• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Periodically AWOL Headlight

cWj

Reaction score
First Name
mynameisnotslimshady
I thought I read a thread about this here on TWT, but the Great Engine of Search didn't reveal the desired results.

Has anyone experienced a headlight that goes out while riding? Mine appears to happen after a wire or wires in the connector going to the starter switch (so, presumably something to do with the starter headlight cutout getting crossed up) heats up. When the system has been off for a while, the light behaves. After being on a while, I can wiggle the wires coming out of said connector and cause the light to flicker. I remember reading somewhere that the solution was to just replace the starter switch module (with it's offending wire set).

That appears to be my solution, I'm just wondering if anybody here has come across this and what the solution was for you.

Thanks

cwj

You are correct in that the headlight wiring goes through the handlebar switches, as well that it also goes through the ignition switch. There is at least 4 connectors along the way from the battery to the headlamp itself, any one of these could cause issues. If you have put in heavy wattage bulbs this would make any existing problem much worse. Put the thin wire that Suzuki uses into the mix and its a wonder any power gets to the bulb.

One of the better upgrades is to rewire the headlight with a new relay and fused back to the battery with decent gauge wire. Then just use the existing bike wiring to trigger the relay. The lower power draw of the new relay might be small enough the issue with the offending connector/switch might "disappear".

Back