• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #14: Man's Best Friend

can we go

max_142.JPG

That's cute Steve.

V-
Funny you post that.... My sisters lab has the cognative abilities mentioned in the article. You can say "Where's your duck"? and she'll go to her 'toy bin' and pull out the duck. Say "Where's your lobster"? and she brings the lobster. Same for the "light bulb" and all her toys. We're figuring out how we can get the niece and dog into the study.

Our "first born" was a smart dog named Beauregard - German Shepherd mix. We lived on the 13th floor of an apartment building near Hanau, West Germany and had a balcony overlooking the autobahn. Beau liked to stand up and watch traffic over the concrete half-wall, but we didn't like the traffic noise. The balcony had a swinging glass door rather than a sliding one, so my wife taught Beau to push the door open (into the apartment) when we wanted to come in and she taught him to push it closed once he was in.

We went on a trip and had a fried house sit for us. She was amazed at how smart Beau was - she told him to shut the balcony door and he looked right at her and then went and shut the door!

Like all first born, Beau was the smartest.

Jerry - I simply LOVE that puppy! Great shot! Reminds me a bit of old Beau.

Lot's of great shots in the pre-entry thread!

Remember, this assignment closes at midnight tonight - so get your ENTRY in by then!

Good Luck to everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone did with this one.

Here is Conner in the back yard after a big snow storm here in central Texas a couple years ago.

Attachments

• DSC_0760edited.jpg
    DSC_0760edited.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 208
V-
Funny you post that.... My sisters lab has the cognative abilities mentioned in the article. You can say "Where's your duck"? and she'll go to her 'toy bin' and pull out the duck. Say "Where's your lobster"? and she brings the lobster. Same for the "light bulb" and all her toys. We're figuring out how we can get the niece and dog into the study.

Our friends at one point had a border collie that was cazy smart like that. They had names for all her toys and kept them in a bin/bucket thing and you could ask fot the toy by name and she would dig through and bring it to you. She was also a freak for her tennis ball, and she knew when ever I can over I'd play ball with her. Every time we went to their house, as soon as the dog saw me, she went and got the tennis ball.

heck even my wife's idiot mutt will go get a toy on command if she's in the mood to play (not as good as the border collie, she just knows: rope and bob, bob being any squecky toy). If she's not then she does what she wants. I'm not sure but I think that dog has us trained.

this is my aussie Dixie...

dixie.jpg

my wife's worthless mutt Pebbles...

pebbles.jpg

newcameratestshots002.jpg

My sister's labs [taken for a previous photo contest]...
616530040_PR9em-L.jpg

Everytime I see this I keep thinking there's some famous picture that is almost identical. I remember a couple of labs or large breeds on a sofa with the same expressions.

Anybody else remember that shot?

I hope you don't mind that I edited this. It would look great in some kind of print ad:

dogzoncouchkreitzedit.jpg

the only 2 shots of man's best friend I have on file are both taken prior to the contest start. bummer. Not that either one is winning material, I just hate to see so little postings in the contest threads. I am guilty of not posting, but for the last 6/8 weeks, I have been all over the place and my TWT time is almost no existent anymore...

Anyway. Seen on the street in Hot Springs, AR; but taken on Sept. 6th.

656870922_JFe2A-L.jpg

Just took these this afternoon for this contest.. my first time entering (I'll pick one for the other thread). Just thought I'd share my faves of our 7 week old pups:

pups-1.jpg

pups-10.jpg

pups-11.jpg

pups-2.jpg

pups-3.jpg

pups-4.jpg

pups-5.jpg

pups-6.jpg

pups-7.jpg

pups-8.jpg

pups-9.jpg

A day late for the official thread and cell phone rather than camera - but here's Harley the lap dog, all 70 pounds of his lovable self. Should have named him Mr. Magoo.

Attachments

• Harley lap dog.jpg
    Harley lap dog.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 211
a good west texas mutt.. lol. Actually they knew the mom was half border collie half aussie shepherd, not sure who the daddy was. The two are sisters.

The Dog Ranch herd

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2034.jpg
    IMG_2034.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 209
Our newest addition is a 6 yo Weimie named Chance... compliments of the McKinney SPCA he joined my best pal Trevor on Saturday... my philosophy is that if dogs can actually add years to a person..perhaps one would add a couple of more years to my pal Trev...so we were off to see, we introduced the two and they hit it off like white on rice...Trevor actually played with him!!! Trev has not played d in years.. And even though the day ended with a nice dose of anti-inflammatory for him.. He was one happy fellow... Chance I think is also happy.. They even groom each other too!!!

History on Chance... a product of divorce, he does not like loud noises and seems to have some allergy issues... he seems to also have imaginary friends that live in the trees... so he runs between the two oaks in the back yard until he is exhausted. Trev hangs with him for a little while and then he is off to find a cool spot and spectate:mrgreen:

One thing we did learn about Chance over the weekend is that he does not like wrestling.. Me and Loyed were doing that in the kitchen and Chance came from out of the bed room and rammed Loyed to get him off of me... I am sure that this guy has seen his share of not so playful interactions.. Either way it was nice to see he was protective of mommy on his first day in the house.. Enjoy the pics (even though they are not that great),, more coming soon I am sure!!

The drive home (he was like this the WHOLE way
kdk_0222.jpg

Checking out the new casa
kdk_0228.jpg

PLAY!!!
kdk_0227.jpg

End of day collaps :clap: (Trevor stayed close and not on his bed)
kdk_0230.jpg

Back