• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

OsmAnd users

Your Samsung tablet is a quality tablet, I bet it has a gps module already.

I been using my 2013 ,7 inch Nexus tablet with G. maps as a navigation device and works well. Google Maps is just about the best navigation out there in my opinion

Good news looks like it is GPS equipped. Wiki... It has GPS and a GLONASS receiver.

Optional...Now you just need to figure out your choice of how you want to feed it for mobile internet

Ps, I suggest that you reset your device and start fresh. Load up your Google account and download Google Maps if needed. That way there will not be any excess app software on the device. You will be using it as a dedicated navigation so there's really no need to have any other junk apps on it

My understanding was that the external GPS unit would be supplying the location so you wouldn't need internet connection. You would just need to download offline maps before you get away from wifi. Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. As long as it's easier to use on the bike I'll use it. So far I have'nt had the need to look up an address while riding out in the boonies....lol
Are you familiar witt TomTom?
RayRay... both my 10"and 7" tablets seem to know exactly where they are when I'm traveling here and abroad. Not sure why I would need one of those. Enlighten me...

Co Pilot will find addresses and give turn by turn directions. I use it for street and Osmand for tracks, GPX files.

I use osm, copilot, google maps and Waze on the same phone. Excellent tools for different jobs.

Copilot is my go to for on the fly route planning. Osm to record tracks.

My understanding was that the external GPS unit would be supplying the location so you wouldn't need internet connection. You would just need to download offline maps before you get away from wifi. Am I wrong?

Yes correct

Fire tablet has no on board gps module...thus the use of the bluetooth connect gps module

Mobile internet not needed for those nav apps with stored map data.

Optional if you want to add mobil internet via wifi. Apparently its needed for house number address.

Looks like tom tom go Android app allows direct input house addresses but charges 20/year or 45 /3 yrs driving view nav access. Theres always a catch

Really? No thanks...
Check this one out. It's really Google Maps "like". It took my 101 Bowie Street example and plotted a route to it however it looked like it was an incorrect location. I did another route to a Best Buy address in San Antonio and it got that one correct. This really seems like a good one and cheap the way I like it as in free.

I also tried it with the data shut off to Planet Fitness in Victoria Texas and it was an accurate route

Reactions: my6
I found a new site that a friend shared with me you might find usefull. morethan10.com will let you build a route in Google Maps with 10 stops, copy and paste the url, and then paste another url from the rest of your route to combine them into one map.

Back