• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Want to Buy Phase II - BMW R1200 RT

Hmm

Reaction score
I have backed away from looking for an older Goldwing due to the weight involved and discovered that an R1200RT is a heck of a lot lighter motorcycle with all the whistles and bells that the Wing has. The bike is going to be for solo riding and I am thinking the sweet spot on pricing might be 2016/2017 models. I welcome any thoughts from those who are more knowledgeable than I am.

Turn loose the hounds!!! (It worked well on my GW project anyways!! :lol:)

Great choice. I've been riding a R1200RT for awhile now. Smooth, comfortable, good power. Appreciate the 7 gal fuel capacity and cruise control. In fact, I never get to ride mine (3 kids) and would be willing to let it go to a new home. It's production date is a little earlier (2007) than you had noted, but it a gem with every service record since new. It'll save you some $$$.

Great choice. I've been riding a R1200RT for awhile now. Smooth, comfortable, good power. Appreciate the 7 gal fuel capacity and cruise control. In fact, I never get to ride mine (3 kids) and would be willing to let it go to a new home. It's production date is a little earlier (2007) than you had noted, but it a gem with every service record since new. It'll save you some $$$.
Obi-wan, I’m looking for a R1200RT. Do you have more information? Maybe some pics? How many miles?

They are great bikes. I have had a few. Great handling and all day comfy. Lighter than the competition too. I have a 1250RT now. But they are all good.

JBH, thanks for the comments. I am actually looking to buy a BMW R 12?? RT. My wish: go buy one of the new R1250RT’s. My reality: Not enough $$$ for new right now. I am using my 2001 Honda Nighthawk 750 now for commuting to work ... very enjoyable. Looking to upgrade. If anyone knows of a BMW R1200RT or 1250RT for sale, I’d be interested in checking it out.

My 1250 was slightly used when I bought it. I had a 1200RS before. Then also a 2012 1200RT before. The water cooled motor is great. But the oil cooled 2012 RT was still a great ride.

JBH, thanks for the comments. I am actually looking to buy a BMW R 12?? RT. My wish: go buy one of the new R1250RT’s. My reality: Not enough $$$ for new right now. I am using my 2001 Honda Nighthawk 750 now for commuting to work ... very enjoyable. Looking to upgrade. If anyone knows of a BMW R1200RT or 1250RT for sale, I’d be interested in checking it out.
Hey Professor T - How bout you post your search in your own thread which you start yourself? I don't appreciate you hijacking my thread.

Urban Dictionary: Thread Hijacking

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thread Hijacking
A thread hijacking occurs when one or more individuals commenting on the original posting, go off topic, creating a separate conversation. This is rude, and bad internet etiquette. If people want to discuss a different topic, they should start their own thread.

I just heard of a 2009 R1200RT , black, 10000 miles, near mint that may be for sale and priced nicely. PM me if interested and I'll try to reach out to the guy. I had a 2007 GSA (same motor as the 2009 RT) and put 82K on it before selling to a gent outside Elgin. It was a super sweet bike.

The only prohibitive I think of is BMW maintenance costs.
If you do your own fluid changes and valve checks, it's not a problem.
Rarely do the late boxer BMW's need a valve adjustment, but if they do they are $$$ thru the dealership.
A little tedious but you can do your own valve adjustments and save hundreds of dollars.
Thru 09 the valves are screw adjustment type.
10- 13 they are shim-over type (actually easier than the screw type IMHO)
Wet heads are shim under cam. (pull the cams. scary procedure but you can to it. cams are gear driven and you don't have to mess with a drive chain.)

That said, the 2010 and up boxers rarely need a valve adjustment. I put 120k miles on a camhead RT and it was never out of adjustment and never needed work
My 1200R had 35k and never needed adjustment.
My 1200RS wethead has 32k on it and doesn't need adjustment.
My new 1250 RT had 23k on it and doesn't need it.

So unless something actually breaks the maintenance costs shouldn't scare you and procedures are actually quite fun if you do them yourself.

Grab something like the GS911 code reader and the electronic maintenance can be doe on your own too. https://www.hexcode.co.za/

SS

My 2011 GSA is still in spec at 42K, but I still check em about every 10K. My 07's needed screw type adjustments on at least one or two valves by just a tweak pretty routinely about 5-6K. The oilheads start backfiring on deceleration was the telltale sign. I've never had any BMW in the shop for maintenance other than recalls in probably 400K miles I've put on BMWs, between airheads, two K1200Rs's, oilheads and the cam head I ride now. I don't see cost of ownership any higher than any other bike brand if you do the maintenance work yourself. More frequent maintenance on the airheads due to carb sync, points and condenser, setting timing, and a 3K valve adjustment interval if I remember correctly. Those were the days. Taking any bike to a shop is a big expense these days. I would not want to take in a modern bike like a ZX10 for a valve adjustment, without a fat wallet. And, it's why I've never owned a Ducati to be honest as they were the highest cost of em.

Back