• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Tech day 2/27 9am-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodButcher

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
Myers
Anybody in the Austin area interested in the idea? We do this to teach people how to fix bikes, how about a skills sharing for cameras?

We can cover lighting (specially if M38A1 is in), camera/lens adjustment. Basics of shooting and composing. Maybe even post processing on the computer.

Okay, so Duke and Scott (M38A1) have volunteered to cover stuff. Duke will do an organized talk about post processing. Scott will do off camera flash. The off camera we'll have umbrellas, stands, softboxes, flashes. We'll talk about that and then we can all do some of it. Maybe somebody will bring a model? (TM?) Hopefully I'll have a background support up by then too. I fully anticipate side topics as people just start talking with each other about what they know, or want to learn. I'm having a blast with the macro lens, but I'm still learning that. Happy to share info though. And there are usually birds at the feeder in the backyard if anybody wants to work on that. Or we go down to the local lake and look for ducks, herons and egrets.

Here's the list I have so far:

Scott (M38A1)
Scott (Tourmeister)
Duke
Dave (Not Dave)
first name? txtex85
Kyle (Deco) - afternoon
Jennifer (SweetPotatoFries) - part day
Bill (DFW_Warrior)
Camilo (cdc) - part day
Devientartist
Casey (gotdurt) - part day

Maybes

At this point I only have Scott Friday staying at the house so I have some bed space left. Bill is grabbing another bedroom. That leaves one bed in my computer room available.

And an address would probably help. 8900 Brushygate Cv. Austin, 78717. I'm basically on the west side of Round Rock, before you reach Cedar Park.

Last edited:
Re: Photo Tech day

I'm game....

You were generous several years ago along with Scott B to host/teach one of these at the church. That's where I can safely say some of my friendships were borne with other TWT members. (i also learned some new cool stuff...) So yeah, we should do something like this again.

Ohhh.... I so want to do this! Hopefully, I'll get luck with the date you pick and be free. I really enjoyed it when we got together over at Duke's place a while back and experimented with stuff.

I might be able to make it down. It just depends on the dates.

Might be cool to have some specific topics/techniques/exercises in mind to kind of keep people from just sitting around talking without actually getting much done. Is that what you had in mind or just photo nuts getting together to goof off?

Well, my wife just told me she is heading out to Phoenix for a couple of weeks in February. So to make it easy on her, maybe we could do it then. She hasn't picked the dates yet, so let me know what weekend would work for you all and I'll update the first post with possible dates.

And yes, I'm thinking some specific items. I think lighting, single flash, multiple, umbrellas, softbox as one think. Do it kind of like a workshop, set it up and everybody gets to shoot some to see how it works. I'm willing to let people try my lenses too, so some test "driving" of equipment might be good. And definitely some time with a computer showing how to process pictures from camera to web. If we have a clear night, then tripods in the backyard. Not great here, but better than downtown Austin.

I guess I'm volunteering my place. I have two guest rooms, one with a queen sized bed and one with a double. Plus a fold out in the computer room. And two big sofas. So all day one Saturday. Beds available for Friday and Saturday nights.

I'm thinking I can clear out the living/dining room for use as a studio.

Oh, and the wife says it doesn't have to be while she is gone. I'm just being nice about it. So we could do another time.

We have several things going on in Feb, but if the date works I would love to come along and learn!
Jennifer

What kind of beer should I get?

I'm interested in processing.

Well... the only weekend I am free from work or other stuff will be Feb 26-28 :doh: I'd say don't plan around me if that is hard for other folks. Being on 24 hr call every other week/weekend really kills the ability to do things on weekends out of town.

What kind of beer should I get?

I'm interested in processing.

Good idea, Product Photography.

Processing what? Images or beer? :rofl:

Jennifer, you are just the sort of person we are thinking about.

Scott, I'm fine with putting a pin on the calendar for that weekend to start with. We'll see who else chimes in with dates. Or are you volunteering your place since you can't get away? :rofl::lol2::duck:

Thanks Rusty, sounds like a great learning opportunity! We are supposed to help with a chili supper fundraiser for band on the 27th (as of now)... Mid afternoon to early evening.

Mark and I may have to catch the next one.

