• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Outdoor mx future

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
"What does everyone think about the future of professional outdoor motocross in America? With growing noise complaints and environmental concerns, land ownership problems, the cost to maintain these facilities, and also the event payout for riders seem to cause a lack of interest in the outdoor circuit. There will be the purists that love the speed, roughness, and intensity of outdoor motocross and I’m one of them but it seems like this sport is moving its focus to supercross. Supercross is getting so commercialized and has created such a large fan base across the United States. The events are televised without purchasing any packages. They hit big cities across the U.S. and fans can see all of the action over the whole track. They’re adding more and more amateur supercross events every year preparing kids for what‘a to come. Riders make more money from supercross. Cooper Webb even said why would he focus so much on motocross when he can make a million a year on supercross alone. I think there will always be motocross tracks for the public to race and ride but will it remain a focus for professional racing?"

I copied this from a Facebook discussion but is interesting. I prefer outdoor. I know at times the bigger stars skip it, I guess the big money is in sx. Olys by time mx rolls around the guys are beat up from sx and recovering.

Outdoors is the core of the sport. It will say around in some fashion or another.

Electric bikes will help grow the sport, despite what us purists say. I'm a two stroke guy, shopping four strokes so I can be more competitive. We gotta embrace some change to keep the sport we love alive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I certainly hope Pro outdoor MX will be with us for a long time to come. I always enjoy walking around and watching from different view points. The supercross tracks are almost all the same and boring and sitting in one place for hours is not my style. The rise of 4 strokes adds to the boredom factor. I miss the smell and the sound of an angry storm of bees that 2-strokes make. Not much you can do on a football field except go back and forth. The old Astrodome tracks were much more interesting.
As a side note, I wish KTM would field a team of riders mounted on a 300sx 2-stroke to spank the open 4-strokers.

I don't know, are 2strokes even allowed in S/X? BTW, good seeing you at Harbor Freight!

Outdoors is the core of the sport. It will say around in some fashion or another.

Electric bikes will help grow the sport, despite what us purists say. I'm a two stroke guy, shopping four strokes so I can be more competitive. We gotta embrace some change to keep the sport we love alive.

I agree on E-bikes, I hope I'm still riding when Honda releases their beauty. I love the sound of our bikes but nonriders don't, this will be a game changer. Same suspension, seamless power, and they are fast! It's a win to me.

But they run out of juice quickly. At least today they do.

But they run out of juice quickly. At least today they do.
That will change, but true today. I think it was Penn State but saw somewhere they are getting close to correcting this! Then it's on.

"Like it or not, Husqvarna Electric Mtn Bikes are coming, from Pierer Mobility. You will not see a 'KTM' bicycle from the Motorcycle group as they don't control the KTM name in Bicycles."

I see an electric bike in my future. Bike,.....not motorcycle.
I truly believe that for the sport to grow we need to get the control of it out of the hands of the few. SX is FELD and MX is basically Davey Coombs. Unless you get into Pro racing most people would never know how Politics OWN and CONTROL the sport. If you buck the system you will be blackballed. Players like Pro Circuit and GEICO control the 250 class and everything that goes with it. They alone have ruined the sport. They get most of the attention and make most of the rules. The 450 class is even more political with the factories doing some really underhanded things. One of my worst experiences being Yamaha and Kieth McCarty. The sport will take your money and chew you up and spit you out for dinner. You can go from hero to zero overnight. A lot of people have tried to give back to the sport but its too difficult. The few don't want to lose control. There are a few success stories like Hewitt and Rockstar Husky but they dam near died and lost everything getting there. I'm not a union guy but the only way to wrestle some control away from these few is just that. Some have tried and guess where they are now?

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Aspear, p

[/QUOTE]

Samuel, why do you feel that you need a 4 stroke to be competitive, you ride very well and I would say in the local TORCS type series your competitors are probably split 50-50 between two and 4 strokes both have good and bad points, I have one of each and each has positives and negatives

If you want to try a 4 stroke on singletrack sometime come up to Zars some saturday or sunday I can bring the XC-F with me.

As far as Electric, I rode the Alta Redshift MX bike and it was a great single track bike, it was eerie ripping down trails only hearing a hum and chain whir as you rode along

[QUOTE="Aspear, p

Samuel, why do you feel that you need a 4 stroke to be competitive, you ride very well and I would say in the local TORCS type series your competitors are probably split 50-50 between two and 4 strokes both have good and bad points, I have one of each and each has positives and negatives

If you want to try a 4 stroke on singletrack sometime come up to Zars some saturday or sunday I can bring the XC-F with me.[/QUOTE]

I've ridden Kirk's 350 and a 250 sx-f, I'm able to go fast easier on the 4 stroke than the 300 in fast single track stuff. Now places like brunes or hf I'd be more comfortable on the 300.

Torcs was a pretty even mix, in 13-29 b, the guy who beat me was on a 2003-2006 cr250 that was very ragged out.

I'm not planning on selling the 300, going to refresh it and use it for enduros and more technical riding. 4 stroke would be the "gncc" type race bike. Plus I can haul both to wherever I'm going and decide which will work better for the location.

If you want to try a 4 stroke on singletrack sometime come up to Zars some saturday or sunday I can bring the XC-F with me.

I've ridden Kirk's 350 and a 250 sx-f, I'm able to go fast easier on the 4 stroke than the 300 in fast single track stuff. Now places like brunes or hf I'd be more comfortable on the 300.

Torcs was a pretty even mix, in 13-29 b, the guy who beat me was on a 2003-2006 cr250 that was very ragged out.

I'm not planning on selling the 300, going to refresh it and use it for enduros and more technical riding. 4 stroke would be the "gncc" type race bike. Plus I can haul both to wherever I'm going and decide which will work better for the location.

[/QUOTE]
Having both is a great option. Whichever seems better on a given day/course.

As far as Electric, I rode the Alta Redshift MX bike and it was a great single track bike, it was eerie ripping down trails only hearing a hum and chain whir as you rode along
We went to SHNF yesterday and a guy showed up on an Alta, he left a couple of minutes before us. Never caught him, lol! Curious how he got back, at a "T" about 40 minutes in I could see by the fresh tracks he went away from trailhead, lol. I was thinking around 1 hour on those you needed to be looking for the truck.

Growing up watching MX, I never felt the love for SX. Whoop whoop turn whoop double-jump turn whoop turn whoop whoop whoop turn jump... it was like watching that old board game Mousetrap. I want to see a course with enough room for two expert riders to wind the bikes out. I was sad to see SX catch on if only because it came at the expense of MX.

As far as the tech goes it won't be long, saying that the time is not already here, when engine management systems and injection will make 2 strokes as clean burning and 'efficient' as 4 strokes. As that happens on a larger scale, the battle for the track between the two will have to be fought all over again.

Back to MX's future, electric bikes may have some promise there. One of the complaints with race tracks is the noise and even rural areas are setting limits. One specific example is the auto track that was set for Washington county that the locals were fighting. There will always be spectators who need the noise to enjoy the show, but we may see more tracks built closer to cities if noise is not a problem. Who knows, some new form of MX competition using machines that are closer to bicycles, powered by electricity on smaller circuits may come about. Then again, that is too close to SX.

Back