• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

OsmAnd users

Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Haywood
Looking for someone that may have intermediate to advanced knowledge working with OsmAnd Maps & Navigation app for droid.

Kman198

LOTS OF FOLKS USE IT, BUT SOME THINGS WITH THIS APP ARE NOT SO INTUITIVE TO ME. SEEMS TO HANDEL .GPX FILES PRETTY GOOD.

I've been using it for about the last year and half. What do you want to know, exactly?

I have a file that contains 12 routes and 12 tracks. I couldn't get OsmAnd to pull them apart. It would only display all 12 routes at a time.

During our TARA monthly meet-and-greet. I found out using Garmin Base Camp, I can separate each of the 12 routes into individual files. Then import the individual files into OsmAnd.

This solved the problem.

I'm looking forward to learning how to save my own maps.

This is what I mean, you really have to want it to finally figure out stuff. Unfortunately all this gps stuff is complicated when doing custom stuff

I've talked to Richard about staging a Basecamp/GPS class some time. Maybe at one of the monthly meetings. Set up a laptop and a projector.

LOTS OF FOLKS USE IT, BUT SOME THINGS WITH THIS APP ARE NOT SO INTUITIVE TO ME. SEEMS TO HANDEL .GPX FILES PRETTY GOOD.
b1aed208c270195fca4d662d0beb1441.jpg

OsmAnd update... I downloaded the maps for our TARA monthly rides and had a chance to use them this Saturday. OsmAnd worked fine for me. It not very user friendly. But after talking with Garmin junkie's, that system isn't that friendly either. If you want it, you got to sit down and figure it out. It's not Google Maps.

OsmAnd update... I downloaded the maps for our TARA monthly rides and had a chance to use them this Saturday. OsmAnd worked fine for me. It not very user friendly. But after talking with Garmin junkie's, that system isn't that friendly either. If you want it, you got to sit down and figure it out. It's not Google Maps.
Navigated for the first time with it today and it worked for me too. Just need to get used to it.

Now, anybody know what map to download for basecamp that has good information for what roads are gravel for planning/creating routes?

I have found with OsmAnd it is best to split the tracks up into separate gpx files if you are going to navigate with it. Otherwise it gets confused and tries to make you follow all the tracks in one ride. There may be a setting I haven't found yet that you can show just one track in a gpx but I haven't figured it out yet. That said, I like using it and always have it as my back up to the gps, especially on a multi day ride. Had my gps short out on the first day of GCDR last year, used the phone with OsmAnd for the whole trip.

I'm using Osmand on my bike via both my 7" Samsung tablet and phone. I'm hoping for the day it becomes more user friendly too.

I saw this video a few days ago.

Looks like an interesting solution. I have an old Samsung Tab4 that my daughter used to use that I am going to try. What do you guys think? The gps unit in this video is $50 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this video a few days ago.

Looks like an interesting solution. I have an old Samsung Tab4 that my daughter used to use that I am going to try. What do you guys think? The gps unit in this video is $50 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your Samsung tablet is a quality tablet, I bet it has a gps module already.

I been using my 2013 ,7 inch Nexus tablet with G. maps as a navigation device and works well. Google Maps is just about the best navigation out there in my opinion

Good news looks like it is GPS equipped. Wiki... It has GPS and a GLONASS receiver.

Optional...Now you just need to figure out your choice of how you want to feed it for mobile internet

Ps, I suggest that you reset your device and start fresh. Load up your Google account and download Google Maps if needed. That way there will not be any excess app software on the device. You will be using it as a dedicated navigation so there's really no need to have any other junk apps on it

Last edited:
Interesting....I got tired of Osmand and loaded Mapfactor Navigator to try out for a while. It does seem to be a good bit more user friendly.

Last edited:
Mapfactor Navigator
Interesting, I will check it out. Osmand has so many settings and features often times it gets in its own way and becomes difficult to use. There is quite a learning curve with Osmand

Indeed Sir. I believe in the old addage....KISS it... Keep It Simple Stupid.

Interesting....I got tired of Osmand and loaded Mapfactor Navigator to try out for a while. It does seem to be a good bit more user friendly.
It looks like it's free but it will not accept house numbers and on top of that they are having a fight with Google data for house numbers data and it is currently not available. It only allows you to navigate using information for certain areas of the street for example , Street intersections and not house numbers. Example if I want to enter 101 Bowie Street San Antonio Texas. Which is the Marriott Rivercenter, it won't allow me to directly enter that. This is a problem that I have with Osmand. It makes direct navigation to a specific location basically useless..
It does say you can use a premium map service from TomTom ( which I would assume includes house number address data) which you can download for $15 Euro whatever that means in US currency. Using TomTom data is still a heck of a lot cheaper than going out and buying a new device that's for sure.

I loaded up my usual bunch of gpx. files and intend to try it out this Sunday. I did pay the $6.60 to get rid of the ads. Wasn't aware of the Address issue. I'm TomTom ignorant too. lol

I loaded up my usual bunch of gpx. files and intend to try it out this Sunday. I did pay the $6.60 to get rid of the ads. Wasn't aware of the Address issue. I'm TomTom ignorant too. lol
David, maybe I'm wrong but try it yourself . try to input a house number address and see if you can make it work. It does seem very simple and logically organized, if it will load GPX files that is a big win to me.

I just tried. I see what you are talking about.

Back