• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Opinions of the Bell photochromic shield?

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Anyone have a Bell helmet with the photochromic shield (their auto tint shield)?
Looking at a Bell Qualifier DLX MIPS helmet from Cyclegear that comes with it included and seems to be something I would like.

bell_qualifier_dlxmips_illusion_helmet_750x750.jpg

For my current LS2 Strobe, I have a mirrored shield and a clear shield.
In the summer I can get by with the mirrored shield all the time (minimal if any night riding), but this time of year, some mornings the sun is up and need a dark shield, but but when I go home, it is dark, so need a clear shield. It does have an internal drop down tinted shield, but it is not very dark and it gives a slightly skewed view, so don't really care to rely on that for bright day riding.
I can swap shields in 2-3 minutes, but don't want to have to carry the spare with me and risk damage and such, so an auto tinting shield seems to be more what I need.

I also am not happy with the wind noise on the LS2, but it is a modular so I know those can be loud, and the airflow is poor at best.
The Qualifier seems to have decent reviews on noise and airflow.
I am not super crazy about a regular full face helmet, but don't have the money for something like a KLIM if I want modular, transisition shield and quiet (although I have heard mixed reviews on the TK1200).

Last edited:
I have a Bell full face helmet for track days. It has a transition visor on it. Not sure if that is the same thing or not, but it works great. I never notice it change and always have good visibility with it.

It looks like this when it changes. I'm in the middle:

1606321842166.png

I have it on my ADV helmet. It works pretty well but it doesn't get as dark as a separate dark tinted visor or sunglasses.

For me, it's dark enough, but others I know need it darker and would still need sun glasses.

If I was guessing, I'd say it is about 60% as dark as a separate visor.

I had a helmet with an internal flip-down visor, separate from the large visor. It was very convenient especially as an eyeglass wearer that doesn't have easy options for sunglasses. The internal visor could also be switched out for a light or dark tint.

I do prefer my Neotec 2 with the flip down inner visor. So I can control when it gets darker.

I have a Bell full face helmet for track days. It has a transition visor on it. Not sure if that is the same thing or not, but it works great. I never notice it change and always have good visibility with it.
All of Bell's shields are the same type of material, so it would be the same.
I have it on my ADV helmet. It works pretty well but it doesn't get as dark as a separate dark tinted visor or sunglasses.
That is part of my concern, that it is not dark enough. The helmet I am looking at does not have an internal visor, so am a bit concerned about that.
My current Mirrored visor is very dark, and I really like that on clear sunny days or when riding into the sun.
I do prefer my Neotec 2 with the flip down inner visor. So I can control when it gets darker.
The Neotec is a nice helmet from what I have read, but is pricy (I know, what is your head worth).

Another thing is the Bell is a d-ring, but I really like the ratchet style of the LS2 over that.
Not 100% that I will be getting the DLX, but it is on sale for $100 off right now for $179 (the transisition shield alone is like $140), so that is why I am tempted to get it right now.

I have 2 Bell DLX helmets with that shield. I really like them. As stated, I would prefer that they get a little darker in bright sunshine but I'm used to it. I really like that I don't have to worry about changing shields for day or night, overcast or sunny, etc. At this point I can't imagine using any other type of shield.

All of Bell's shields are the same type of material, so it would be the same.
That is part of my concern, that it is not dark enough. The helmet I am looking at does not have an internal visor, so am a bit concerned about that.
My current Mirrored visor is very dark, and I really like that on clear sunny days or when riding into the sun.

The Neotec is a nice helmet from what I have read, but is pricy (I know, what is your head worth).

Another thing is the Bell is a d-ring, but I really like the ratchet style of the LS2 over that.
Not 100% that I will be getting the DLX, but it is on sale for $100 off right now for $179 (the transisition shield alone is like $140), so that is why I am tempted to get it right now.
I think here is an HJC Alpha90 or something that has the same features at a significantly lower price. It just didn't fit my head as well as the Shoei did.

1606335666261.png

My wife and I have Bell Helmets with the transitions screen. We have very limited use so far but I would agree that the dark isn't that dark. I'm hoping the comprise is worth it to not have to carry 2 shields because we get caught after dark frequently.

I did have a Scorpion AT915 helmet that had the flip up chin bar and slide down sunshade. That sunshade wasn't that dark either. It was a nice helmet but it was heavier and I really never used the flip-up feature. It was too heavy and wobbly when up for me.

I have a Bell Qualifier DLX Blackout, it's actually the one in my avatar.

The included tinted visor is dark enough for me. The only time I've had issues is when the sun is directly in my face.

i have the same experience with the shield not being that dark in full sunlight.

One other thing with my Bell was the model I have (cant remember the name but about $200 on STG) came with cutouts for a headset. These left some voids around the ears with unfinished sharp foam edges that really rubbed and bothered me after an hour.

Since I dont use a communicator, I removed the liner, smoothed out the sharp edges and cut some foam scrap i had to fill the voids. It feels better now but none of the online reviewers mentioned anything about it.

Haven't tried the Bell, but do have one on my Shoei RF-SR. I went from the GT-Air with the internal flip down to RF-SR with the photodramatic shield. As others have said, if you want the darkest blacked out face shield the transitions/protint won't do that. With the GT-Air I always felt the flip down visor blocked the chin vent when down and top vents when up.

I'd like to grab the protint shield for my Bell MX-9 Adventure, but it's really hard to justify a $150 face shield on a $200 helmet. I would have gotten the helmet with the DLX option if they offed it, but I couldn't find one for the MX-9.

Well, since I got my gub'ment money yesterday, I decided to help stimulate the economy by buying it.
Should be here Monday or Tuesday Thursday or Friday.

Last edited:
Well, just to update. I got the helmet last week and have done some riding with it.

So far, seems everyone was right, it is not real dark, but so far, seems dark enough unless the sun is right in my eyes.
It is quieter than my old helmet (not silent by any means, but quieter than the modular), and seems to have better airflow (too cold to keep the vents open, but when playing with it while riding, I can tell there is more flow).
I am still not crazy about the d-ring, and the strap is a little further back than my LS2 (more on my neck than chin), so that is taking some getting used to.
It is a lighter helmet, but I can't really tell so far (only been on a 1 hour ride, but never really had an issue with helmet weight even on 4-5 hour rides).
I do find I keep wanting to lift up the faceshield like a modular (never realized how much I did that).
I am also suprised how well the shield is against fogging, even with no pin-lock.

It is doing what I want though, letting me not have to change shields all the time.
I rode to work at 11 am today, and rode home in the dark, and not having to worry about having a dark shield on was nice.
I do think that if I am going for a day ride in bright sunlight, I may still use my old helmet with the mirrored shield, but the Bell will probably be my daily helmet.

Also, thought it was funny when I brought my daughter for a ride yesterday she said it was weird seeing a different helmet in front of her.

Back