Jennifer

Last edited:

Product Photography???????:ponder:

Tom

My place would definitely be better for night time sky shots ;-)

I don't have room for folks to sleep inside, but I do have camping room out back. I don't really have a good room to use as a "studio" for setting up lights and stuff. The backroom that I used to use has been taken over by a baby grand piano and other assorted furniture so that now it is kind of cramped.

I wonder what it might cost to use a conference room at a hotel somewhere for the day? That would allow people to sit at tables, maybe setup one area as a "studio", and provide space in the event of nasty weather. There are a few here in town and I could check. We have relatively close camping at Sam Houston State Park and Stubblefield down in the SHNF. And... there is my backyard :-P

Or, we could just meet in Austin as originally suggested since that might be where more people are coming from.

What did you guys do when Scott Bromley(?) did that class up in DFW?

What did you guys do when Scott Bromley(?) did that class up in DFW?

I'm sure Scott will chime in, but it frequently works with a studio and worked it out with the owner to give us a pretty good deal on it. That was a hoot being in a professional environment; but honestly I felt a little out of place as that isn't the shooting that I typically do.

I'm sure Scott will chime in, but it frequently works with a studio and worked it out with the owner to give us a pretty good deal on it. That was a hoot being in a professional environment; but honestly I felt a little out of place as that isn't the shooting that I typically do.

Yeah, my shooting is more walk around stuff rather than a setup studio. Think of things like family events, Pie runs, Ron's fish fries, kids zipping around on their motorcycles, etc,... Mostly people pics. I would like to better understand how to use the flash in terms of getting the desired exposures and such.

I use off camera flash quite often, just not in a studio environment. I love being able to add my own light in case nature isn't quite cooperating with me.

When Scott B. did the class in Austin, I got space at my church, but I don't go there anymore, plus they moved to a smaller location. I wasn't thinking of something as formal as his class was though. More of a get a volunteer to do a short talk on the subject, then start the hands on and let the questions lead the rest of the session. Break, then move on to the next thing. Leaving time for lunch and free form shooting. I've got some tolerant resident birds too. So if there are some outdoor shooters, we can harass the squirrels and shoot some birds. Or down to the nearby lake for some Heron and Egrets.

Thankfully I have weekends off in February. Ron's fish fry is the 20th which Melody and I plan to go to. The other three Saturdays, 6/13/27, I'm available to join you's guy's. Uncle's Around the Bend is the weekend of the 27th but I won't be there.

I would be willing to put on a LR inservice, I may not be good at picture taking, but I got LR down pretty good, or willing to assist Nikon shooters in learning their kit.

I can chit chat a little about off camera flash on a budget. Heck, I put on a little class down in Terlingua a few years back and I'm pretty sure I still have the handouts around here somewhere.

I would be willing to put on a LR inservice, I may not be good at picture taking, but I got LR down pretty good, or willing to assist Nikon shooters in learning their kit.

I still haven't gotten comfortable with LR. I feel completely out of control of the catalog system for some reason. Maybe it is because my brain is wired more like a PC than a Mac? I kind of have the same issue with the Garmin Basecamp program. Of course, I could use some good instruction for how to actually use LR to tweak images. I generally move a few sliders around until it looks like I want, but that's about the extent of my abilities in LR.

Okay, let's call this a go for Feb. 27th, my house. 8900 Brushygate Cv. Austin TX. Basically, I'm on the west side of Round Rock, so north of Austin. Round Rock just hasn't annexed us yet.

I have two guest rooms and a third room with a nice fold out twin bed. So if anybody wants to come in to town on Friday night or stay until Sunday morning then PM me to reserve some space.

Duke, Scott (M38A1) and I will do some teaching, but it will all involve everybody also doing. Specially with the lighting stuff. We'll have some space set up with lights and reflectors and softboxes so we can play with all sorts of on and off camera lighting. Duke will talk about post processing images. Weather permitting, we'll do some stuff outside and if anybody stays the night, we can goof around in my light polluted backyard doing stars and light painting.

Please post up if you are planning on coming. Bring a camera, which I'm figuring most have, PM me if you want to use my extra Canon dslr. Optional items, and bring if you have, flash, laptop, tripod. For lunch, I'll either have food at the house, or we'll run out for a group lunch to get a break and just talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back