• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pannier Organizers

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Winston
I have bmw aluminum panniers and top box for my 2015 GS800 adventure. I’m looking for a simple but effective (read: also affordable) way to keep smaller things in one spot when I ride, but also can pack larger things when I need to. Any suggestions?

I used garage sale / flea market toiletry bags of different shapes and colors

I never pay more than $1 per bag

keeps the small items together and makes for quick pannier rearrangement.

I just use liner bags for the panniers. They typically have pockets that I can stuff smaller items in. Even if I just throw things inside the main compartment, they tend not to roll around and are a lot more secure. I use grocery store plastic bags to separate things inside, if necessary.

Don't bend over and take it up the keister with "genuine" BMW or Wunderlich liners, unless you just feel like spending more money for little gain. I've bought Bestem liners before and they've always been good quality. I got these on sale and they work great:

41tqEphhWfL._SX425_.jpg

Not sure the exactly sizes of F800GS hard cases, but maybe they are similar enough that R1200GS bag liners would fit.

There's some little draw string stuff sacks at walmart in the camping section that are multi colored that I use for my everyday stuff. Blue bag for rain gear, red bag for electric liners, etc.

All great ideas! I got sticker shock looking at some before these suggestions!
The panniers are the same size as the 1200gs.

The panniers are the same size as the 1200gs.
In that case, I'd just go with a set of these: https://www.bestemusa.com/BMW-R1200...iners-Bags-with-Clear-Pocket--Pair_p_975.html

I bought a Bestem's top case liner for my Givi top cases, just because it was less than $20 at the time. I rarely use it though. On tour, I use the top case mainly for locking in my helmet at pit stops, as well as other sundry items I need quick access to during the day. Besides, things stored in a top loading top case, unlike side loading panniers, can't spill out easily, so there is much less need for a secondary container.

In the panniers is where I pack luggage I would haul into hotel room at night, and back to the bike in the morning. That's when the liner bags really come in handy. During the day, I don't normally dig into the panniers, as much as I do the top case.

GS's panniers are top loading, so you might use them differently.

Heavy duty clear zip lock bags. Craft pouches from Hobby Lobby. Tupperware like containers from Dollar stores, Wal-Mart, etc. Pouches from the hiking and camping area from Academy, Wal-Mart, or any sporting good store. I like clear containers so that I can see what is inside instead of opening each one.

Heavy duty clear zip lock bags. Craft pouches from Hobby Lobby. Tupperware like containers from Dollar stores, Wal-Mart, etc. Pouches from the hiking and camping area from Academy, Wal-Mart, or any sporting good store. I like clear containers so that I can see what is inside instead of opening each one.

+1 to that. I buy 2-gallon ziplock bags. You can put several folded tshirts, or two week's worth of socks or undershorts in a single bag. They're a bit tricky to find at the grocery store, but you can order them off Amazon. You can also buy compression bags in the luggage section at Walmart, but these are almost as roomy, and a whole lot cheaper.

There's some little draw string stuff sacks at walmart in the camping section that are multi colored that I use for my everyday stuff. Blue bag for rain gear, red bag for electric liners, etc.

that's what I use. I also use key ring tags (cardboard circle with metal rim) to help identify contents.

Anytime I passed a Goodwill, I would stop in and look over the bag options. I once found a watherPROOF bag for $6. I also found a... thermal lined breast pump bag that worked for well my food stuffs. Combined with zip lock bags, it all worked out well. I sometimes get odd looks from folks who recognize the breast pump bag. But HEY! I'm out on my bike living the dream. Who cares what they think.

Back