike up. Took a bit, but got his straps around the lower fork clamps and get it strapped down. I’m not super happy with it, but it beats pushing the thing all the way home.
IMG_0146.jpg

Its really a sad sight :tears:

Got her home and into the garage. I’ll tear it apart and figure out exactly what I need to get it going again.

A big thanks to Bill for hanging with me while the tow truck took forever to show up. :clap:

Needless to say, I missed my Alvarado meet at 1900. Oh well, sometimes things happen.

Well, rats, Nathan. :-(

I was back home from Huntsville by 1900 and I made several stops. You should have gone on the Pie Run (no water crossings)...

Ooh...poor bike :( Glad you came out unscathed :) :thumb: Makes me want to never try another water crossing... :brainsnap

That sucks & sends chills down my spine. At least you are OK. The ride can be fixed for small nominal fee.

About time we, the dominant species on this planet, think we have everything under control, nature proves us wrong using a very small organism, algae. Maybe, if you don't have the right traction pattern tires, you need to go fast on those crossings to build up the gyrospopic balance forces of the rotating wheels?

I'm glad that you and the bike made it home in one piece. I wasn't too excited about the tow setup either. I wish I had a bike trailer to help out in these situations.

I'm thinking a complaint to HRCA is in order. Rhetorical question.....do they just call the nearest tow truck that's available or do they actually have a list of tow outfits already signed up? If they have a list, they need to make sure that the guys are actually set up to haul motorcycles. :roll:

I guess I need to go ahead and buy that bike trailer.:lol2:

I'm thinking a complaint to HRCA is in order. Rhetorical question.....do they just call the nearest tow truck that's available or do they actually have a list of tow outfits already signed up? If they have a list, they need to make sure that the guys are actually set up to haul motorcycles. :roll:
Their web site says nothing about motorcycle-specific towing vehicles, just that they will come and get you.

Ron Ayers is saying the oil cooler is $151 :eek:

I need to call HRCA today and ask about that. The tow guy did fine, but there's no reason for them to be on the list if they aren't setup to haul bikes.
Another gripe I have is HRCA only covers the first $50. After that its up to you. Last time I checked most tow trucks don't even move for less then $60 :argh:
RocketBunny mentioned the KOA plan, don't recall the specifics, but I'm certainly going to check them out.

There's quite a few things I should have done different. Go to AR being the first. and if I didn't do that I should have done the pie run. and if I didn't do that, I should have taken that nap I was thinking about before I left for the ride!
Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20 :)

Typically, tow trucks are on a "rotation list" where they get listed with the SO or local agency, and get called out when they are at the top of the list.
When they get the call from the PD or sheriff's office, they go the bottom and the next guy gets bumped to the top to await the call for service and so on.

I don't know if they have to meet certain criteria such as being able to haul bikes who are not crash damaged, but just suffered a mechanical breakdown such as Nathan had. (obviously not in this case)

It would be good if there was a way to get the law enforcement agency to have the wrecker services list if they are "motorcycle freindly" in that they need to have the ability to carry the bike in a safe manner instead of just coming out to collect the bashed up bits and throw them in a pile on the back of a flatbed after an accident.

That might be a question to ask if we are ever in the same unfortunate situation as Nathan.

When I had to have my bike towed in New Mexico, the driver was just kinda staring at it trying to figure out how to tie it down. I just jumped up on the bed and asked for his straps and did it myself...

I was then charged 80 bux to get back into town...a whopping 7 miles...If my bike didnt weigh 800lbs, I probably would of pushed it for that kinda cash...

I did strap the bike down myself. The driver handed me the straps and I attached them. From the sounds of it, he knew how to handle a bike, but seeing as I was willing and able to do it, he let me do it.

The driver mentioned that he wished his company would purchase the setup to tow bikes as they tow at least 10 per month.

There's quite a few things I should have done different. Go to AR being the first. and if I didn't do that I should have done the pie run. and if I didn't do that, I should have taken that nap I was thinking about before I left for the ride!
Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20 :)
That sucks Nathan...

