• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Overland Expo West - May 17-19 in Flagstaff. Anyone going?

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Cooper
I have an airline credit I need to burn before the end of May. I'd like to go the Overland Expo in Flagstaff. BUT I wont be able to rent a bike. Does anyone have any plans of going?

I haven't decided yet. This is the first show under the new ownership - so it would be interesting to see how it goes.

If the weather cooperates, the west show is always a great time. Plenty to see & do (even without a bike), and some great people to hang out with after hours. The moto-camp is the go-to spot for all the cool kids once the sun goes down.

I went last year for the first time. It is AWESOME! Not certain if I can make this year, but certainly going to big brother OL East in November.

went there last year.. waste of money if you ask me.. cool stuff but way too repetitive. every other booth is about the same.
  1. stuff you in a tight camping space where you hear your neighbor snore all night.
  2. not a lot of moto stuff.
  3. everyone is trying to sell their adventure trailers.. every other booth looks the same.
  4. the moto dinner was a joke. $35 for a beer an $5 tacos.. or what ever..

best part was the ride up and the ride back.. 3 hour walk around and you're done.. I attached my route from last year if anyone is riding out..

I'd suggest make a day of it and plan to do other things.. buying a day pass and camping out on the mogollion rim

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Austin to flagstaff or tucson.gpx
    733.3 KB · Views: 219
I went a couple of years ago and tent camped, brought my Suzuki in the back of the truck. I didn't have a problem around my camp with noisy neighbors. We all got along and shared a campfire, that part was fun. As for the Expo itself it was a waste of time for me. I walked through it once and didn't stop at any of the vendors as I wasn't interested in anything. I did enjoy riding up to Sunset Crater, Wupatki and the cliff dwellings at Walnut Canyon. There's a dirt road I found that took me to Walnut Canyon, that was nice. The loop around Wupatki and Sunset Crater is incredible. I ended up riding my motorcycle every day instead of going to the expo, enjoying lunch in town which was cheaper and better than the food at the expo. The moto camp was busy but I didn't wander over there.

I should add that the weather when I went was spectacular. 70's in the day, 30's at night. I tent camped with a nice sleeping bag and no issues of being cold. The scenery is gorgeous around Flagstaff. In years past it's stormed so I was glad it didn't do that. It was at Fort Tuthill which was decent. I don't now how it compared to the previous location at Mormon Lake. It's about 7,000 feet elevation and I didn't rejet my Suzuki, it ran fine. Actually Sunset Crater is higher than in town, still no issues. I had a blast riding and seeing the sights. The Grand Canyon isn't too far away either.

Back