• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #19 - Rusty Things (ENTRY HERE)

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
Post your single entry for Photo Assignment #19 - "Rusty Things" in this thread.

Your photograph has to have been taken between November 23rd and Monday, December 7th midnight.

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted. Photographs should stand on their own for your interpretation of "Rusty Things".

You may post only one entry, but you may change it any time until midnight, Monday, December 7th.

Last edited by a moderator:
728473245_BrwHM-L.jpg

Excellent photos y'all...

Now that I am back home and next to the internet again. I will put my critique together and let you all know my pick.

This is going to be hard....

Tracker - I like the spurs and bit a lot. With the patina on the brass of the spurs, as well as the rust on the bit, looks like they have been hanging on the side of a barn for years. I wish that the ring on the bit and the top left of the spur were not cropped out of the photo though.

Voni - You do like red don’t you :) I wonder just how long this has sat out in the weather of your desert down there? The rust is really neat the way it has accumulated, almost looks like red powdered sugar has been sprinkled / dusted. Just what is this piece of iron affixed too?

rad3766 - I really like the color spectrum in this shot. The rusty deck reminds me of when I worked offshore, well that and that big shackle too. Something tells me that this is not just an optical illusion, and that shackle and pin are really THAT BIG! I wish that there were more deffiniton between the deck and the ears of the shackle and pin to the front/bottom of the photo.

M38A1 - Did you sneak over to my grand dads place and capture this photo? No.... probably not, but that old vice and even the hammer head reminds me of his place. I like the depth of field and focus, really makes the vice jump out of the photo, almost 3D like. The harsh shadow on the floating jaw is my only complaint.

I really enjoy all of these photos, but there can only be one, and that one this challenge is rad3766, your photo is the one I like most.

Thanks Duke, and to Tracker, Voni, and Scott.
Scott, good Lord is that an old timey vise; funny thing is, I had a vise picture I was gonna enter also, just didnt like the coloring.

Duke, thats a 50 ton rated shackle on the business end of a 2-1/4 tow wire on the tug I work on; its about 20'' long overall, not something you'd wanna have drop on your foot. :eek2:

Down to brass tacks; camera used was my trusty little Kodak c340, no flash and on a 2 second timer. Thats as technical I get with the camera gear, I couldnt tell an F stop from a door stop.
I did run the shot thru an edit program to give the color some more 'pop', the original is actually pretty bland. :giveup:
See you all at assignment #20.......(think water....:trust: :mrgreen:)

Congrats, Bob. That was a great pic and great colors. Has an HDR feel to it. Looking forward to the next challenge.

Nice entries everyone!

The colors of Bob's shot just jumped out at me as well. I know rust and steel can do those purple shades pretty well.

Can't wait for the next one Bob.

Back