I know what you mean about "what I should have done", I had a hard time sleeping the night before we went on the museum ride and had a dream of me laying in a wet road. The same jacket, trees, everything. I though about backing out, but since I was the one who set up the ride I felt that I had to go. I have not ridden before when I had an uneasy feeling and should have paid attention to it again.

After it started raining a few miles into the ride I thought about it again but thought the drizzle/rain would burn off like it did last time. Needless to say, that wasn't the case, I did find myself laying in a wet road. I was lucky it was only a 20-25 mph drop and I was able to ride it home without a problem. Mechanically mine was fine, it looks pretty sad with the plastic and front end off the bike. I ordered most of the new bodywork yesterday, $1,300 and a few weeks later I should have it back on the road. I also pulled the forks off and are having them reworked.

Nathan, sorry about the fall. I can relate. If you need a good body repair place, I can recommend the place that fixed my Duc. They are in California.
Rick

Nathan, sorry about the fall. I can relate. If you need a good body repair place, I can recommend the place that fixed my Duc. They are in California.
Rick
Ouch Scott, nothing worse then going down twice in the same spot/area! :giveup:

Rick, Thanks, I'll handle the paint work myself. Still have some paint left over from when I changed it to blue. I'm pretty sure its still around...
I'll probably get the oil cooler and leave the rest for the time being. I hate it looking like that, but I'm pretty busy right now so it'll just have to wait a spell :tears:

Dude, you should really have some TWTer's phone numbers on your cell or something....John and I coulda came and got ya, we were just being bums all day ;-)

eight one seven 925 two five one four

Should you find yourself in that predicament again, call that number first. The mafia takes care of its own.

Gilk51 said:
It will look more like a track bike that way... :roll:
yup, thats the look I was going for :doh:
Well, I didn't know that was the spot in my dream as I had never been on that road before.
oops, misunderstood. that is pretty weird. :eek:

Dude, you should really have some TWTer's phone numbers on your cell or something....John and I coulda came and got ya, we were just being bums all day ;-)

eight one seven 925 two five one four

Should you find yourself in that predicament again, call that number first. The mafia takes care of its own.
Thanks guys. The only TWTer's number I had was Bills, and he was pretty busy being busted up himself.
I've added y'all to the phone book.

eight won seben quattro sinco six fiver ate ate uno
The reverse is true, I'd be happy and honored to help anyone

Hrm...couldn't have been the Michelins could it?:-P

About the cooler, you can "try" and see if a local radiatr shop can weld it up. I did it once with the XX. Local shop shop of FTW on I35...can't remember the name. Held up for me until the bike was stolen away...

Hrm...couldn't have been the Michelins could it?:-P

About the cooler, you can "try" and see if a local radiatr shop can weld it up. I did it once with the XX. Local shop shop of FTW on I35...can't remember the name. Held up for me until the bike was stolen away...
Not Michelin's. Brand new (<200mi) Avon Storms. Don't think it would have made much difference what tire I was using.

Thats a good point. I'll have to take it apart and see what I see. I know its pouring oil out of it right now :giveup:

Sorry Nathan!

Look on the bright side......
.......You have other bikes to ride! (Bill doesn't)
.......You're in one piece! (Bill is but he hurts more)
.......Everybody loves you!

What more do you need?

Sorry Nathan!

Look on the bright side......
.......You have other bikes to ride! (Bill doesn't)
.......You're in one piece! (Bill is but he hurts more)
.......Everybody loves you!

What more do you need?
no question about it, my day was FAR better then Bills.
While frustrating, its just a machine. Easily repaired and back on the road.

no question about it, my day was FAR better then Bills.
While frustrating, its just a machine. Easily repaired and back on the road.

I am glad you didn't get hurt like Tony did in his water crossing fall. The VFR would have been real heavy to pick up if you were injured.

And remember, never send a VFR to do the work of a KLR!:trust:

:eek2: Oh no, Nathan!

I am glad you are okay. I am sorry for the pretty bike.

Makes me want to never try another water crossing... :brainsnap

+1! Not that I ever tried one but now it is sure that it'll never happen. At least not on the VFR.

Back