• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My H-D Pan America Nightmare

I have owned Hondas, Kawasakis over the years, both large and small bikes. Once I bought my first Harley, (road bikes all of them), I've never had any issues with any of them. The Pan America I bought, 2022, I was on a waiting list for 6 months. During break-in, the engine was a little noisy until the first oil change. So far no engine codes, the screen will not come up sometimes if I dont wait for a few seconds first. Sounds like a firmware update would prolly fix the screen issue, at leased that what I've heard.

New for today! The tach, speedo, ride modes, fuel gauge and everything on the display doesn't work anymore! Photo below taken with the engine running and filled with fuel!
I wonder if that issue is actually something left disconnected or such during the engine repair/installation process by a mechanic? Not trying to defend HD on this, but as a mechanic, when a new problem arises you usually go back to the last thing done to the bike. This bike appears to have had major heart surgery, and I can easily see this instrument panel thing being something done or not done upon reassembly...unless this was already a problem before all this engine stuff.

What would cure it if it were my bike is stop trying to make sweet lemonade from this sour lemon and refund my 20k. Plus. This has been a run around from the get go.
But if fixing it satisfies buyer, add more sugar.

Wow dude! I remember riding with you on a Livingston area ride when you had the Triumph. Sorry to see you having so many problems with this one! I really hope H-D does the right thing and takes care of you!

What a nightmare. Hope they sort it out. Thanks for sharing.

Update:. Dropped off at Mancuso 3/25 for them to work on the starter and the traction Ctrl/abs/ride modes. I called and talked to the service manager on 3/31 for an update. They only have one tech who can work on pan Americas and there is a que of other broken down brand new pan Americas that is so long they don't expect to be able to start working on it until the week of 4/18.

I called HD corp to complain and they said there is nothing they can do and they don't care how long it has to sit, or the total time it has been out of commission. Half joking, asked the HD corp guy if they were ok with the bike just sitting in the shop waiting for repairs for the entire length of the two year warranty. He stated that was possible as there is no amount of time spent in the shop that HD considered to be unreasonable or "too long.". I doubled down on the same question and confirmed that their official position is that it could sit in the shop for two years and they would not care.

They are proud of this 2021 at Dream Machines Round Rock if anyone wants one. Says extended warranty may be available.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230403-172936.png
    Screenshot_20230403-172936.png
    311.4 KB · Views: 76
maybe if you check with Mancuso crossroads they might could get to it sooner although this sounds like lemon law time.

HD is so close to death now they won't cover much of anything. I studied their financials a year ago for kicks and it was horrifying.

Well I turned over 16k miles in 13 months, even with all problems and work arounds up until this past weekend. New for this week - the key fob system is no longer working. That is not a huge problem by itself because you can enter a PIN number on the touch screen to access the ignition function if you are quick enough. The problem is that for the last 3 months the fuel pump will stop if the RPMs drop below 2,500 occasionally (once every few days) so the fix for that was to cycle the ignition and start her back up on the fly. However, now that the fob does not work, restarting with the touch pad while in traffic or on the highway (most commonly dies when shifting from 5th to 6th gear when settling into highway cruise speeds under low throttle/load) is a little more than I am willing to deal with. Dropped her off at Mancuso for next major repair. Since they will not repair/replace the fuel pump "until it goes out completely" I am hoping to get both the fuel pump and security fob both fixed due to the overlapping of these two issues.

So the tally so far: 1 was total engine replacement , 2 front cylinder melted umbilical, 3 total ecu death/replacement fail/replace, 4 traction control IMU sensor failure/replacement, 5 fuel pump fails (Harley will not fix until 100% fail) 6 security fob fail.

And yes, I changed the fob battery and, no, it is not in upsidedown. :-)

Wonder if maybe it's not the fuel pump and maybe something electrical. RPM's drop too low and the ecu or something shuts it down.

What bad PR for HD. They should have given you a new bike when the engine blew. It couldn't have cost them any more than what they payout for warranty work. Get it done quietly and be done with it. I was told they can't give the PA's away. I wouldn't touch one after reading all of this. This makes me angry for you. At least you have a dealer that's trying to help you out. I bet they aren't happy with corp either.

Last edited:
Back