• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

People And Their Dogs

Canines are predators and have good depth perception with binocular vision (like we have).
But they're not good at math and kinematics. Slowing down changes their intercept course and they can't compensate enough when you speed back up.
Yeah that’s what I meant. 🧐😁
Tho I have seen/know some drivers whose depth perception is questionable. 😑

Happened again, German Shepherd looking dog on Pursley Rd, Brazoria Co. near Manvel. Rode down it to look at all the construction going on and the destruction of yet another gravel road for the purposes of building more suburban boringness, and the dog ran off property on the way back thru. Never ends.

What is it with people and their dogs in rural areas? It seems like it's gotten worse over the last few years. I have several roads I have eliminated off of my riding list, especially the only decent riding near Pearland, because of dogs running off of property and chasing after me. We're talking gated properties with a fence, but the gates may be wide open. It's irresponsible and dangerous.
I ride west of Austin in hill country and rarely run into loose chasing dogs, but the other day had a hairy encounter (first time in years) pooch shot like a bat out of **** and angled to a spot 50 yards in front of me and stood in the road challenging me to pass. I slowed and aimed straight for him, waited for my moment when he backpedalled and then I gunned past him. Luckily he didn’t lunge too close. Next time I think I’ll keep one knee on the seat and raise my other leg up high in a kick stance just in case. (And remember to wear my tall leather boots)

When they are coming in from the side, I slow down and then accelerate away as they get near.
That's the technique I was taught a very long time ago.
They can't spin on a dime and that will throw them.

One of my running buds is deputy in our rural county. I asked him about laws and liability for dog owners when their dogs are vicious and hurt people. His answer..."your on your own." OK...not a problem but this is going to put a lot of dogs in the ground. Seems like a cruel way to force responsibility on their owners.
It’s not that you’re on your own, it’s that everything is set up so that only after the act happens can anything be done. State law can put the onus on the owner of a vicious dog to have a $100,000 liability policy and be required to restrain it.

Just take a guess what it takes for the dog to be labeled as such.

So if it’s going to take an attack (or something so close to an attack that it makes you think an attack is about to happen) from a dog, the likelihood that the dog is killed in the first place is substantially higher than the law being called.

Also, civil liability laws always apply, so you can being the owner to court for your costs at the hospital/doctor and, since prices are so high right now, for the bullet you had to use. Good luck squeezing blood from a stone with the owners though. I haven’t seen an aggressive dog from well-to-do types out in the country. It’s always from the shacks that will give you tetanus by looking at them.
Canines are predators and have good depth perception with binocular vision (like we have).
But they're not good at math and kinematics. Slowing down changes their intercept course and they can't compensate enough when you speed back up.
Interesting aside, there are several papers out there showing dogs (and maybe other animals, it’s been awhile since I’ve read them) can do calculus equations quite well. They have quite the knack for minimization of time.
That's the technique I was taught a very long time ago.
They can't spin on a dime and that will throw them.
They still teach it at the MSF basic rider’s course. No animal that a dog is ever going to be familiar with can accelerate like we do, so it gets them.

I fly dogs for Pilots n Paws rescue. The panhandle of Texas is the area I fly from, most of the dogs going to Wisconsin. It becomes overwhelming, if one thinks about the numbers of dogs we move. The woman who coordinates our flights will have as many as four flights going on the same day with as many as fifteen dogs being moved. If I could afford it, it is all volunteer, I could fly multiple trips weekly.

I’m a proud Texan but, Texans really fails when it comes to the care of our dogs.

I fly dogs for Pilots n Paws rescue. The panhandle of Texas is the area I fly from, most of the dogs going to Wisconsin. It becomes overwhelming, if one thinks about the numbers of dogs we move. The woman who coordinates our flights will have as many as four flights going on the same day with as many as fifteen dogs being moved. If I could afford it, it is all volunteer, I could fly multiple trips weekly.

I’m a proud Texan but, Texans really fails when it comes to the care of our dogs.
That's awesome, thank you. There's an amazing number of dog rescues up there that Texans coordinate with.

I have friends who were rescuing and fostering for Albert's Dog Lounge up there for a very long time (they specialize in senior dogs) and he was part of the "railroad" that got them all up there. Eventually they moved up there when he saw how pretty it was up there and couldn't take Houston suburbia and the postage stamp lot sizes anymore. He's fostered dozens of senior dogs in his home and reconnected with a lot of them when he moved there. And the dogs have not forgotten him and his wife. Lots of weekend drives, gas and hotels to meet halfway.

I have called the local sheriff a several times when I've seen neglect on my rounds. Walker, Bandera and Blanco county sheriff departments. Each time I was surprised at the quick response. And even got follow up info.
I'm guessing you live somewhere where the pace of life is pretty slow if you got those response times. They're probably happy to have something worthwhile to do. In the big city, even in my burbs, the priorities for responding to animal welfare calls are pretty low on the list. My Sheriff friends seem to have a lot of domestic and criminal activity keeping them busy for a whole tour.

I walk down our country road just about every day, I've gotten to know most of the animals along the way and occasionally see one running loose. One house has three German Shepherds and all three were loose in the front yard one day. I tried to put them back in the yard and before I could get the second one in, the first one jumped back over the fence. The owner has since raised it 18" to keep them in the yard. Yesterday I ended up taking home a sweet black Pitbull girl and a big red and white dog of some type. Hitting either would put a crimp in your day.

This little girl wanders free all the time. I've know her for about six years.
IMG_8059.JPEG

These two like to eat the green grass outside the fence.
IMG_8157.JPEG
IMG_8158.JPEG

The brown one is an escape artist. I've returned her home a few times.
IMG_8109.JPEG

I put her back in the fence and she jumped right into the trough.
IMG_8129.JPEG

This black Pitbull gets out regularly too. She's very friendly, but holy cow is she well muscled and has a huge head.
IMG_8131.JPEG

Disrupting the dogs timing (slow down and then speed up) works every time. They can compensate for the first change in speed but cant accelerate fast enough for the second speed change. Dogs can however time their intercept perfectly with you by the line of chase they use, making the timing disruption the best method to use. We as riders though should be respectful of people living in rural areas. As fun as it can be for us blasting down dirt roads, for the locals it kicks up a lot of dust, scares the cows off the fence and make dogs want to chase us. Not trying to be preachy here but we can be part of the problem sometimes.

Back