• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Panning shot taken at the Stockyards

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new on the TWT forums and I like photography so I thought this place would be a good place for me to jump in.

I'm a Nikon shooter currently shooting with a D700. I also shoot with a Nikon F3 film camera.

I took this panning shot at the Stockyards.

AJH2064.jpg

Nikkor 50mm, f/8, 1/15, ISO 200

I'm looking forward to getting to know the folks here and participating in some of the photo contests.

Your post has more talent in it, than I have to be able to critique it. I really like this shot, well exposed, the chrome nor white paint, is not blown out. I like being able to see motion in the wheels too.

My nit pick would be that this crop leaves a lot of space behind the bike, that is busy, and I wonder what it would look like if you come in to about the cameras left of the trash can?

I will not mention the Tennis Shoes, No Gloves and No Helmet, I will leave that for someone else ;)

Very well done, POST MORE!

Thanks for the compliment.

I had a very difficult time cropping this photo. I agree that space behind the rider should be cropped. I like the blue arcs and the yellow paint on the curb so I left it alone. It seems silly to me now, that I allowed those things to prevent me from making the proper crop. The subject is the rider, after all.

I'm curious to hear what others think.

Thanks for your feedback.

Very nice shot.

In terms of cropping - I would crop more off the right as well. People tend to start looking at a photo in the top left, then their eyes are lead into the picture by what is there. Ideally you want to "keep them in the picture" Right now My eyes see all the lights, travel down to the rider, and then are lead right back out the right side of the photo.

Try it out - look at the whole photo a few times and notice what your eyes do. Now cover up the right side to just in front of the trash can. Your eyes go from the left side to the rider, then right back to the lights, and you want to keep looking. I think it also really helps with the feeling of motion and that this guy is going somewhere.

Only other nitpick would be the white above the rider. It's overpowering and distracting - so if you were entering this into a print competition, I would get rid of that.

Great shot though! Panning shots are really fun to get right and they look really good too!

Thanks, Reuben. I agree with all of your comments and I appreciate you taking the time to post them.

I resized my web browser to crop the photo as you suggest and you're right about eye movement. I was not paying attention to that, but now I will. Thanks for the tip.

You guys are good!

I like the exposure and motion aspects.....

About the center of the pic, just above the beer sign is a red 'wave' that sort of makes me want to move from left to right. What do you think about a crop on the left side, just on the edge of the left side of the trashcan? That would put the rider in the right 1/3 of the frame and eliminate the yellow curb line too.

Still a great shot.

Ok, I've tried to re-crop and fix the white spot above the rider. I think this is about as good as I'm going to get with this photo.

Should we call this one completed?

AJH2064_fixed.jpg

:clap:

Great shot and the cropping is exactly what it needed.

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the help. I don't know where I picked up the habit, but for some reason I always center my subject in the frame when I take panning shots. I'm going to try and remember to position them towards the right side of the frame so I will not need to crop as much.

It's too bad I don't know who the rider is because I'd send them a copy of the photo.

Back