• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pee Paw's Scooter Shop Never a Dull Moment

So, got a text wake up this morning. Mitch thought I needed to ride to Godley for breakfast, apparently he was right, so I made it by 8:00. I got there and found I was the only non-beemer, as James, Ron and Mitch all rode one. Then we had a nice visit, ate breakfast and rode to PPSS. Ron seemed to enjoy it as did James. Was a good time. After they left Mitch and I pulled down that half of my air system and removed the baffles off of the SMR.

Of course, we used a 10 ft piece of PVC to hammer out the baffles. Wow! She sounds like a purring V-Twin. Was a good day all in. Just watched the Misano round of MotoGP. All I can share is wow! Watch it, great racing.

I got new pegs (stock of course) and brake pedal tip for the SMR. I may go put them on right now! Have fun.

So after I left PPSS, I scurried home to PPSS annex.

Cleaned off the lift from workbench duty, loaded the Beemer and changed the oil and filter.

Heckuva day ...

Well, the speedo on the Super Duke (the first one I "re-bought") was having some significant issues. The mode button has ceased to work without a lot of messing around, so I got it in a trip meter and had been using it like that. I bought a new one from KTM. Not as pricey as I thought it might be, but I had to provide VIN and mileage to them. It came set in KPH and I had to remember how to change it. Got her done, all good. So here are the removal/install picks.

What's in the box?

Works right out of the box!

For comparison here is the other Super Duke Speedo.....red line is slightly higher and the buttons are different.

Interesting that the red line is slightly higher on the SD than seemed to run better from the start. The one that you replaced the instrument cluster on is the one that you re-flashed to the same ecu map as the other. I'm thinking the ecu map in the one with lower red line is only for noise or emission test. The mechanical bits that would limit it are likely exactly the same.

Just thinking out loud. I find that kind of stuff interesting...

Also interesting that the printing of the numbers is so different. Definitely easier to read on the new one.

1. They require mileage and a VIN to sell it to you.

2. The instrument cluster has nothing to do with running of the bike, actually it runs fine without it. The lower redline is just there in the printing on the face.

3. I like the bigger numbers. Also the tach needle is way more stable on this one. Probably just a newer design. Buttons work well.

1. They require mileage and a VIN to sell it to you.
Yea, that's interesting, usually you hear of folks having to mark their title that the odometer is incorrect because it was replaced and zeroed out. I didn't know a manufacturer would send it programmed with the updated mileage.

All of my bikes say "exempt" in the odometer reading section of the title. Per the State of Texas, " The odometer reading is not needed on a vehicle that is 10 or more model years old, has a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 16,000 pounds, is sold by the manufacturer directly to an agency of the United States government, is not self-propelled, or is a new motor vehicle prior to its transfer to the first retail purchaser (select “Exempt” in box 10) ".

So except for the 690 SMC-R, all of my scooters are exempt because they are old. But, KTM does require the info. I think it matters to them. I thought one with 0 would be pretty cool, easy to track maintenance, etc. It came with 26k kilometers, that freaked me out, but I survived it. I do love the little snowflake that comes up if you get below 32 degrees on the temp. The RC-8R did that too. I guess that is telling you not to ride on ice?

I do love the little snowflake that comes up if you get below 32 degrees on the temp. The RC-8R did that too. I guess that is telling you not to ride on ice?
Do you even ride at anything close to those temperatures? :D
That's maintenance weather!

I'm surprised. I thought the odometer information was all stored in the ECU and the screen was just that, only a screen that displayed what the computer told it too, and some buttons.

I'm surprised. I thought the odometer information was all stored in the ECU and the screen was just that, only a screen that displayed what the computer told it too, and some buttons.

This is a 2008, so I am pretty sure that isn't the case. I discovered they run without the speedo when it got knocked off at the track! LOL. So it is effectively just a speedo and lights run off of sensors and probably gets the tach input from the ECU along with the FI issue lights.

I got my R&G Frame sliders in the mail today! Woo Hoo! Got rid of the faded ones!

So, I cleaned off a work bench. I sent Mitch a picture and he said, "Wow! It has a wooden top, didn't remember that!" I put a stack of nice fresh new KTM 950 SMR parts on it and off we go.

And, as always, brimming with confidence that this will go well and all will be easy! Why oh Why do I say these things?

Luckily the front stand lifted the tire 1/2" or so off of the lift. I need the longer pin, ordered that.

Then we loosen the upper triple, the fork cap and pull Mr. Leaky fork for repair.

So I take the cap off dump the oil and What!!!!!

Holy Cow!

Water in my rebound rod!!!!! Also a bit of corrosion. Not sure how that would happen, but not the best of things to happen.

Insides were clean just the rod seemed affected, cleaned the cartridge out well and all seems good. Used some 400/800/Scotchbrite on the rebound rod and she is all fixed up. Lots of stuff to replace.....

But, wait!!! I haven't got a 48 mm seal driver. Thought I did, but it is a 43mm. So I ordered one. Stopped on the forks.

So, I pull the carbs to do the rejet and install the Rottweiler intake. Guess what. 3 of 8 screws required conversion to flat to get them loose. No big deal, just annoying. I also gas slicked the shop, all in all it was a fun day.

More to come tomorrow. I am also considering sending off the shock for a rebuild since I am doing the forks. Might as well get it all done. More to come.

Back