• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pee Paw's Scooter Shop Never a Dull Moment

So the paint is dry, I put them together to see how they look and I am happy. There is some finishing left, but I will do that early next week. Tried them out and now I have the things temporarily assembled and they look pretty good.

Don't I know it. I have some nibbles. Just need the right buyer....anyway, I finished the painting of the bags by sanding and polishing them today. Not too much work, but they came out ok. Waiting a couple of weeks to put a coat of wax on it all, should be fun.

Looks like closed cell to me and a nice job at that.

That is the second go round so now it is actually 2-3 in thick. The original stuff was as thin as 3/8 in in spots and I couldn't cool it. I bit the bullet and had the roof, the front and the high walls re-sprayed last year. The shop builder made it right by building us an electric gate to the property. I heated it all winter for an average of $100.00 per month at 65°F. The summer I keep it around 75°F for about $150 or so per month. Before that I couldn't heat it for $250 per month and for the same money could only get her down to 85°F. Moral of the story is to verify the foam thickness when they shoot it and insist on what you contracted for.

Original on left, respray on the right.

3/8" inch is much too thin as the r-value is about 7/inch. I owned an insulation company for 15 years and had 3 foam machines so am a little familiar with the product. If you get a chance you should paint it to protect it from light as it will slowly turn an orange color. Any latex based paint will do, just no oil based products.

I owned an insulation company for 15 years and had 3 foam machines so am a little familiar with the product.

Perfect.

@AndyA, I'm getting bids now to do my home (I'm doing a full gut / remodel). What intelligent questions should I be asking the contractors? I'm going to be doing open cell in all my exterior walls.

3/8" inch is much too thin as the r-value is about 7/inch. I owned an insulation company for 15 years and had 3 foam machines so am a little familiar with the product. If you get a chance you should paint it to protect it from light as it will slowly turn an orange color. Any latex based paint will do, just no oil based products.

If it just changes color that is fine. Does it degrade the foam?

If it just changes color that is fine. Does it degrade the foam?
Yes but it is very very slow. UV light breaks down the foam into a fine powder (think womens makeup fine). I am talking years and years here. It just becomes unsightly mostly in the mean time unless you like a burnt orange color. Again it would take several years to make a noticeable dent in the thickness.
I left some foam samples outside for 3 winters and summers taking core samples periodically. It affects only the exposed surfaces and did not affect the adhesion or cellular structure to any depth.

Did some DR-Z400SM carb work. Most of the work was getting it off so I could see what I had. I actually wrote it all down this time so I don't have to remember.

If you are a DR-Z guy, you might notice I tipped the subframe back a smidge to easily remove Mr. FCRMX39

Man those valves and guides still look good!

Money Shots

Well, we had an eventful month, more house repairs coming. I did a conversion on a rolling cart to mount up the Ninja Foodie. But most important, I just ordered a bazillion things for the SMCR. Hopefully we will get them in soon and start a-modding the thing. So excited should be fun.

So Munn shipped my skid plate, service manual and swingarm spools. Also, bonus round, I got the new air regulator for the shop. All installed, everything is great, here are a few pics.

oops, Rapid Air

I overbuilt it for what I actually needed. Turns out I use 3 drops. I have a few spare. The fittings are not included are rated at 30 SCFM. I am very happy with it, but could have probably installed the 1/2 in system and been fine.

Back